Media Izzy Adesanya Sparring Rumble

I never understood the Jones and Adesanya comparisons other then them looking alike
Really? I think Izzy and Jones striking is similar in a few aspects.

Both rely on distance managment. They throw a vast arsenal of punches/kicks/etc. They dont have a lot of pop in their punches... more like volume strikers. They are very cerebral... very very calculated and spend the entire time reading their opponents.

Jones has wrestling and top game.

Sparring long sons of bitches is the worst. They can just pitter patter and you have to look like the try hard when getting inside, making it progressively turn into a fight

idk im having flashbacks
I hate them. Specially when you sparr in an open space and they have a lot of room to move.
And when you find one of them that can fight in the inside it is like a nightmare.

Still crazy that he fought at 170...

rumble.jpg
Rumble has got to hold the record for biggest natural size cut in MMA history. This dude was walking around at 220 and fighting at 170. 50 lbs? Fucking nuts. I don't think anybody is even close....

Really? I think Izzy and Jones striking is similar in a few aspects.

Both rely on distance managment. They throw a vast arsenal of punches/kicks/etc. They dont have a lot of pop in their punches... more like volume strikers. They are very cerebral... very very calculated and spend the entire time reading their opponents.

Jones has wrestling and top game.

Difference is Jones can toy with his opponent for the first 1-2 rounds no problem, Israel can't. His fight vs Anderson was horrible, it was just Anderson showing off and we became aware of how weak Israel KO power is and how he gets scared when the pressure is too much for him, especially when it is such a different style that Israel is used too.

Kelvin will probably charge in, close the distance and keep him there, he may even just focus on ring control and keep Israel near the cage just, so he can submit or KO Israel.

Difference is Jones can toy with his opponent for the first 1-2 rounds no problem, Israel can't. His fight vs Anderson was horrible, it was just Anderson showing off and we became aware of how weak Israel KO power is and how he gets scared when the pressure is too much for him, especially when it is such a different style that Israel is used too.

Kelvin will probably charge in, close the distance and keep him there, he may even just focus on ring control and keep Israel near the cage just, so he can submit or KO Israel.
Anderson vs Adesanya is not comparable to Kelvin fight IMO. Adesanya and Anderson was a calculated sparring session. Both guys are at their best when theirs opponent charge and open themselfes. Neither did that and ergo that was a low paced sparring match. I (as a guy who has been training kickboxing for a long time) enjoyed it a lot but I can see why people didnt.

Said that.. the difference between Jones and Izzy is that Jones has the wrestling, the top game and the hellbows. He likes to play with his food A LOT. Both guys are uber confident but Jones skillset makes him being able to have a plan B, C, D, etc. while if Israel offensive arsenal is only striking.

For example.. I think JBJ could have taken down Anthony Smith and elbowed his head into another galaxy at any point of the fight. He did that with Gus who has better TDD and grappling defense than Smith.
But somehow Jones never wanted to do that. Some can say he wanted octagon time... I think he really enjoys being there and dominate guys.

I can see Kelvin pushing Israel against the fence for extended periods of time, making him think twice and getting the nod that way. Hell he might KO Adesanya if Israel makes a defensive mistake. The key for Kelvin is to mix his striking with his grappling all night long.
If it becomes a striking match without much grappling/clinching then Israel is going to make Kelvin look like a fool.. but luckly for Gastelum this is MMA and not Kickboxing.

Yeah but who benefits more from a light/medium spar? The more technically fluid fighter is going to benefit more... less KO chance makes the fight less volatile and winning on points easier. The lighter guy who can keep pepping away scoring points using his speed is going to benefit more, while the power puncher is going to suffer because he can't play to his strengths. Rumble's game is exploding at 100% and knocking you the fuck out.
It’s a sparring session mate... no one wins they are training.

Back