It Pains Me To Say It About MMA Fans But...

*they're

Look, I think the stakes are much higher for the MMA fighter though.

c4f9c1ff6255482f0a52184cc6df98ba.jpg

How do you figure most nfl/nba players lack self discipline? I'm not quite following that one....

Ah, I didn't say they lack self discipline, just that they lack the self discipline to be great mixed martial artists. What I said is that it is a different type of discipline, particularly early on when you are getting your ass kicked and things are not coming easily because of your athleticism. You see it when great football, basketball, and baseball players come out to wrestling practice for the first time. Most of them don't come back. Then you add getting punched in the face, which another segment of people can't cope with.

NFL/NBA players have 10x the self disicpline that MMA fighters do, they train just as hard, plus once they reach even college their under 100x the microscope that MMA fighters could even dream of..so every move has to more calculated.

Try playing 40 minutes against the best basketball players in the world in the NBA finals. Leberns body was drained from playing 90+ games regular season+ PO, remembering playbooks, physically demolished, but yet he battled, like a fighter.

10x, 100x: Why don't you try using hyperbole to try to make your writing more colorful.:icon_chee

Ah, I didn't say they lack self discipline. What I said is that it is a different type of discipline, particularly early on when you are getting your ass kicked and things are not coming easily because of your athleticism. You see it when great football, basketball, and baseball players come out to wrestling practice for the first time. Most of them don't come back. Then you add getting punched in the face, which another segment of people can't cope with.

Well you have a good point, a lot of guys don't have the heart to get over the initial ass kicking phase you'll get no matter how strong/athletic you are, but I'm sure there's plenty of guys in the NBA/NFL, etc that would be able to do it if they were getting paid millions of dollars like they already are.

The reason the A- athletes don't come back for a second wrestling practice is probably because they do it for a quick workout in the summer, why risk injury when you have a bunch of D- athlete wrestlers trying to prove a point and jeporadize injury and your 50 million dollar contract?

doesn't make sense

You lost me at football.

I wonder how Michael Jordan or Kobe Bryant would have done in MMA, just due to the fact that they are known to have crazy work ethic and so-called killer instinct. J

But with all the NBA player mentions, there's this one player that fans of the NBA tend to mention when it comes to fighting, but there's no footage. Legit or what?

I wonder how Michael Jordan or Kobe Bryant would have done in MMA, just due to the fact that they are known to have crazy work ethic and so-called killer instinct. J

But with all the NBA player mentions, there's this one player that fans of the NBA tend to mention when it comes to fighting, but there's no footage. Legit or what?

6'9" James Johnson
James-Johnson-Raptors.jpg

They would fight at HW and who knows if they could take a punch or not.

6'9" James Johnson
James-Johnson-Raptors.jpg

Most likely legit but I would love to see Johnson take a few fights and crush a few cans after his NBA career is over.

Problem is he makes like 2.5 million a year to be a role player in the NBA. Depsite his freak athleticism and somewhat solid skillset, he still is mostly a shit tier NBA player but still makin the bank, no reason to change to MMA.

Well you have a good point, a lot of guys don't have the heart to get over the initial ass kicking phase you'll get no matter how strong/athletic you are

It's also strong motivation for some. It's not the sport, it's the person.

I would argue getting punched in the face is more motivation to continue and improve than be hopeless on the ice with sore ankles because you can't keep up and you skate like shit.

Ah, I didn't say they lack self discipline, just that they lack the self discipline to be great mixed martial artists. What I said is that it is a different type of discipline, particularly early on when you are getting your ass kicked and things are not coming easily because of your athleticism. You see it when great football, basketball, and baseball players come out to wrestling practice for the first time. Most of them don't come back. Then you add getting punched in the face, which another segment of people can't cope with.

Most of them comes just to get in shape or try a different type of training. Why don't mma fighters or wrestlers go into basketball/baseball/football?

Its a different sport.

I think the difference is that football is expected to be boring generally. They play in 7 second bursts and stand around for 2 minutes talking. The difference between a dull game and a great game is marginal. I can sleep through an NFL game of the century.

Conversely Diaz vs Condit was marketed as a "war" both fighters were talking about how they were going to have this exciting fight. Everyone coming out of it said that Condit's strategy was smart. I don't think anyone down played the fact that his strategy paid off. They just complained that it was dull... and it was. That was one of the worst title fights ever.

MMA is leaps and bounds above any other sport in terms of skill and what not. Much easier to understand football or soccer than MMA. Plus this isn't even a team sport so it shouldn't even be related to football.

Much easier to understand MMA than football

I think you're confusing skill with athleticism and explosiveness. NBA is the most explosive sports league in the world. The Spurs are the least explosive though.

That would be the NFL. How is the basketball more "explosive" than american football?

Basketball is more skill + explosiveness,. Tim Duncan, Hakeem, Walt Frazier, Paul Pierce, Dirk Nowitzki and plenty others are a testament to not needing plenty athleticism to be great at the sport.

Only someone who follows Basketball can appreciate the skill and precision involved.

MMA isn't comparable to other sports in the way the TS is describing.

There's also such a thing as a fun game of football and a boring game of football. People appreciate big stupid hits in Football and long bomb passing and all sorts of other nonsense like cheerleading squads and fireworks etc.

Fans of MMA and fans of the NFL aren't that different, really, there are dumb fans and brighter fans.

This is a phenomena within every sport. Plenty of real boxing fans hated May/Pac. It just happens.

Well you have a good point, a lot of guys don't have the heart to get over the initial ass kicking phase you'll get no matter how strong/athletic you are, but I'm sure there's plenty of guys in the NBA/NFL, etc that would be able to do it if they were getting paid millions of dollars like they already are.

The reason the A- athletes don't come back for a second wrestling practice is probably because they do it for a quick workout in the summer, why risk injury when you have a bunch of D- athlete wrestlers trying to prove a point and jeporadize injury and your 50 million dollar contract?

doesn't make sense

I am talking about at a young age, when it is just about pride and identity, when you are the shit at one, or many sports, and then you get your ass kicked on the wrestling mat, or somebody busts you up at the gym, and you have to deal with that blow to your ego, you thought you were the shit and somebody dominated you physically. Some people just don't go back, and some people keep coming back until they are the top dog. Our course there are guys in the NFL and NBA that have that in them, but most people don't.

I am talking about at a young age, when it is just about pride and identity, when you are the shit at one, or many sports, and then you get your ass kicked on the wrestling mat, or somebody busts you up at the gym, and you have to deal with that blow to your ego, you thought you were the shit and somebody dominated you physically. Some people just don't go back, and some people keep coming back until they are the top dog. Our course there are guys in the NFL and NBA that have that in them, but most people don't.

I think there is way more trash on the playground than in the gym.

I'm sure if you took an average joe mma guy and let him play basketball with his siblings and then took him to rucker park. he would not only get humiliated, he would get trash talked pretty hard.

I'd expect a larger blow to your ego than that of getting your butt whooped in the gym.

LMAO!!!!!!!!!!

Diego-Sanchez-vs-Gilbert-Melendez.gif

They have good chins and the basic technique on how to throw some wild hooks, i'll give them that.

Sanchez also appears to be in a battle with air.

I wonder how that basketball (or whatever silly sport is he from) player would perform, after being punched in the face..

Back