Is this really a fair wage to ask for a Babysitter?

Suburban Chicago.

It's $50+ untaxed dollars a week for getting up a little early and what amounts to 5 hours work, maybe.

5 hours of work spread over an entire week. That's shit dude. You're paying someone minimum wage to take care of your kids for an hour.

f that. its a steal. if you aren't the chick getting the $50, you should applaud Jackie for a great rate and getting someone to do that. and dishes? :icon_lol:

What about a high school kid that could use the extra money and it wouldn't be too much hassle since she could just drop them off on her way to school?

What about a retired person with nothing better to do?

What about a young adult who lives and works in the area and could just drop the kids off on her way to work?

In each case, they could easily do it and not be terribly inconvenienced. As I mentioned in my first post, it would have to be the right scenario, and certainly would not be realistic if they were expecting to pay the same cheap wages for after school, 1/2 day off or full day off care. Unlikely, yes, but definitely conceivable.

A high school kid would make more just working at starbucks. And they don't have to wake your kids up and feed them.

Young adults value an extra hour of sleep over what amounts to lunch money for taking care of your kids for an hour.

Sounds like the perfect perfect internship for someone looking to go into the field of stay at home parenting. Or wanting to go into debt.

I would definitely call it irresponsible parenting. If you had a 7 year old child, would you hire an 11 year old to babysit them?

I don't know about where you live, but I don't see too many 11 year old baby sitters in my neck of the woods.

I used to babysit my sister's daughter when I was 10. She and her (Now Husband) lived in an apartment a block down the street from our parents house. My niece was under a year old too.

She started out having me watch her while she would run to the store. She saw that I could handle it so I would babysit for them if they wanted to go out on a weekend night. Feeding and changing a baby isn't rocket science.

I thought it was kind of cool at the time. i'd make a few bucks and copy some cd's to cassettes. (they had a HUGE cd collection)While they were gone I would also clean her apartment and do the dishes with out her asking. This was in 1990 and there were no cell phones either. She would just leave me the number to the place they were going.

I never felt overwhelmed during any of it. Imo 10 years old is plenty old enough. Maybe not with today's coddled youth, but It was back then anyway.

Last edited:
lol.. i'd wipe my ass with that ten dollars... fuck outtahere.

Yeah, neighbor kid or relative only. For $10 a day, I wouldn't feel safe leaving my two little daughters with someone. $10 isn't much incentive to be "great" as the advertisement asks for.

The local crackhead might be interested. The morning after a night of smoking all their crack and they have no cash left, they can score an easy $10. lol

those people will get someone to take that deal. meth-heads and crack-addicts, that is. good luck cheap parents!

A high school kid would make more just working at starbucks. And they don't have to wake your kids up and feed them.

Young adults value an extra hour of sleep over what amounts to lunch money for taking care of your kids for an hour.

You're right. Nobody could use a conservatively calculated extra $1500 per year when it has little to no impact on their normal life.

Need to find out if the daughters are hot, before any other decisions are made.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back