It Pains Me To Say It About MMA Fans But...

No question, on a daily basis we see evidence of this

Says MMA fans arent knowledgeable about the sport, starts talking about football.

Are you saying wrestlers are D- athletes? Take a look at the best wrestlers in the world currently and in the past. Wrestling is an international sport with a talent pool that is deeper than the NBA and NFL. The amount of money they are payed is irrelevant to their level of athleticism when compared to people in the NFL and NBA.

lol @ this post

Agree with the premise but it goes deeper than just strategy, your average MMA fan has no idea of almost anything that goes on in their sport.

Like clockwork, every televised or PPV event you can find a collection of idiots saying things like
"Unanimous decision? But [fighter a] definitely won round 2? OMG JUDGES DUMB FIRE THEM F U DANA"
"This fight didn't go the way I expected, therefore it's fixed, F U DANA"
"We should never believe one business that might shade the truth for public consumption but I believe 100% of what this other business says that has the same incentives. Oh yeah, F U DANA"

I barely read this forum anymore but I honestly wonder why some of you even watch the sport anymore.

Athleticism is a useful asset in fighting, but it's far from being all the necessary components. The fact that this isn't obvious to you shows a clear lack of appreciation for the sport, and for martial arts in general.

Lebern would be champ with 3 months prep, no doubt about it.

I don't know what you're trying to accomplish but that was an amazing highlight that made me appreciate the SPORT of mma even more.

LOL

Oh god, how I fucking hate that song.. like the worst example of.. I don't even know what to call that.. Shit-metal? Dude-bro-Rock?

Agree, that song is the worst. Not surprised to see it being defended in here by the sherbros.

Lol i just read the first half of the thread before I had to tap out. We had one idiot claiming other sports are easy, and another idiot (Skydome you, you're the idiot) that thinks Basketball is the pinnacle of human achievement.

67033-Michael-Jordan-reaction-gif-HuRI.gif

Lebern would be champ with 3 months prep, no doubt about it.

LOL

Agree, that song is the worst. Not surprised to see it being defended in here by the sherbros.

67033-Michael-Jordan-reaction-gif-HuRI.gif

Say what you will, but there's no getting around the fact that the second MJ traded in his basketball jersey for his baseball cap he became a D-Level athlete.

(I'm still a fan, though. Always hopeful the fight with chickenshit pans out someday and you kick his ass.)

Skydome is a troll ladies and gentlemen. Stop feeding him unless you're a glutton for empty "LOL" responses.

lol, it pains you to say it, TS? What forum have you been posting on for the last six years? Fuck, look at this thread, you have all manner of dipshits and NBA fans claiming some guy would be champ with three months training. That's because if you're some moron basketball guy that somehow got wind of MMA (faustian, Skydome) you have no idea how little three months or even two years will get you in terms of pro level MMA.

In my mission to spread the MMA gospel to every man, woman and child on this earth I have to repeatedly tell people that I fully despise most other MMA fans and it's 100% true. The slack jawed gym bros that populate this forum are the exact reason why I have to convince people to look past all the Ed Hardy shirts for the skill, conditioning and heart the fighters exhibit. Half the battle is either getting people over or getting them to ignore the douchebro culture this forum shows off so well. It's an uphill battle but it's worth it to me to at least try to represent the sport beyond a bunch of chodes that have never rolled a day in their lives and think they can beat people up just from watching.

Idk why this has escaped you but at least most NFL/NBA/whatever the soccer one is/ types at least *played* the sport in school, in the street, maybe on the high school team. There's a hell of lot higher percentage of people that have never armbarred someone or did five minutes on a heavy bag keeping their chin tucked watching MMA than people that have thrown a ball around.

Say what you will, but there's no getting around the fact that the second MJ traded in his basketball jersey for his baseball cap he became a D-Level athlete.
Okay, I'm going to pull rank as the acting baseball expert in these parts.

Athleticism is honestly a small component of baseball success. This has been obvious for over a hundred years. There are thousands upon thousands of superb athletes that have tried their hand at baseball and have failed. Some quite spectacularly. The skills required to succeed at baseball are very broad. Baseball players aren't athletes and athletes aren't baseball players. Having any sort of expectation that even a world class athlete like Michael Jordan can be successful in baseball at the professional level despite having no professional experience all the way into his 30s...c'mon man, there isn't any professional scout, front office executive, or even sane sportswriter that thought he was going anywhere with it. It was Jordan's "make-a-wish."

