Is there "rolling" or any form of resistance in aikido

I like how this briefly diverged into a mystical glory hole conversation.

Rofl, really? I've trained with and gone drinking with most of the living deshi of Ueshiba. I've never heard that one, although it's not the dumbest thing I've been told.
What are the dumbest things you've heard in that line? If that's not at least top 5 they have to be amazing.

My most embarrassing defeat in training so far was when a high ranking aikido black belt tapped me with some lame wrist lock when I was a white belt.
But generally things like soccer, rugby or rock climbing are much more useful for fighting.

At the uni sports open day when I signed up for the MMA and checked out the judo, one of the aikido guys stopped me and said 'hold up there, you can't just talk to the other martial arts guys and then walk past us'

Lol that is like the most Aikido-y comment ever.

They are probably using that social Aikido to try to pick up all the ladies too.

I was simply saying Aikido techniques might have some use for weapons based or committed attacks since sport BJJ and Judo has no weapons or striking awareness.
If aikidoka ever trained with someone swinging at them in any sort of realistic fashion, I might believe this. My own experience is only a year in one club so I am open to hear that there is better training out there. The club I was in was mostly crunchy granola types who would be aghast at the prospect of actually hurting anyone - we weren't fighting, we were "blending".

So other aikido guys - anyone ever swing something at you with bad intentions? Ever do the marker drill that some of the eskrima guys do? This is where you wear some old clothes and an attacker uses a marker as a knife. Everybody gets "cut", it's a real eye-opener.

If Aikido is so feeble even in a one-on-one grappling or MMA context, to imagine it will suddenly sprout utility in an even more violent and difficult situation (multiple opponents coming at you w/ weapons etc) is crack pipe land.

This.

I never understood this mentality that the BJJ/MMA guy might beat the TMA guy if it was unarmed one on one, but if it was 5 BJJ/MMA guys with weapons against one unarmed TMA guy then all of a sudden the TMA guy would win. It's like TMA'ers are David Banner when it's one on one but get mad and turn into the Hulk when multiple opponents or weapons show up.

I would argue that Aikido would not work well for that. Sure that attacker is giving you all his base and force to re-direct but chances are the timing won't be perfect and the Aikido technique will only half ass work - and then what? Aikidoka don't practice the "what if?". In Judo and BJJ, you deal with whatever happens in the moment.

The "what if" is your Judo and BJJ.

But what Aikido might contribute is ability to get off the line of the attack.

Maybe the throw doesn't work and you transition to a Judo throw but you're not dead and the disarm may work.

I don't see why don't apply the same validation to bjj if you're talking about cross training. In your bedroom/angry husband scenario, I don't see why the bjj practitioner can't have cross trained. It seems like you're judging bjj as a stand alone art, but allowing a wide range of cross training opportunities for Aikido.

I don't really have an opinion about Aikido, I've never trained it or trained with a person who claims it as their primary discipline. I know what I've read, but I don't take that as gospel.

No, just to clarify Judo, BJJ, Aikido are meant to be trained together. That was my point, that they were never meant to be standalone.

I'm not dumping on BJJ, but sport BJJ as it is taught is really limited. You'll basically be winging it and hoping something you learned on the mat clicks.

Like I said, I'm training at a Relson school and I really like the SD curriculum and the rolling is good.

I take Relson GJJ over Aikido but I wouldn't mind learning a few moves.

aikido probably won't work for any duel...

Exactly, it likely won't.

But it works off of surprise.

Say someone decides to haul off and clock you one and he has no idea you can fight.

That would be the time it would work and probably without super high level of skill.

If aikidoka ever trained with someone swinging at them in any sort of realistic fashion, I might believe this. My own experience is only a year in one club so I am open to hear that there is better training out there. The club I was in was mostly crunchy granola types who would be aghast at the prospect of actually hurting anyone - we weren't fighting, we were "blending".

