Issues

Drop all that shit and figure out a way to put yourself in a situation where you are not SETTLING.

Bro you live ONCE.

Do it right.

Find a chick you are out of your fucking mind in love with or don't bother and keep looking.

Live in a place that makes you happy.

If you can't afford a place you like, WAIT.

So, my partner and I have been searching to buy my first property since March. I accepted on an offer of £200,000 for a one bedroom, leasehold flat and I'm at the point where I've had the mortgage deed and the contract sent to me by post.

I've been torn on the property itself, as it seems like it's quiet, with plenty of parking, and my partner liked it initially. It's small however, so small that I won't really be able to do much with it. I'll be forced to use the traditional dial on the wall whilst sitting in the bath shower, instead of tearing the bathtub out and putting a walk-in shower instead, for example. I also don't have allocated parking that belongs to me, though there are bays dedicated to my block by the landlord and plenty of visitor bays. I also wanted a garage so that I could store a motorcycle, which this property doesn't have. Another issue is that both the main room and the bedroom face south and more importantly, face the communal garden. I don't know how busy that garden will be. The flat is in Sunbury, a mile away from Tescos, an M&S, a gym and a couple of other small things, but the area itself is unremarkable.

My partner, at this stage in the game, told me that I should pull out and find something else next year. The ground rent is included in the maintenance fees, but the maintenance fees are around £2370 a year. She also thinks that I can do better. This has frustrated the hell out of me, as a big reason for my initial push for the property was the fact that she really liked it and was supportive of me buying it. I needed that push. The mortgage? Around £950pcm for five years fixed, then it jumps to around £1200. I intended to rent the place out after five years and buy a new, nicer property, or sell it.

I have to be honest with my situation though. My partner is older than me by more than a few years, she's unable to have children and though we have been together for ten years, we've been complaining for most of them. The last few years in particular has seen the spark completely die out, and we've been living more as friends who nip at each other whilst sleeping in the same bed and living on top of each other, instead of living a passionate, adventurous life. I have become fat, yes, I have aged, yes. She has really suffered during her time with me though, aged physically and her teeth took a big hit a few years ago, when a passenger had swung a briefcase into her face at airport security. She had to get several teeth removed and replaced by these dentures that cause her problems as although they look fine, they're an imperfect fit. I know that it bothers her a lot. Her job is low paying and full of conflict between herself, her managers and her colleagues, but because of her age, she feels like she cannot find another job. She's stressed, she's miserable, she has a good heart but she's stopped being intimate, and I'm sick of being humiliated by being shut down over and over, and she doesn't want to do anything outside of work.

Over the last year or so, she's told me that she's going to quit her job, leave the country and return to her home country to live. She hates the UK, says that it's degraded and cruel, and misses where she spent the first half of her life. I can't say that I really like living here either, though I'm an HGV Driver and I highly doubt that there is work for me over there, and frankly, a big part of me wants to move on from this relationship anyway. She says that she loves me, I love her too, but it's clear that we should have moved on from each other, as we don't make each other happy anymore.

It's causing problems with the purchase as well, as she doesn't like us to be seen in public together. As an adult who could be living with me in this flat that I'm trying to buy, the mortgage lender wants her to sign a Lenders Occupiers Consent Form, which she has signed, but she won't find a witness to countersign it, so the process of buying this property has stalled. Finding a witness is hard enough for me, as I don't have friends outside of work and we don't have any mutual friends between us. She doesn't want to meet my family either. She has stated that she wants nothing to do with my purchase of this flat, that she's going to live with me for a year, then go back home. I'm thinking about pulling out of the sale, giving her some money and sending her on her way. I don't even know if I want her to be with me for another year, though. I'd rather just draw a line and move on. I'd still have to pay solicitors fees though, and I've already paid for searches and ID checks.

My lease on the flat that I'm renting expires in October and I have been asked if I wish to renew a couple of weeks ago. The landlord wants to take £100pcm off the rent, but I don't want to stay here. We've been here seven years, on a rubbish sofa bed, cramped together, with heat that is brutal in the summer and cookers that shut off the electrics after a few minutes. I'll also be paying for damages when I leave, no doubt. I generally care about things, but I've lost my temper once or twice since I've been here.

I am confused as to what to do next, and I don't know how much time I have left to play around with. I was supposed to go to the coast and sign some things today, but I pulled out due to feeling rough, having doubts, but I don't have the next five days because of work and time is already short.

I probably shouldn't have gone for this property in the first place, but here I am. Sucker.

I think you know what to do sir, its just doing it.

Much love sir.

A few others have given good advice, but more importantly it sounds like your intuition (gut instinct) is telling you what to do. Listen to it, particularly with the relationship.

It's difficult to push you in any specific direction with the property. It sounds like there are some issues but I'm assuming this is your first? Your first property doesn't have to be your forever home. Do some research on resellability (if that is even a word) and rentability. It might make a decent first purchase to get your foot in the property ladder door, if you can rent it but if not you will be able sell it easily after building some equity. Do your research. Good luck.

