Is this real Jiu-Jitsu?

Valiss

Reaction score
I am not a grappler, but I saw this online a couple of months ago and I'm trying to figure out if this is real. And if it is real, how come no one uses it in the UFC or other events? What's this guy's deal?

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/8a2wtyx7oRE&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/8a2wtyx7oRE&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Its real. Just, some extremely high level/low percentage stuff in there, but its real in a best case senario. It also looks to include a lot of techs from more than just jits.

Not in UFC because with any training most of it can and wuill be countered.

It's real in the sense that you could theoretically attempt to perform these moves on someone.

It's not real in the sense that it's overly flashy and complicated. To defend yourself, you would probably use much simpler techniques.

As stated above, you will never see this in competition because it's far too easy to counter. It's just a demonstration of cool looking stuff rather than an example of practical techniques.

From the perspective of someone who's never trained at the gym, and has only visited their website and watched a promotional video, it looks like nothing I'd want to be associated with.

Not my style. Not a fan. Nothing nice to say.

All those moves start like this:

"OK...just stand limp in front of me"

As someone who does a lot of kicking, all I can comment on is his back-of-the-head kick he does at 0:41. I can tell you that his kick wouldn't even phase me in a fight. But as I said, I don't know about all the other stuff.

Has the founder/head instructor at that place - Jeremy Corbell - ever competed in anything that any of you know about? I tried the quick google search, but found nothing. I'm curious if he has ever beaten another black belt (or anyone, for that matter) in competition.

Come on guys, wouldn't it be awesome to offer to shake someones hand and then hit them with a flying, rolling armbar like he does at 0:22? Wouldn't you be the popular guy at the office?

I think it is fun and neat to watch, kind of like a movie but very few of the techniques are useful in any real sense.

this guy is an incredible athlete and the stuff looks good, but my question is can he teach this to his students and can they perform these moves themselves on resisting opponents?

I believ he is linked to Frank Shamrock with regards to the ground stuff.

Looks fun!

*Edit*
The black belt test on the homepage is one of the most hilarous videos I have seen, yet impressive.

i knew what it was before i even opened the thread.

that is not real jiu-jitsu. that is shit that has been decorated and spiced to look like dessert

All those moves start like this:

"OK...just stand limp in front of me"

Right! Then when I touch...throw your feet over your head in the most dramatic sense possible! lol

Dont get me worng some of it LOOKED cool but it seems to border of the silliness of a TKD seminar!

I think this was billed as exactly what it looked like, awesome looking stuff.

When you are doing a flying armbar that takes a full 1.5 seconds to do though cause your flipping around the dude, its not a good flying armbar.

I wouldnt be surprised if the dude is legit and could beat the hell out of most of us reading this.

Back