Is this real Jiu-Jitsu?

I am not a grappler, but I saw this online a couple of months ago and I'm trying to figure out if this is real. And if it is real, how come no one uses it in the UFC or other events? What's this guy's deal?

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/8a2wtyx7oRE&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/8a2wtyx7oRE&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

It's crap.

It's like TKD version of BJJ.

I'd love to roll with some of those tough guys.

It's crap and actually a disgrace to the concept of BJJ.

And BTW, that video isn't BJJ, it's Aika-Jitsu which was an 80's invention that's....

CRAP

if you notice, all of his counters are done off the dreaded "single punch and leave it fully extended so i can use my awesome counter." Look man, any good striker will laugh at this stuff because, noone punches just once, noone punches at just one angle and noone leaves their arm out there after a punch.

Maybe they are stunt guys who are getting ready for the movie "Redbelt". -_o

Bruce Lee once said, "don't get caught up on the golden leaves of the tree but rather, study the trunk." I tend to agree with him.

None of that shit would work reliably on someone who wasn't letting you perform the move on them. Not that flying armbars are impossible.. but his sets are flashy FOR THE SAKE OF BEING FLASHY! A flying armbar needs to be quick so your opponent doesn't have time to resist. You can just watch his partner just standing there for seconds as he transitions.

I am sure the sensei is probably both a good grappler/athlete. But he is making his technique worse for the vanity of showing off his athleticism. That is good choreography but bad jiu jitsu,

I remember this video. The handshake to armbar cracks me up.

Watch this video and you'll understand my point...

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/t1JOhuuaYpg&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/t1JOhuuaYpg&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

It's crap.

It's like TKD version of BJJ.

I'd love to roll with some of those tough guys.

It's crap and actually a disgrace to the concept of BJJ.

And BTW, that video isn't BJJ, it's Aika-Jitsu which was an 80's invention that's....

CRAP

Awe come on, it's not crap. You weren't entertained? It's not like it's being marketed as actual self-defense (or is it?).

it's a new style, oddly enough, called "BJJ".

Breakdance Jiu Jitsu.

the revolution began with the release of the movie 'Zoolander' where masters Wilson and Stiller displayed their prowess in the very early form of this martial style.

I have no problems with it. IMO, I think the guy knows what he is doing. he is just putting extra spice for outsiders and layman who would find grappling visually boring.

Essentially brining jiu jitsu to the masses. No problem with that as long as when they start training they work the right stuff.

looks like a bunch of useless shit to me. his throws were normal throws but done hard so he would do an ogoshi and swing the guy around a lil bit more than usual. all of the flying attacks are pretty useless as we all know no one leaves their arm out after throwing one punch. i would like to see him compete in any type of grappling competiton

You wouldn't believe some of the shit I could do...if no one was resisting.

that's a cool video love that hip throw and switch slam it's awesome and is hella effective

I have no problems with it. IMO, I think the guy knows what he is doing. he is just putting extra spice for outsiders and layman who would find grappling visually boring.

Essentially brining jiu jitsu to the masses. No problem with that as long as when they start training they work the right stuff.

I think this is fine for a demo. However, I disagree with your statement if this is the type of stuff he focuses on in class. Does anyone here know what his classes are like?

practicality went out the window on some of those.

There was one in particular where he could've done a standard ogoshi, but instead kept hold of him and dropped him on the other side.

A bit unneccessary - and it made it look like a pro-wrestling move.

yea notice how is "partner" is always still... most of these you would just have to jerk back to counter

That step up flying armbar thing he did was fucking COOL. But seriously impractical. This looks like some Milano Collection AT shit.

practicality went out the window on some of those.

There was one in particular where he could've done a standard ogoshi, but instead kept hold of him and dropped him on the other side.

A bit unneccessary - and it made it look like a pro-wrestling move.

See that was my thought: he's putting a lot of effort into a crazy move that could have been finished already. But I bet it would look good in the movies. I just cant see it getting used in MMA..... but could this effective in submission grappling matches where there are no strikes? Probably now, but I'd like to see him try it. :)

pretty cool stuff, kinda like "gorilla jiu jitsu". looks like some judo techniques but alot of extra stuff added.

Yeah, gorilla jiu jitsu is good, but it's no lemur jiu jitsu.

I'm not sure how practical most of the stuff he was doing was but it looked nifty and if I were at a Jits competition I wouldn't mind watching that in Kata form.

Back