Is this really a fair wage to ask for a Babysitter?

Unreasonable just from a costs perspective. Illogical from a trust one.

Not worth it. The getting kids up and driving them is a $20 thing (imo).

$10 bucks is what you would pay someone to watch your kid and make them dinner while you are gone for a few hours.

Minimum wage in South Australia for a guy picking up glasses in a bar is $21/hour. On Public holidays it's $60/hour.

I have no idea how paramedics over USA way get by on $15/hour. $15/hours for McDonalds workers seems low.

In fact, legislation was just passed last month allowing parents to let their kids walk to school, because it had become so taboo that folks were calling children's services on parents who let their kids walk.

n725075089_288918_2774.jpg

Too many snitches these days

I'm just wondering why a 7 and 10 year old need help getting dressed and eating in the morning.

7 maybe needs help with time management. 10 should be good to go. Always nice to have an adult around.

$10 is bs.

well since i dont like children, id do it for about $20.00 per hour.

10 a day? That's slave wages. They should at least be getting minimum wage an hour.

is it a full service babysitter?

I charge my wife at least $15 a day to get the kids fed and taken to school. $30 a day to watch them on weekends and $60 on holidays. $10 is chump change.

I charge my wife at least $15 a day to get the kids fed and taken to school. $30 a day to watch them on weekends and $60 on holidays. $10 is chump change.

I hate babysitting my own kids!

amirite?! :icon_lol:

It would be rare, certainly, to find a situation where it is worth someone's while. That being said, it is pretty easy to envision a scenario where it could work out for someone.

I can't think of any scenario unless its someone who doesn't want money in the first place. Like a family friend who likes kids and the parents are just paying them gas money.

I recently went through the same search as the person who posted the ad in the OP...need someone to get my kids up and fed and on the bus in the morning (don't need to drive them anywhere).

It's tough, because who wants to be up that early for a one-hour job? We found a girl in the neighborhood who will be going to Community College this fall. Her classes don't start until 9:30 or something, so she just needs to get up a little earlier, drive/walk 2.5 blocks to my house, shepherd the kids through their morning routines and get on with her life. She picks up some spending money without much disruption to her routine. And when I say spending money, we're paying about what the ad in the OP indicated...about $10 a day....will throw in more if she hangs around and does the breakfast dishes and straightens the house up a bit.

I knew we'd have to find someone in the neighborhood because nobody wants to drive even 15 minutes for a 1-hour job. So I knew it was either going to be a student or a retired grandmother or something like that.

I hate babysitting my own kids!

amirite?! :icon_lol:

Its the worst. It's like, just because I had a hand in creating you (allegedly) you expect me to deal with your emotional bullshit? Gtfo.

I have no idea how paramedics over USA way get by on $15/hour.

I dont know how the cost of living compares but a paramedic making 15$/hr is going go be about 50-55k a year depending on Kelly days and such. Some of my guys get up into the 60 and 70s. And I literally live/work in a top 5 poorest city in the US.

You wont get rich but you can make a pretty good living considering its a 2 year degree and you get 200+ days off a year.

lol to wake them up? I know babysitters that charge more than that an hour. Maybe if you're an au pair, the wages are reduced since you're living with the family

Fair deal imo..............................for a pedophile

Minimum wage in South Australia for a guy picking up glasses in a bar is $21/hour. On Public holidays it's $60/hour.

I have no idea how paramedics over USA way get by on $15/hour. $15/hours for McDonalds workers seems low.

Australia has a different economy. Your salaries are much higher but your prices are also higher. This is why Australians on internet always complain that Australian prices are too high because they look at American prices from the perspective of a high Australian salary. In reality it evens out.

Bro, do you even convert?

I was cruising the local facebook classifieds and I saw this ad,

I don't have kids so I'm out of the loop when it comes to this kind of stuff, but this seems kind of chintzy.

Edit* Also, When I was a kid the solution to these parents problem would be to have the 10 year old get up on her own, wake up the 7 year old, have them poor themselves a bowl of cereal, brush their teeth, and walk their ass's to the bus stop.

It's outrageously cheap. You could not get a baby sitter to just drive to your house and leave for $10.00.

As to part 2-NO- It is not practical, or fair, to have a 10 year old responsible for getting his 7 year old sibling to school on time. And No, responsible parents would not head off to work leaving their 10 and 7 year old child responsible for themselves ans unsupervised.

There is a difference between a 10 and 7 year old getting themselves ready to go for school, and being completely left alone to do it.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back