It's squaturday!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Long time lurker who finally signed up the other day. This seems like the ideal place to make my first post. Been squatting for about 2 months now, yesterday I done:

70kg x 8 x 2
80kg x 5 x 2
90kg x 5
95kg x 5
97.5kg x 5
100kg x 5

Added goblet squats, barbell lunges and leg press in also.

Welcome, get yourself a training log on here!

165kgx4
165kgx4
165kgx3

Triple at 170kg next - then on to new 1RM max.

135x5
185x5
225x5
255x5
275x5
295x5
295x3
295x5
295x3

Should I be doing more reps with my warmup weight or something? Or should I do less than 5 reps once I get close to my work set weight? My working sets kind of sucked today, i didn't feel like I warmed up quite right.

Last edited:
Way too much effort on your warm ups. This would be an improvement.

135x5
185x3
225x2
255x1
275x1
295x5
295x3
295x5
295x3

This is probably a stupid question and I will get flamed but whatever, I'll take my shot...
How do you squat safely if you have a lower back injury (herniated disc)? Are there any alternative exercises?

Getting back from a back injury, and now I'm freaking tail-tucking on back squats. I'm horribly inflexible, and have been unable to correct this with almost any amount of stretching - incredibly frustrating, even diligent stretching every day seems to make marginal if any difference.

So... what's the word on correcting tail-tucking? Squat above parallel and just go deeper and deeper progressively? This will fuck royally with the weights I'm able to use, and seeing as I never seem to get any more flexible no matter what I do I'm not sure that I'll ever get to depth :mad:

Also, if stretching is the way, what stretches should I do?

EDIT: squatting with a board under my heels helps me to not tail-tuck, but throws my balance and puts me on my toes - should I get squatting/oly shoes and hope that they magically correct my tail-tucking?

Getting back from a back injury, and now I'm freaking tail-tucking on back squats. I'm horribly inflexible, and have been unable to correct this with almost any amount of stretching - incredibly frustrating, even diligent stretching every day seems to make marginal if any difference.

So... what's the word on correcting tail-tucking? Squat above parallel and just go deeper and deeper progressively? This will fuck royally with the weights I'm able to use, and seeing as I never seem to get any more flexible no matter what I do I'm not sure that I'll ever get to depth :mad:

EDIT: squatting with a board under my heels helps me to not tail-tuck, but throws my balance and puts me on my toes - should I get squatting/oly shoes and hope that they magically correct my tail-tucking?
Heeled shoes will help, yes. Rippetoe says most "butt winking" is from people not pushing their knees out. I agree with him, as this helped my squats immensely.

I know a lot of people here dont like these cause he is a Crossfitter.

Day 1/3 squat cycle - YouTube

Squat 2/3 - YouTube

Squat 3/3 - YouTube

also the ten minute squat test

for me it wasnt so much stretching muscles, more hip mobility when i was tail tucking.

also when i setup, deep breath, swallow and hold, tight stomach, squeeze butt hard, open hips/knees out, then squat

question to everyone
did anybody develop some type of knee pain from squats and deadlifts?
i only did deadlifts and squats once a week on different days.
im a skinny guy(128) so squats was like 95 x 5, deadlift 140 x 5
after a few months there was just some subtle friction i felt on my knee, and there was no pain at all so i just continued doing lifts.
halfway into the year, played basketball with some friends. my knee had that "clicking noise" everytime i jumped, or moved laterally. it got so bad, i basically started jumping on my other leg.
2 years later... i still have this problem, knee clicks everytime i bend it and pain worsens with repetition i think i have some type of chrondomalacia/osteoarthritis....at freaking 21 yrs old...

Last edited:
Besides some occasional knee pain I'm good. Though, I'm not blaming squatting for the knee pain, it's always been there. Perhaps you were doing something incorrectly, knotz ?

i do remember that my feet wasnt always flat when doing deadlifts, like at times my heels were off from the ground a bit, maybe that put more tension to my knee?

question to everyone
did anybody develop some type of knee pain from squats and deadlifts?
i only did deadlifts and squats once a week on different days.
im a skinny guy(128) so squats was like 95 x 5, deadlift 140 x 5
after a few months there was just some subtle friction i felt on my knee, and there was no pain at all so i just continued doing lifts.
halfway into the year, played basketball with some friends. my knee had that "clicking noise" everytime i jumped, or moved laterally. it got so bad, i basically started jumping on my other leg.
2 years later... i still have this problem, knee clicks everytime i bend it and pain worsens with repetition i think i have some type of chrondomalacia/osteoarthritis....at freaking 21 yrs old...

Be very careful that your knee doesn't travel in under your body whilst squatting - I injured my knee by letting it do that.

Overhead squats with a broomstick or PVC pipe. When I do them, they force me keep lumbar arch and prevent me from butt-winking. I do some pretty much every lifting session, even if it isn't a squat day. They have really, really improved my ability to squat to depth without lumbar/pelvic shenanigans. And also good for the shoulders.

i do remember that my feet wasnt always flat when doing deadlifts, like at times my heels were off from the ground a bit, maybe that put more tension to my knee?

Yes. Quite a lot.
Don't do that. :)

Be very careful that your knee doesn't travel in under your body whilst squatting - I injured my knee by letting it do that
did you tear your pcl?

Yes. Quite a lot.
Don't do that.
i think the reason i did that was because i worried about the bar hitting my shin as i go up, and doing that partial heel raise was easier for me.
pfff guess i was wrong, no more squats and deadlifts for me

Front squats getting back in line from knee pain.

265x5 ... recent PR and done as assistance at the end of a DL day.

Overhead squats with a broomstick or PVC pipe. When I do them, they force me keep lumbar arch and prevent me from butt-winking. I do some pretty much every lifting session, even if it isn't a squat day. They have really, really improved my ability to squat to depth without lumbar/pelvic shenanigans. And also good for the shoulders.
stupidsexyJaunty! Thanks!

squat
4x9 252 lbs.

Every day is squaturday,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back