Rumored Islam vs Gaethje Confirmed by Chael

My biggest problem (if this is true) is Gaethje already had 2 shots at the belt. He only lasted 9 or 10 minutes in those two fights combined. He did some damage in both fights, but his "kill or be killed" style doesn't work well against the very best guys, especially if they have submission skills.
I'm never gonna complain about a kill or be killed style. That same style got Charles the belt and he lost in the same fashion. Charles got finished by Islam around the same time in the fight Justin got finished by khabib.

Was watching the UFC 2023 review show released today, Chael says "Im just told that it's gonna happen" from the producers on the broadcast.

Clipped from the show:

When do you guys think its gonna happen? Saudi card, UFC 299 or 300?
How do you guys think its gonna go?
Should be UFC 299 in Miami. Ramadan starts one day after UFC 299 in March. So, it makes sense to Islam to fight at UFC 299, since he would be unavailable until Spring/Summer because of Ramadan.

I'm never gonna complain about a kill or be killed style. That same style got Charles the belt and he lost in the same fashion. Charles got finished by Islam around the same time in the fight Justin got finished by khabib.
True but Charles won and defended the LW belt, unlike Gaethje.

"Confirmed by Chael" + the NEWS tag do not belong together. <Lmaoo>

But yeah given that the rumors of Oliveira vs Tsarukyan seem to be true it's only logical that they'll do Makhachev vs Gaethje relatively soon.

True, but Dustin is extremely low threat of a return take down. So might change the math a bit.

That's definitely true, but a few inside leg kicks could change the fight.
I actually don't think he'll use many leg kicks at all tbh, just a theory sir.

Could see Justin pulling this off, he was actually doing quite a bit of dmg against Khabib with his leg kicks. And Islam don't have Khabib's ground game.
I tend to agree -- it was a dominant win by Khabib, but I feel like Gaethje did a lot of damage in the first round of their fight that doesn't get enough credit.

Lightweight division is absolutely woeful. Yet people think it's one of the best in the UFC. Strange.

True but Charles won and defended the LW belt, unlike Gaethje.
Yes and he did against guys with the same kill or be killed style. Justin has earned his title shot is my point and just because he went out swinging in a relatively short fight shouldnt be held against him any more than it should when Charles lost in similar fashion.

Last edited:
Lightweight division is absolutely woeful. Yet people think it's one of the best in the UFC. Strange.
People said that 2-4 years ago, when the division was fresher and more promising. Gaethje blowing 2 title shots, Dariush getting old, Tony falling off a cliff, Conor failing to come back, Poirier passing his prime, etc. has taken a lot of shine and drama out of it. It's still great, though, but the gap between the champ and the rest of the guys is sickening, so it seems weak now.

Excited for this fight but let's hope Justin doesn't pull out like Islam's last opponent and it ends up being another rematch.

Leg kicks wont work as effective against Makhachev. He is a southpaw, which takes away the calf kick for Gaethje.
If you think Whitman and Justin can’t cook up the footwork needed to land the calf kick in open stance, you’re high.

How can you say that? Did you not watch that masterful MMA clinic between Tony and Paddy?

I see him having more of a chance to beat Islam than Khabib. I don't think it's necessarily a wash for Islam but who knows.

I tend to agree -- it was a dominant win by Khabib, but I feel like Gaethje did a lot of damage in the first round of their fight that doesn't get enough credit.
Merry Christmas and a wonderful New Year to one of the nicest dudes on this site..... that's you sir :)

Back