It Pains Me To Say It About MMA Fans But...

While your point does have some validity TS, what you neglect to mention is the fact that as a mainstream attraction, mma is still in its infancy. In addition to that, there are casual fans of just about any sport. For example: I have lived in several different cities around the US in the past 15 years. Speaking specifically to pro football, I have been to Giant, Eagle, Charger, Raider, 49er, and Cowboy games at home stadiums to name a few. At each and every pro football game you go to, there are probably just as many people filling the seats that couldn't tell you the difference between a safety and a wide receiver, as there are people that can.

The mental game of MMA, and a fight in general, is far beyond that of a pro basketball or football game.. 15-25 minutes of unarmed combat with very little breaks in between.

THIS is unarmed combat
jj-hickson.gif

This is skill,
norris1.gif

and that's the beautiful game

MMA feeds all sorts of fans. Analytical, drama, fan bois, hype and macho men.

And they all think MMA has a different purpose and think it's popular for different reasons.

It's part of it's charm.

MMA is leaps and bounds above any other sport in terms of skill and what not.

I'm sure this is impossible to measure and to compare but I'm confident you're wrong.

lbj2.jpg

595d3a8440f7ec846646083f3d53fe24.jpg

kyle_lowry.jpg

Give them 3 months prep time, Jon Jones skills are dimished.

That also doesn't take away the fact that Jones is a C- level athlete in a field full of D- athletes.

It's MUCH, MUCH, harder to become elite at say baseball or basketball than it is MMA.

you are probably just trolling, but you do realize that MMA isn't just about plugging an athletic person in and seeing him do well. The mental aspect of MMA is just different than other sports, in terms of discipline, patience (to get better including being able to get your ass kicked early on and not quit), aggression, and cunning. Not to mention most great MMA fighters are a little, to a lot, odd. There are certainly players in the NBA and NFL who could have been great fighters (Robert Quinn could have been a HW champion, and probably one of the greatest mixed martial artists of all time), but they are the exceptions.

Name me some athlets that are more skilled than Jon Jones. Jon could annhilate just about any human on the face of the earth with his skills.

Thats because his skill is fighting, not throwing a ball in a hoop.

That doesnt make pro fighting more difficult than pro basketball. Nor does it take more skill .

THIS is unarmed combat
jj-hickson.gif

This is skill,
norris1.gif

and that's the beautiful game

I think you're confusing skill with athleticism and explosiveness. NBA is the most explosive sports league in the world. The Spurs are the least explosive though.

you are probably just trolling, but you do realize that MMA isn't just about plugging an athletic person in and seeing him do well. The mental aspect of MMA is just different than other sports, in terms of discipline, patience (to get better including being able to get your ass kicked early on and not quit), aggression, and cunning. Not to mention most great MMA fighters are a little, to a lot, odd. There are certainly players in the NBA and NFL who could have been great fighters (Robert Quinn could have been a HW champion), but they are the exceptions. Many, if not most, NFL and NBA players lack the self discipline to be great mixed martial artists.

How do you figure most nfl/nba players lack self discipline? I'm not quite following that one....

I feel MMA as a sport has a scary high percentage of fans (compared to other sports) that really lack common sense on how the sport works.

I think there are many examples of this, but the one freshest to my mind at the moment is Carlos Condit vs Nick Diaz.

Compare Diaz/Condit as a fight to how an NFL football game would go between the Indianapolis Colts vs the Green Bay Packers.

Here me out here:

Green Bay has one of the greatest passing attacks in NFL history, featuring an MVP/hall of fame QB & 2 pro bowl WRs. But the Colts are pretty good defending the pass. Where they struggle is stopping the run.

So let's say GB meets the Colts & game plans to run the ball 40 times. They gash Indianapolis & win the game.

Now do you say, "we wanted to see GB airing it out"? Or do you say, "wow great strategizing"?

This is what bugs me the most about typical MMA fans. Embrace the strategic part of this sport, or go watch ****-fighting..
:eek:

I know nothing about football, but if some guys started just running around, and not trying to win, you would get upset.

[YT]3eUpf4f8LEU[/YT]
and people wonder why the fanbase is a bunch of meatheads

Dana saying they want to clean up the sport, the Reebok uniforms are to make it look more clean and professional.

And then instead of getting rid of the intro which screams douchebagbromeatheadroidbeer he ups it and makes a techno version out of it.

I think you're confusing skill with athleticism and explosiveness. NBA is the most explosive sports league in the world. The Spurs are the least explosive though.

There are plenty of guys in pro basketball that never sniff the NBA with just athleticism. They can jump through the ceiling but lack solid fundementals.

They can't make it to the NBA despite their A- athleticism, well, because the talent pool is much deeper for basketball than it is for MMA.

There are plenty of guys in the UFC who have had long, succesful careers just on the basis of being tough, somewhat athletic meanwhile lacking the technique.

The few fighters that combine athleticism and technique, like Jon Jones, really shine, the rest are just a pile of fish in a vast ocean. Lacking one major componet or the either.

How do you figure most nfl/nba players lack self discipline? I'm not quite following that one....

It's pure nonsense.

Those attributes he listed are needed to be good at anything.

Signing up for a MMA fight doesn't make you strong willed with deeper focus than everybody else. There are guys with dedication, application and a spirit that cannot be compared to in almost any field of work.

[YT]3eUpf4f8LEU[/YT]

and people wonder why the fanbase is a bunch of meatheads

we have dana white, openly "bragging" about how Rory Mcdonald can't even remember what year it is, why even bring that shit up? It doesn't make the sport look good, everyone already knows the dangers. But for a guy like Dana to say that at a press conference, no wonder the UFC fan base are a bunch of idiots and far below basketball, baseball, shit, even crickett.

Thanks for posting bro, Face the pain is awesome!

The mental game of MMA, and a fight in general, is far beyond that of a pro basketball or football game.. 15-25 minutes of unarmed combat with very little breaks in between.

You sound naive about basketball and football. Because anyone who understands those sports knows they are just as mental as physical.

Set plays need to be run. Offensive and defensive scemes need to be scoped out and figure out on the fly every few seconds.

These are team sports and a whole different beast of mindgames and skills altogether.

NFL/NBA players have 10x the self disicpline that MMA fighters do, they train just as hard, plus once they reach even college their under 100x the microscope that MMA fighters could even dream of..so every move has to more calculated.

Try playing 40 minutes against the best basketball players in the world in the NBA finals. Leberns body was drained from playing 90+ games regular season+ PO, remembering playbooks, physically demolished, but yet he battled, like a fighter.

NFL/NBA players have 10x the self disicpline that MMA fighters do, they train just as hard, plus once they reach even college their under 100x the microscope that MMA fighters could even dream of..so every move has to more calculated.

Try playing 40 minutes against the best basketball players in the world in the NBA finals. Leberns body was drained from playing 90+ games regular season+ PO, remembering playbooks, physically demolished, but yet he battled, like a fighter.

Yeah no idea where he pulled that shit from.

*they're

Look, I think the stakes are much higher for the MMA fighter though.

we have dana white, openly "bragging" about how Rory Mcdonald can't even remember what year it is, why even bring that shit up? It doesn't make the sport look good, everyone already knows the dangers. But for a guy like Dana to say that at a press conference, no wonder the UFC fan base are a bunch of idiots and far below basketball, baseball, shit, even crickett.

Don't forget that UFC Mexico City broke the record for most people puking, 6 people puking, that's a UFC record, that's never been done before!

In a sense, you're not wrong.

The reality is, most sports fans don't know how their respective sports work. Few take the time to get to know the game.

Back