Is this really a fair wage to ask for a Babysitter?

Over time

Our medics work 24 on 48 off. So in a 2wk pay period, you have 120hr.

15 x 80 = 1,200. then add over-time
22.5 x 40 = 900

So 2,100 per 2 weeks x 26 pay checks = 54,600

Actually you get two 120hr checks and then a 96 which would bring that down a bit. But you also get off late pretty often or whatever so you recoup a lot of that. So rather than make the math more complicated, I just said 50-55.

I'm an operations manager for a private ems service. Should we be paid more? Absolutely! But a lot of the complaining you see about fire fighters and medics making 12$ an hour is misleading. Its hard for people to wrap their heads around the schedule.

Thanks. So i'm guessing it's a 24hr on call shift where a fair amount of time is spent resting? it'd be an insane amount of pressure to be driving and attending to patients for 24hrs straight.

In my city babysitters demand $10-15 an hour. It's ridiculous.

Thanks. So i'm guessing it's a 24hr on call shift where a fair amount of time is spent resting? it'd be an insane amount of pressure to be driving and attending to patients for 24hrs straight.

Meh, yes and no. There was once a running joke that said EMS = Earn Money Sleeping.

Call volume has went through the roof in the last several years though and it is a mixed bag. When I was a shift medic it pretty much on average was like this. Out of 5 shifts you would have a shift where you crashed at 10 o clock and slept till shift change, a shift where you never even took off your boots, and 3 shifts where you would sleep a couple hours, run a call and maybe grab a couple more. Or just get 2-3 one hour naps in.

Meh, yes and no. There was once a running joke that said EMS = Earn Money Sleeping.

Call volume has went through the roof in the last several years though and it is a mixed bag. When I was a shift medic it pretty much on average was like this. Out of 5 shifts you would have a shift where you crashed at 10 o clock and slept till shift change, a shift where you never even took off your boots, and 3 shifts where you would sleep a couple hours, run a call and maybe grab a couple more. Or just get 2-3 one hour naps in.

Never been on a shift in the US but in London I rode with an ambulance crew servicing central/west London for 12 hours and most of the time they were singing or eating. I really didn't see much work being done in the shift. They tried to only respond to the "blue codes" because that meant they could take longer... 1-2 hours-ish on paper work but it was really them just sitting around talking. I was with them on the same day One-direction was in London too so the traffic was horrific and they purposely took a "blue call" to get out of traffic. It turned out it wasn't really a blue call, but an old lady who fell in the shower. They kind of reminded me of a paramedic version of SuperBad. It was nice talking to them about GoT though.

I never suggested 10 year old children were helpless.

I suggested that heading out for work before your children wake up, leaving your 10 year old child solely responsible for waking their 7 year old sibling, and making sure they both got to school on time, is not responsible parenting.

If you would care to make an argument against THAT assertion, I'd be happy to hear it.

my sister and i arrived in canada when i was 7 and she was 11 from Vietnam

we barely spoke english

my parents had to both work in order for us to have money to live

my sister took care of me and ensured that i was fed in the morning and was able to get to school on time, we walked about 2km each way

mind you this was in 1987 so maybe times were safer back then

Well, the parents should get the kids an alarm clock or something so the babysitter doesn't have to go in and wake them the fuck up themselves.

The 10 year old should at least be able to pour a bowl of fucking cereal for herself and her sister.

Shit, those kids should be up and ready to go by time the babysitter gets there to drive them to school or something. They shouldn't have to baby them like that and drive them to school for only 10 bucks at a time. The one child is 10, she should be very capable of getting out of bed herself and getting some cereal for herself and her sister.

When I was that age, I was doing my own shit and walking to school. I had to wake up myself because my brother wouldn't wake me up (2 years older than me) and I did just fine.

If the 10 year old can't get up and pour cereal, then the parents must be retarded or something. May as well tell the babysitter that diapers have to be changed, too.

my sister and i arrived in canada when i was 7 and she was 11 from Vietnam

we barely spoke english

my parents had to both work in order for us to have money to live

my sister took care of me and ensured that i was fed in the morning and was able to get to school on time, we walked about 2km each way

mind you this was in 1987 so maybe times were safer back then

I have stipulated many times in the thread that parents do this regularly out of a real or perceived necessity. And that it does not make them bad parents overall. But there is no question that it is not responsible parenting for the reasons I provided in earlier posts.

I have stipulated many times in the thread that parents do this regularly out of a real or perceived necessity. And that it does not make them bad parents overall. But there is no question that it is not responsible parenting for the reasons I provided in earlier posts.

i wouldn't call it irresponsible parenting

i think 7 and 11 are sufficient age

$20/hr. for good service. Plus free food in the fridge, or leave some money for a pizza.

Let the babysitter know you have video cameras installed everywhere in the house and only allow computer use on restricted and approved sites.

If the security alarm goes off, tell the babysitter what the procedure will be. The company will call and the cops will show up. So, don't let anyone in or out of the house, unless an emergency.

Have paintings of Lucifer hung in various spots of the house. Have pics of automatic weapons in the bathroooms, and laundry room.

That's about all I can think of right now, for a pleasant night out w/o having to worry about the kids.

The person who wrote the ad must be a Reebok executive.

i wouldn't call it irresponsible parenting

i think 7 and 11 are sufficient age

I would definitely call it irresponsible parenting. If you had a 7 year old child, would you hire an 11 year old to babysit them?

I don't know about where you live, but I don't see too many 11 year old baby sitters in my neck of the woods.

The person who wrote the ad must be a Reebok executive.

Spit out my drink. Literally. That was epic.

u3gspi.jpg

I would definitely call it irresponsible parenting. If you had a 7 year old child, would you hire an 11 year old to babysit them?

I don't know about where you live, but I don't see too many 11 year old baby sitters in my neck of the woods.

At 11 my cousin was staying with us full time for the summer and babysitting us (sister and I, 5 and 6) while my parents worked everyday.

But that was back in 91, so different times.

If I knew the 11 year old and they were not abnormal, yes I would

I recently went through the same search as the person who posted the ad in the OP...need someone to get my kids up and fed and on the bus in the morning (don't need to drive them anywhere).

It's tough, because who wants to be up that early for a one-hour job? We found a girl in the neighborhood who will be going to Community College this fall. Her classes don't start until 9:30 or something, so she just needs to get up a little earlier, drive/walk 2.5 blocks to my house, shepherd the kids through their morning routines and get on with her life. She picks up some spending money without much disruption to her routine. And when I say spending money, we're paying about what the ad in the OP indicated...about $10 a day....will throw in more if she hangs around and does the breakfast dishes and straightens the house up a bit.

I knew we'd have to find someone in the neighborhood because nobody wants to drive even 15 minutes for a 1-hour job. So I knew it was either going to be a student or a retired grandmother or something like that.

Where do you live? In California that isn't spending money, it'd be insulting to give someone 10 dollars for that.

Where do you live? In California that isn't spending money, it'd be insulting to give someone 10 dollars for that.

Suburban Chicago.

It's $50+ untaxed dollars a week for getting up a little early and what amounts to 5 hours work, maybe.

Back