I will never understand why people choose to make relationships complicated..

Advice:

It should be

A) Absolutely a million percent FUCK YES
or
B) No thank you.

Thank you for the replies. Even if it's not what I want to read, it's still important.

About the property? I'm swaying towards bailing on it. It's a nice little property, but I can do very little with it due to it's size, and having a parking space allocated to me by the ground landlord instead of actually owning it is bothersome. I'm also thinking five years down the line, when I may decide to sell the property, or better yet, rent it. If I rent it, I have to smack the maintenance charges on top of the rent, as well as deal with the hike in the mortgage, and who is going to pay so much to rent a small property in a boring commuter town, when there are better looking flats available? With more rooms? Allocated parking spaces? Bigger? It's close to the M3, that's a plus. It also is a short drive to Heathrow, close to Staines, Windsor, Feltham, Shepperton Studios. We can make is cozy, but I don't think that it is enough for me, not for the additional prices, and I see it being a real problem down the line. I think that I may instead cancel the purchase, pay my solicitor, get another six months in the place that I'm renting now and find a new place in the meantime, moving in by 2025...

In terms of my partner? If she wants to leave, I won't stop her. I'll help her. I do not wish to harm or neglect her though. She has been my best friend for over ten years and I do not want her to suffer. I know however, that our relationship is on life support, and neither of us have it within ourselves to save it. We'll devolve into a friendship and we'll drift away from eachother.

I wouldn't mind moving to a coastal town, like Brighton. Only thing is that I have it good with my job here and I don't see myself finding anything better for me financially or in regards to my time...

Thank you for the replies. Even if it's not what I want to read, it's still important.

About the property? I'm swaying towards bailing on it. It's a nice little property, but I can do very little with it due to it's size, and having a parking space allocated to me by the ground landlord instead of actually owning it is bothersome. I'm also thinking five years down the line, when I may decide to sell the property, or better yet, rent it. If I rent it, I have to smack the maintenance charges on top of the rent, as well as deal with the hike in the mortgage, and who is going to pay so much to rent a small property in a boring commuter town, when there are better looking flats available? With more rooms? Allocated parking spaces? Bigger? It's close to the M3, that's a plus. It also is a short drive to Heathrow, close to Staines, Windsor, Feltham, Shepperton Studios. We can make is cozy, but I don't think that it is enough for me, not for the additional prices, and I see it being a real problem down the line. I think that I may instead cancel the purchase, pay my solicitor, get another six months in the place that I'm renting now and find a new place in the meantime, moving in by 2025...

In terms of my partner? If she wants to leave, I won't stop her. I'll help her. I do not wish to harm or neglect her though. She has been my best friend for over ten years and I do not want her to suffer. I know however, that our relationship is on life support, and neither of us have it within ourselves to save it. We'll devolve into a friendship and we'll drift away from eachother.

I wouldn't mind moving to a coastal town, like Brighton. Only thing is that I have it good with my job here and I don't see myself finding anything better for me financially or in regards to my time...
Bro,

We obviously don’t care about your property. Just keep the conversation to your relationship issues…

Maybe it's the contrarian in me, but I think you should stay with the chick that makes you unhappy and buy the place with her so you guys are financially tied together.

Oh and continue to not fuck each other too.

It sounds like you know exactly what you need to do but you're scared to actually pull the trigger. I'm not even going to say it cause you already know so stop being scared and just do what needs to be done. Yes, it will suck and you will feel lonely for a bit but life goes on and yours will to.

An update.

I've pulled out of buying the property today, and I've let the estate agent who runs the flat that I'm currently renting, that I'm going to stay on.

I've explained the reasoning behind it to people far smarter in that field than I, and nobody was able to sway me with an argument as to why I am wrong. As quaint as the little flat is, the management fees being as high as they are is madness, and would have made me anxious, bitter and unsure down the line.

It's going to cost me in solicitor fees, but it's a price to pay for learning.

I'm going to slow down, but I'm not going to give up. I'm going to keep looking but I'm also going to be patient and keep to my red lines. I am also going to see viewings alone and not drag the missus with me to them. I should know enough about things now, to make better decisions than I did in the past.

About the GF? We are getting on. We actually had a good conversation about something in my life for a change, about how that flat was no good for me. I am bitter about the gradual distancing between us over the years, but I am not bitter to her as a person. I love her, always will, even though we will eventually go our own ways. She has plans to go her own way, I will go my own way, I wish her nothing but the best and we should cherish the remaining time that we have together.

My priority now is to make sure that we both get out of this in good positions. I must better myself and my life, and I must make sure that she is doing well after we separate.

An update.

I've pulled out of buying the property today, and I've let the estate agent who runs the flat that I'm currently renting, that I'm going to stay on.

I've explained the reasoning behind it to people far smarter in that field than I, and nobody was able to sway me with an argument as to why I am wrong. As quaint as the little flat is, the management fees being as high as they are is madness, and would have made me anxious, bitter and unsure down the line.

