It Pains Me To Say It About MMA Fans But...

LMAO!!!!!!!!!!

Diego-Sanchez-vs-Gilbert-Melendez.gif

They have good chins and the basic technique on how to throw some wild hooks, i'll give them that.

Sanchez also appears to be in a battle with air.

That was really nice by Giblert, actually. He connected with every shot while not getting hit once himself.

Lol i just read the first half of the thread before I had to tap out. We had one idiot claiming other sports are easy, and another idiot (Skydome you, you're the idiot) that thinks Basketball is the pinnacle of human achievement.

You know compared to other sports, the percentage of athletes in mma that start at a very young age training is very low, right?

There are plenty of fighters that do something completely different untill they are 15,16,17, 35(cm punk) and still make it to the big leagues(ufc) it happens alot.

No one, and i mean NOONE is picking up a basketball for the first time at 18... Or 35 😂 and even sniffing the NBA.

A wrestler going to the ball court and getting dominated by a scrawny 12 year old with handles isnt any less embarrassing.

not true Eaton was 20 when he started, Gortat was 18, The Dream was 15, and so on. Love the nba and just about all sports,and i do agree with you on most of what was said, but mma is still really new

I think the difference is that football is expected to be boring generally. They play in 7 second bursts and stand around for 2 minutes talking. The difference between a dull game and a great game is marginal. I can sleep through an NFL game of the century.

Conversely Diaz vs Condit was marketed as a "war" both fighters were talking about how they were going to have this exciting fight. Everyone coming out of it said that Condit's strategy was smart. I don't think anyone down played the fact that his strategy paid off. They just complained that it was dull... and it was. That was one of the worst title fights ever.

Actually it was a war. War is all about tactics - hit and run, giving ground to retreat to a more advantageous position, avoiding the opponent's strength and hitting their flank - its been centuries since armies just collided toe to toe to fight it out. In fact thousands of years. And in war the only goal is to win; no general cares about entertainment value.

I think what many people wanted is not a war, but a show - tactics be damned, stand toe to toe and punch it out.

LMAO!!!!!!!!!!

Diego-Sanchez-vs-Gilbert-Melendez.gif

They have good chins and the basic technique on how to throw some wild hooks, i'll give them that.

Sanchez also appears to be in a battle with air.

You're killing me man :D

MMA is leaps and bounds above any other sport in terms of skill and what not. Much easier to understand football or soccer than MMA. Plus this isn't even a team sport so it shouldn't even be related to football.

Just stop

In the real world. Jones skills trumps these guys because he could kill him with his skills. one oblique kick and JJ will be crying. One snapping front kick to lebrons sternum and his hairline goes back another 2 inches.

Lebron was tapped to make millions in basketball by 16. Jones is the whipping boy brother of 2 nfl athletes. If Lebron abandoned nba at say 19 you think he' be ripping it up.

I feel MMA as a sport has a scary high percentage of fans (compared to other sports) that really lack common sense on how the sport works.

I think there are many examples of this, but the one freshest to my mind at the moment is Carlos Condit vs Nick Diaz.

Compare Diaz/Condit as a fight to how an NFL football game would go between the Indianapolis Colts vs the Green Bay Packers.

Here me out here:

Green Bay has one of the greatest passing attacks in NFL history, featuring an MVP/hall of fame QB & 2 pro bowl WRs. But the Colts are pretty good defending the pass. Where they struggle is stopping the run.

So let's say GB meets the Colts & game plans to run the ball 40 times. They gash Indianapolis & win the game.

Now do you say, "we wanted to see GB airing it out"? Or do you say, "wow great strategizing"?

This is what bugs me the most about typical MMA fans. Embrace the strategic part of this sport, or go watch ****-fighting..

Depends on the sport.

For instance, hockey fans constantly complain about styles of gamplay/game planning by certain teams... to the point that the NHL is constantly changing the rules sets to discourage teams from gaming the system and locking the games down into competitions that aren't viewer friendly.

lbj2.jpg

595d3a8440f7ec846646083f3d53fe24.jpg

kyle_lowry.jpg

Give them 3 months prep time, Jon Jones skills are dimished.

That also doesn't take away the fact that Jones is a C- level athlete in a field full of D- athletes.

It's MUCH, MUCH, harder to become elite at say baseball or basketball than it is MMA.

Three months of training and Lebron mauls Jon Jones... I can't sugar coat this: you are fucking stupid.

He was a monster for sure, although a few of his hits on Lindros would have been 20 game suspensions in today's NHL. Him and Wendell Clark were the two nastiest hitters I have ever seen.