So other aikido guys - anyone ever swing something at you with bad intentions? Ever do the marker drill that some of the eskrima guys do? This is where you wear some old clothes and an attacker uses a marker as a knife. Everybody gets "cut", it's a real eye-opener.

I've done some drilling with straws.

It reminded me of something I read in a Punisher comic when I was a kid.

The first rule of a knife fight is : You're going to get cut.

This.

I never understood this mentality that the BJJ/MMA guy might beat the TMA guy if it was unarmed one on one, but if it was 5 BJJ/MMA guys with weapons against one unarmed TMA guy then all of a sudden the TMA guy would win. It's like TMA'ers are David Banner when it's one on one but get mad and turn into the Hulk when multiple opponents or weapons show up.

*Bruce Banner.

I could say Aikido works great for scaling 5.14+ rock climbing pitches, 'might' be true, and yet it's not.

Nobody has ever demonstrated Aikido to be useful for anything except ukemi and some restraints that are useful for bouncers/police. Tons of guys in this forum have extensive experience with Aikido, and speak from personal knowledge. If you train grappling for any length of time, it's impossible not to come up against high level aikido practitioners who are cross training. The universal truth is that they can't grapple for shit in an open rules grappling setting.

If Aikido is so feeble even in a one-on-one grappling or MMA context, to imagine it will suddenly sprout utility in an even more violent and difficult situation (multiple opponents coming at you w/ weapons etc) is crack pipe land.

Yes, bouncers and police, that kind of thing, not on the mat. By itself, no but in concert with other things....

Like I said, it's all part of jujitsu not some separate thing. It was never intended to be a standalone.

Bear in mind a lot of the more practical techniques were taken out when they created Aikido. I'm not saying it would work in UFC but bear in mind small joint manipulation and padded gloves do matter. You can't say something won't work when it's against the rules. Stop hiding behind rules and let's have NHB.

Aikido that you see today is not intended for fighting, it's more like a philosophy of movement that has some application to fighting.

That said I doubt it would be great for NHB but you could see people pulling off the occasional move, just like any other thing out there.

I'm pretty sure everyone who isn't completely delusional about their self-defense ability would choose to run in that situation, NOT engage their attackers with some mystical asian bullshido that doesn't really work on someone who is resisting.

but that's just me.Oh, dude, if you couldn't bust that screen then I'm sorry to say that you're a complete white belt as far as the projectile jizzing game is concerned. I was able to destroy a curtain with the slightest drop of my semen within a month's training, personally.

I recommend kegel drills.

Again, sometimes you can't run. You are out with your old dad you gonna run away and leave him to the dogs? What are you Hussein Bolt that you run faster than everyone else?

People don't think they just say shit because it sounds good.

I've fought multiple attackers but I surprised the shit out of them and I was super aggressive.

If I'm walking and three punks are walking by me and they say something about my skin tone, I'm fucking them up because I know what comes next. That's where your street awareness has to save you, there's a time to attack and that's it. You don't sit there and see what they decide to do with you.

I throw punches in that situation but I can see Aikido principles helping on that 2nd or 3rd guy.

BTW usually they ran after I hurt the 1st or 2nd guy real bad. You don't actually need to fight the last guys.

Last edited:
1. Yes, Aikido is a younger ju jitsu ryu, nothing is necessarily wrong with many of the techniques, just the training methods.

2. The Aikido taught today is the post WW2 type where it was opened up to more people and taught as a vehicle for spiritual development more than as a "combat system supplement".

3. "Real street fight" is indeed not an mma fight. It's also not filled with guys waiting to surprise you with a weapon attack every time you walk down the street.

1 & 2 Exactly my point.

3. Depends where you live, I need to show you some places. But I'm bringing an AR-15. ;)

I agree, they don't train well and they are pussies. Aikido is a cluster fuck.

My point is that the techniques aren't in themselves bad and I think someone trained in a grappling sport could probably make them work.

What in the actual fuck. I guess there always needs to be "that guy" on every forum

I could probably make some awful techniques work against an untrained person too; that doesn't make it viable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rank Wang
Back