I'm going to slow down, but I'm not going to give up. I'm going to keep looking but I'm also going to be patient and keep to my red lines. I am also going to see viewings alone and not drag the missus with me to them. I should know enough about things now, to make better decisions than I did in the past.

About the GF? We are getting on. We actually had a good conversation about something in my life for a change, about how that flat was no good for me. I am bitter about the gradual distancing between us over the years, but I am not bitter to her as a person. I love her, always will, even though we will eventually go our own ways. She has plans to go her own way, I will go my own way, I wish her nothing but the best and we should cherish the remaining time that we have together.

My priority now is to make sure that we both get out of this in good positions. I must better myself and my life, and I must make sure that she is doing well after we separate.
Good luck man!

An update.

Well I'm hurt that you ignored my advice, but I'm happy that you're happy bro

So, my partner and I have been searching to buy my first property since March. I accepted on an offer of £200,000 for a one bedroom, leasehold flat and I'm at the point where I've had the mortgage deed and the contract sent to me by post.

I've been torn on the property itself, as it seems like it's quiet, with plenty of parking, and my partner liked it initially. It's small however, so small that I won't really be able to do much with it. I'll be forced to use the traditional dial on the wall whilst sitting in the bath shower, instead of tearing the bathtub out and putting a walk-in shower instead, for example. I also don't have allocated parking that belongs to me, though there are bays dedicated to my block by the landlord and plenty of visitor bays. I also wanted a garage so that I could store a motorcycle, which this property doesn't have. Another issue is that both the main room and the bedroom face south and more importantly, face the communal garden. I don't know how busy that garden will be. The flat is in Sunbury, a mile away from Tescos, an M&S, a gym and a couple of other small things, but the area itself is unremarkable.

My partner, at this stage in the game, told me that I should pull out and find something else next year. The ground rent is included in the maintenance fees, but the maintenance fees are around £2370 a year. She also thinks that I can do better. This has frustrated the hell out of me, as a big reason for my initial push for the property was the fact that she really liked it and was supportive of me buying it. I needed that push. The mortgage? Around £950pcm for five years fixed, then it jumps to around £1200. I intended to rent the place out after five years and buy a new, nicer property, or sell it.

I have to be honest with my situation though. My partner is older than me by more than a few years, she's unable to have children and though we have been together for ten years, we've been complaining for most of them. The last few years in particular has seen the spark completely die out, and we've been living more as friends who nip at each other whilst sleeping in the same bed and living on top of each other, instead of living a passionate, adventurous life. I have become fat, yes, I have aged, yes. She has really suffered during her time with me though, aged physically and her teeth took a big hit a few years ago, when a passenger had swung a briefcase into her face at airport security. She had to get several teeth removed and replaced by these dentures that cause her problems as although they look fine, they're an imperfect fit. I know that it bothers her a lot. Her job is low paying and full of conflict between herself, her managers and her colleagues, but because of her age, she feels like she cannot find another job. She's stressed, she's miserable, she has a good heart but she's stopped being intimate, and I'm sick of being humiliated by being shut down over and over, and she doesn't want to do anything outside of work.

Over the last year or so, she's told me that she's going to quit her job, leave the country and return to her home country to live. She hates the UK, says that it's degraded and cruel, and misses where she spent the first half of her life. I can't say that I really like living here either, though I'm an HGV Driver and I highly doubt that there is work for me over there, and frankly, a big part of me wants to move on from this relationship anyway. She says that she loves me, I love her too, but it's clear that we should have moved on from each other, as we don't make each other happy anymore.

It's causing problems with the purchase as well, as she doesn't like us to be seen in public together. As an adult who could be living with me in this flat that I'm trying to buy, the mortgage lender wants her to sign a Lenders Occupiers Consent Form, which she has signed, but she won't find a witness to countersign it, so the process of buying this property has stalled. Finding a witness is hard enough for me, as I don't have friends outside of work and we don't have any mutual friends between us. She doesn't want to meet my family either. She has stated that she wants nothing to do with my purchase of this flat, that she's going to live with me for a year, then go back home. I'm thinking about pulling out of the sale, giving her some money and sending her on her way. I don't even know if I want her to be with me for another year, though. I'd rather just draw a line and move on. I'd still have to pay solicitors fees though, and I've already paid for searches and ID checks.

My lease on the flat that I'm renting expires in October and I have been asked if I wish to renew a couple of weeks ago. The landlord wants to take £100pcm off the rent, but I don't want to stay here. We've been here seven years, on a rubbish sofa bed, cramped together, with heat that is brutal in the summer and cookers that shut off the electrics after a few minutes. I'll also be paying for damages when I leave, no doubt. I generally care about things, but I've lost my temper once or twice since I've been here.

I am confused as to what to do next, and I don't know how much time I have left to play around with. I was supposed to go to the coast and sign some things today, but I pulled out due to feeling rough, having doubts, but I don't have the next five days because of work and time is already short.

I probably shouldn't have gone for this property in the first place, but here I am. Sucker.
Make a bunch of fake documents, take all the batteries out of the property, sell them door to door. Profit. Burn any documents and change your bank acct

Back