Yeah quite a few of Scott Stevens hits were dirty as hell. Crazy seeing a massive guy like Big Eric go down like a sack of potatoes

I feel MMA as a sport has a scary high percentage of fans (compared to other sports) that really lack common sense on how the sport works.

You are talking completely out of your ass. Between 146,000 (Mighty Mouse) and 1 million (Connor/Rousey) watch a UFC PPV. I bet you the % of those people that have a decent 'common sense' understanding of the sport is just as high or higher than the % of the 60 million that watch your average NFL playoff game.

People's expectations when watching fights, in general, are prioritized differently than when they watch Football or Basketball, etc. Sure they might have a favorite that they would prefer to win, but mainly they want to see an exciting fight. If one or both of the fighters use tactics that makes the fight dull, regardless if their guy wins, people are more likely to be disgruntled than they would be if their football team won with a '3 yards in a cloud of dust' strategy.

I love Condit. I think he won the Diaz fight. I also thought it was a boring fight and I was expecting better from both of them. But hey, win some, lose some.

Now, some might get on here and derp excessively how the 'more astute, educated' fan would appreciate Condits movement, footwork, or strategy in the fight as artful and should interpret that as quality or excitement. And while that is certainly a fair point of view to have, and one I often share, the % of MMA fans who see it that way is no higher than the % of NFL fans walking around discussing how artfully Logan Mankins pulls to take out a DE.

Most MMA fans are uneducated morons, who would doubt it?

Most casual sports fans don't have a deep understanding of what they're watching. The thing with MMA fans is that even some of the most hardcore of fans (like sherdoggers) don't have a technical understanding of the sport.

Like if you went to an NBA forum, a lot of the posters would actually be able to tell you about the formations and schemes their fav team uses. Most people here can only talk about the super obvious things a fighter does.

[YT]3eUpf4f8LEU[/YT]

and people wonder why the fanbase is a bunch of meatheads

I take it some opera or a classical piano piece would have better fit a video compilation of people fighting? What an off-base criticism.

TS is correct though, I imagine more are more ignorant fans than knowledgeable ones.

It's the same with any sport. Fans are educated, but that doesn't mean the majority of fans have to like the strategic aspect of the sport, more than the immediately gratifying entertaining aspect of it.

Most baseball fans would rather see a game that finished 15-13 with eight home runs in the game, than a pitchers duel that ends with a score of 1-0.

Hockey fans like fast paced, high scoring games. So much so, that a team like the New Jersy Devils who once mastered the strategy of the game were labeled "boring" and the NHL changed the rules to eliminate their style of play.

Boxing fans like knock outs. Nascar fans like car crashes.

All I'm saying is that if you're expecting the fanbase of MMA to slowly come around and appreciate the fundamentals more than the entertaining aspects of the fight, like bloody slugfests, good luck. It's never going to happen. That doesn't mean the fans aren't educated. It just means they want to be entertained.

The mental game of MMA, and a fight in general, is far beyond that of a pro basketball or football game.. 15-25 minutes of unarmed combat with very little breaks in between.

Sounds like youre describing the physical aspect here. Also appears you never played basketballor football competively. I'll put my money on Lebron and Kobe being more mentally tough than Jon Jones and Cain Velasquez.

not true Eaton was 20 when he started, Gortat was 18, The Dream was 15, and so on. Love the nba and just about all sports,and i do agree with you on most of what was said, but mma is still really new

Actually you are corrrect, bro.
Sorry for getting ahead of myself.

In the case of the NBA and examples like Eaton and Gortat. They obviously are prototype Nba bodys being 7' tall. Its so rare for a human to reach that height. Taking nothing away from their skills because they still had to beat other 7 footers to get that spot on the team. They are the rare 1 out of thousands type cases though. Id say 95%+ of NBA Players have been playing ball competetively since atleast highschool. And thats a generous percentage i could go higher.

Sigh, before you start throwing insults, you realize that in your example you didn't state that the wrestler was 17, right? And more generally, young man, being patronizing isn't a persuasive argument technique, and it makes you seem insecure.

All those commas and you didnt answer my question.

he's basically saying that fighting is the most alpha sport. Which is pretty much true.

in your scenario the wrestler is the alpha. he is physically dominant over the kid with "handles".

Everyone will forget about The Professors handles when Aldo lays him out with a high kick.

What does being the Alpha male have to do with skill Level?

I dont get the correlation.

Last edited:
It depends on how much self esteem someone has invested in his being good at basketball identity. Trash talking is limited if the guys trash talking are scared of hard fouls and a fight breaking out. If a guy is better than you, can trash talk you, and can kick your ass, then yeah, that experience could be devastating for a teenager.

Most gyms i;ve been too are pretty cool. even if you get your ass kicked you aren't going to constantly hear shit about it. basketball courts are different.

Back