Is there "rolling" or any form of resistance in aikido

Rolling Thunder

White Belt
Reaction score
Not too well versed on aikido but a buddy of mine after finding out I do bjj claimed that street wise bjj is a bad idea and suggested aikido instead. I don't necessarily disagree about bjj on the streets but it seemed that in his opinion, as a whole, it was a waste of time to train, but I'd much rather have some sort of ground fighting knowledge.

Is it like judo with an emphasis on throws and some newaza?

Not trying to incite a pissing contest, but could anyone with more experience defend or refute his point. From what I saw on YouTube (just technique demonstrations so it might not be the best point of judgement) it seemed that not a lot of resistance is being produced by the attackee.

Overwhelmingly they just do kata. There's a branch called Tomiki/Shodokan who have randori and competition (under quite restrictive rules) but it's a tiny minority.

Most Aikido practitioners I have encountered show a lot of resistance to doing nearly anything remotely practical.

Aikido is without doubt the most useless form of grappling there is out there.

I've heard the argument that it's 'battlefield attacks'. Bullshit. You're telling me that even if you're surrounded by people fighting that you're going to rush head first into an opponent and not stop your momentum or try any sort of defence?

If you want to wear a skirt and tell people you're a martial artist whilst being totally unable to defend yourself then aikido's the sport for you.

Otherwise, pick something that's actually proven and has live sparring.

Judo Thai Boxer your username made me think about this, and imo...

Muay Thai grappling > Aikido grappling

Most Aikido practitioners I have encountered show a lot of resistance to doing nearly anything remotely practical.

amen.

if Aikido worked THAT well, SOMEBODY would have used it in the UFC by now.

MMA has been the worst thing for TMAs that rely on mysticism and bullshido. Not only do a lot more people know what "real" fights look like, they know when people are LARPing.

If only you could convince the LARP crowd they're not doing anything worthwhile or based in reality, but then again, people who gravitate to and immerse themselves in Aikido aren't really looking for reality checks.

I did Aikido for a year. It's a lot of fun, the techniques are interesting. If you're looking to connect with Japanese culture and have an enjoyable evening of light (very light) exercise, Aikido may be for you.

If you're looking to be able to defend yourself or be effective against any other form of grappling, look elsewhere. I think if you took it seriously and trained for 5 years or so, you could probably control your drunk uncle. A 5 year judoka would paste you into the turf without effort, though.

Huh, interesting. Thanks for the feedback. Looks like I'm going to have to feign interest when he talks about it.

Also Rj green,
You've never tried to throw a pretend thunderbolt? It's quite the rush! lol

Huh, interesting. Thanks for the feedback. Looks like I'm going to have to feign interest when he talks about it.

Also Rj green,
You've never tried to throw a pretend thunderbolt? It's quite the rush! lol

we were supposed to like...project our ki...into our fingertips...while holding our breath or something? i have no idea what the fuck was going on. it was one of those things where i think the grandmaster was trying to keep it traditional, but it came off as mystical bullshit.

the worst is the kids who get into the bullshido and go find their own answers. just like any supernatural belief, people can't step back, self-assess, and admit they're pretending they hope it's all real.

yes, freshly black-pantsed Hapkido brown belt with 1.5 years of experience, you will one day be able to channel energy from the ground and use it to effortlessly launch people through the air because the book you found on amazon says so.

Tomiki Akido has a (weird) competitive ruleset that definitely has resistance. There's also a culture of cross-training in judo in that particular subset.

amen.

if Aikido worked THAT well, SOMEBODY would have used it in the UFC by now.

MMA has been the worst thing for TMAs that rely on mysticism and bullshido. Not only do a lot more people know what "real" fights look like, they know when people are LARPing.

If only you could convince the LARP crowd they're not doing anything worthwhile or based in reality, but then again, people who gravitate to and immerse themselves in Aikido aren't really looking for reality checks.

Take off the padded gloves, put on some clothes and shoes, some weapons and I think you'll see a lot of things start working.

That's the problem with this whole UFC = street effectiveness thing.

It's not apples to apples.

Last edited:
Tomiki Akido has a (weird) competitive ruleset that definitely has resistance. There's also a culture of cross-training in judo in that particular subset.

Cross training was normal back in the day, now everything is separated.

Aikido is a subset of Jiu-jitsu, that's what some people don't grasp.

Cross training was normal back in the day, now everything is separated.

Aikido is a subset of Jiu-jitsu, that's what some people don't grasp.

Just like how single finger strikes are a subset of kung fu, which is a subset of striking. It doesn't make it a smart choice.

Just like how single finger strikes are a subset of kung fu, which is a subset of striking. It doesn't make it a smart choice.

It is a smart choice when someone is trying to stab you, swing a bat at you or there's 3 of them. If he runs in fully committed hell yeah.

Other times you go with Judo.

The techniques do work but not alone. Judo is weak by itself also, it is only part of a system.

Take off the padded gloves, put on some clothes and shoes, some weapons and I think you'll see a lot of things start working.

That's the problem with this whole UFC = street effectiveness thing.

It's not apples to apples.

please, regale us with more TALEZ FROM THE STREETZ o sage :rolleyes:

please, regale us with more TALEZ FROM THE STREETZ o sage :rolleyes:

UFC is not combat, accept that.

Otherwise we'd send MMA fighters to Afghanistan.

But we don't, we send guys with shit grappling, crappy takedowns, no standup and big guns.

Much of their training is no sparring.

UFC is not combat, accept that.

Otherwise we'd send MMA fighters to Afghanistan.

But we don't, we send guys with shit grappling, crappy takedowns, no standup and big guns.

Much of their training is no sparring.

Are you telling me grappling doesn't work on people with guns?

Please share more of your wisdom.

Aikido is without doubt the most useless form of grappling there is out there.

I've heard the argument that it's 'battlefield attacks'. Bullshit. You're telling me that even if you're surrounded by people fighting that you're going to rush head first into an opponent and not stop your momentum or try any sort of defence?

If you want to wear a skirt and tell people you're a martial artist whilst being totally unable to defend yourself then aikido's the sport for you.

Otherwise, pick something that's actually proven and has live sparring.

100% pure truth.

Back