Look, man, baseball is hard even for guys that have been playing it professionally for 20 years. Being athletic might get you an NRI for a season or two, but you're going to have to convert that athleticism into baseball skills. Just to make the case more plain, Bo Jackson, Deion Sanders, and Brian Jordan were all better at football than baseball. By a lot.

lol, it pains you to say it, TS? What forum have you been posting on for the last six years? Fuck, look at this thread, you have all manner of dipshits and NBA fans claiming some guy would be champ with three months training. That's because if you're some moron basketball guy that somehow got wind of MMA (faustian, Skydome) you have no idea how little three months or even two years will get you in terms of pro level MMA.

In my mission to spread the MMA gospel to every man, woman and child on this earth I have to repeatedly tell people that I fully despise most other MMA fans and it's 100% true. The slack jawed gym bros that populate this forum are the exact reason why I have to convince people to look past all the Ed Hardy shirts for the skill, conditioning and heart the fighters exhibit. Half the battle is either getting people over or getting them to ignore the douchebro culture this forum shows off so well. It's an uphill battle but it's worth it to me to at least try to represent the sport beyond a bunch of chodes that have never rolled a day in their lives and think they can beat people up just from watching.

Idk why this has escaped you but at least most NFL/NBA/whatever the soccer one is/ types at least *played* the sport in school, in the street, maybe on the high school team. There's a hell of lot higher percentage of people that have never armbarred someone or did five minutes on a heavy bag keeping their chin tucked watching MMA than people that have thrown a ball around.

I think this dovetails nicely with my post on baseball.

Quarterbacks are more skilled than mma fighters.

oh this guy says 'hey jon'
07.jpg

Quarterbacks are not more skilled than MMA fighters. In order to truly believe they are, you have to also believe that being a quarterback takes more skill than learning and becoming proficient in boxing, kickboxing -- all styles of striking individually broken down, and all styles of grappling individually broken down. Mixed Martial Arts. If you have holes in your skills in MMA, they will eventually be exploited. For this comparison to be fair, the quarterback would also have to be at least serviceable in every other position in football, and all (Edit: I should say many/most, MMA fighters don't know ALL martial arts disciplines) other sports that involve the use of a ball.

you do know MJ tried to play baseball right?

and he sucked.

just because you're good at one sport and athletic in that one sport does not mean you can just go play any other sport professionally.

Yep. Joe Rogan or someone said something along the lines of, "Punching someone in the face will always mean something. Putting a ball in a goal only has the meaning that we assign to it."

These people saying so-and-so would have made a great fighter aren't thinking. We've seen time and time again in MMA people who have exceptional skills and/or athleticism but lack the mental aspect. They don't last long (that's not to say people from other sports couldn't be great at MMA, I'm just saying not as many as is purported 'round these parts).

Lol no. Not even a bit. 100% wrong

One single aspect of MMA is hard to get good at. BJJ? Judo? Boxing? These are complex and hard to get good at on their own, and they are individual sports that are singular aspects of MMA.

This thread cracks me up. Where's all the people who talk shit about MMA fighter's boxing skills? Boxing is known as the 'sweet science', is a highly successful sport on its own, people constantly talk about it, and yet it's one branch on the MMA tree.

I'm not saying other sports are easy, they are not particularly if you want to be high level at them, but as far as being more complex than MMA? Nope.

Last edited:
One thing that would be tough about MMA compared to other sports, is putting all your 6 months of training into one 15 minute fight. Plus there's no one else to rely on. It's all on you, and if you lose it could be another half year before you get another chance.

lbj2.jpg

595d3a8440f7ec846646083f3d53fe24.jpg

kyle_lowry.jpg

Give them 3 months prep time, Jon Jones skills are dimished.

That also doesn't take away the fact that Jones is a C- level athlete in a field full of D- athletes.

It's MUCH, MUCH, harder to become elite at say baseball or basketball than it is MMA.

No. Just no.

Give them a year and Jon still makes them cry.

Being a great athlete doesn't mean you're going to make a great fighter. There are fighters who beat much better, MUCH better athletic opponents EASILY all the time and they have been training for YEARS.

Get the fuck out of here with this garbage. This whole 'A-level athlete thing' is fucking hilarious.

Back