• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Its insane how great you have to be to beat Aldo....Even a shot Aldo

I'm simply stating an evidence, which is that both Conor and Max starve themselves and face Aldo in 10+ lbs size/weight advantage.

No more no less but cut the BS about "timing and precision" instead of size while pretending to ignore the reach/height advantage talking about fighters who use the range, not the weight.

The difference being that Max actually did beat Aldo, twice, by being the bigger man who wore him down across multiple rounds, meanwhile Conor actually did win in seconds using superior timing and precision.

He's been fighting so long...A former champion, now the Supreme Gatekeeper of the division...which is crazy. Usually former champs fall hard, like we all know. Hopefully he gets a chance at the belt again.

He won the WEC FW belt in 2009 ffs, and is knocking on the door for a titleshot in 2022!

Font is a BEAST and he had almost nothing for a carcus of Aldo

Only fighters to DECISIVELY beat Aldo below 155

peak Conor at his weight bullying best
prime Max
prime Volk
prime Yan

All top 5 P4P fighters at the time they beat him. Marlon beat him but not decisively many thought Jose won

he def no shot rob font beast old Aldo starch hum tho I agree

Gotta admit he's the man. Seemed he lost a step for a bit after the Conor fight "relatively speaking" but has absolutely stepped it up again - big ups to the man.

It shows how good he was at his best. Had no glaring weakness. The sad part in it is the inevitable continuous decline, but since those losses he's been raising the level needed to beat him. I'm more interested to see him vs Sandhagen now, and think Sterling is a favorable match-up. While Yan's too fresh in the game.

It shows how good he was at his best. Had no glaring weakness. The sad part in it is the inevitable continuous decline, but since those losses he's been raising the level needed to beat him. I'm more interested to see him vs Sandhagen now, and think Sterling is a favorable match-up. While Yan's too fresh in the game.

Yan, Cory and TJ are the only 3 i can see beating Aldo rn but some of the up and comers are rising fast

Yan, Cory and TJ are the only 3 i can see beating Aldo rn but some of the up and comers are rising fast

The TJ fight is badass. Not sure if TJ takes it, he wants the title, but it would be a great 5-rounder to watch. Over most title fights actually. I give Aldo a good chance to win it. TJ isn't the same as in the Barao fights, either. I'm more interested in Aldo vs the top tier, aside from Yan, than watching him vs Merab, O'Malley or another young guy.

Mods need to start handing out double-yellow to users who call Aldo “shot”. Aldo is whooping on top 10 fighters back-to-back. Please kill this narrative that he’s taken a step back in skill or competency.

Aldo is so accurate and slick, you have to be very special to beat him

The difference being that Max actually did beat Aldo, twice, by being the bigger man who wore him down across multiple rounds, meanwhile Conor actually did win in seconds using superior timing and precision.

Muy bien niño

The difference is that Max could repeat his win. If Conor had given Aldo a rematch or fought him now, he wouldn't win a round.

The difference is that Max could repeat his win. If Conor had given Aldo a rematch or fought him now, he wouldn't win a round.

Yeah, and he did it again by wearing Aldo out.

Yet Conor is the one TS said beat Aldo by being a weight cutting bully.

Yeah, and he did it again by wearing Aldo out.

Yet Conor is the one TS said beat Aldo by being a weight cutting bully.

Both are weight-cutting bullies relative to Aldo.

Connor doenst one shot KOs guys his own size "by timing an precision" as he used to do at FW.
How is that?

Because there is a reason why fighters do tough weightcuts to avoid fighting in 10+lbs dissadvantage. Because your "timing and precision" is not so effective when dealing with guys your own size.

Ok calm down.

Thinly veiled Conor nuthuggers thread. He did, afterall, ko aldo in 13 seconds

Conor would be a big favourite in a rematch over Aldo. In case he was still able to compete at 145 which I doubt it.

There is a reason why they are currently competing 20-35lbs apart.

His boxing has gotten better but that's the only improvement and doesn't make up for everything else he's lost imo. His gas tank used to be a bit better, used to be much faster, used to have an iron chin, impossible to takedown. The leg kicks as you mentioned, defensively he's always been really good

Eh, I'm not sure you can claim Aldo used to have better cardio when he just broke his own record for strike volume vs Munhoz, in just 3 rounds. Aldo used to exhaust himself throwing 100 strikes over 5 rounds.

Likewise, his chin seems to be the same. Outside of Conor's perfectly placed counter right on the chin that would've KO'ed anyone at FW, Aldo's only been rocked after absorbing an insane amount of strikes by strikers with volume stats that significantly outpace any fighter he faced before 2016 (Max, Yan).

Aldo's now fighting in a faster division than FW and, overall, hasn't suffered a speed disadvantage except against Font (one of the fastest BWs in the roster who embarrassed Garbrandt).

Using less leg kicks is a stylistic choice he made after breaking his foot during the Korean Zombie fight, which could've cost him his belt. Spamming leg kicks is a choice about risk vs reward that Aldo has made, not a sign of whether or not he's in his prime.

Back