is there really a need for 185?

I don't even know what to say

you have examples?

Of fighters who peak at MW?

Weidman, Silva, Jacare, Okami, Bisping, Munoz, Tim Boetsch, Rockhold, Kennedy

I could go on. It's just weight classes are seperated by 10-15 pounds so having a 30 lb jump makes no sense.

I think a lot of the UFC LHW div are fighters who could be MWs, and that is what might be making you think this. Machida is moving down. Rashad has talked about moving down. Henderson is an ex MW, and Vitor fights in both div. Sonnen is an ex MW, etc etc.

you have examples?

dan henderson, anderson silva, bisping, vitor, chael all fought in both

machdia n evns are supposed to make a move

shogun could make a move

those are elites from their respective division.

you seriously think chris leben dont having a optimal weight class is nuff to justify having 185?

There are plenty of big MWs that are too small for LHW. Who cares if some of the smaller LHW fights move down to MW to be more competitive. That hardly proves 185 is a pointless division. If anything MW is becoming more relevant.

I'd like to see a cruiserweight division instead. Maybe at 220 or 225 pounds. Something for the smaller heavyweights and large LHW like Jon Jones. Someone like Cormier would fit right in there too. I also see guys like Stipe Miocic doing well in such a division. It would make a lot of sense and could be one of the more exciting divisions.

Better than the flyweights.

thats a really good idea

you have examples?

dan henderson, anderson silva, bisping, vitor, chael all fought in both

machdia n evns are supposed to make a move

shogun could make a move

those are elites from their respective division.

you seriously think chris leben dont having a optimal weight class is nuff to justify having 185?

IMO there is just a lack of real 205er right now. U only have Gus and Jones who are real 205 pounders. Vera is also one. There is no more Forrest, Tito and Page. Bader also seems quite solid. I am not sure about Glover - seems to make easily weight as well.

There have been a lack for quite some time IMO. The good LHWs were blown up MWs. Wanderlei, Shad, Machida, Shogun, Henderson, Franklin, etc.

Of fighters who peak at MW?

Weidman, Silva, Jacare, Okami, Bisping, Munoz, Tim Boetsch, Rockhold, Kennedy

I could go on. It's just weight classes are seperated by 10-15 pounds so having a 30 lb jump makes no sense.

I think a lot of the UFC LHW div are fighters who could be MWs, and that is what might be making you think this. Machida is moving down. Rashad has talked about moving down. Henderson is an ex MW, and Vitor fights in both div. Sonnen is an ex MW, etc etc.

mw is pretty much lhw minor league.

you have your big guns like weidman n silva (who could also be top guys in lhw) n then you have the rest of the division (lhw rejects)

who ever wasnt good nuff for lhw drops to mw n all of a sudden becomes a title contender.

you rarely see that in other divisions.

a guy not in top 10 dropping down n becomes top 5 n is a fight away from the title.

a green belt? a fucking green belt!?!?

IMO there is just a lack of real 205er right now. U only have Gus and Jones who are real 205 pounders. Vera is also one. There is no more Forrest, Tito and Page. Bader also seems quite solid. I am not sure about Glover - seems to make easily weight as well.

There have been a lack for quite some time IMO. The good LHWs were blown up MWs. Wanderlei, Shad, Machida, Shogun, Henderson, Franklin, etc.

dont you think your "real lhw" are in reality true hw.

most of the guys you mentioned are similar in size to cain n jds.

by removing 185, increasing ww to 175 n reducing lhw to 200 or 195

you would have

more "smaller mw" making the move to ww n actually challenge gsp

meduim/large mw n small lhw actually be in same division n fight each other

discourage big lhw from cutting n staying in hw.

So long as we don't go the boxing route I'm good. Look at this shit
Weight Class
Limit in Stone kg Pounds
Mini Flyweight (IBF/WBO)
Strawweight (WBC)
Minimumweight (WBA) 7

This is a stupid idea. Sorry, it just is. What determines how many weight classes you have is how deep the talent pool is which is determined largely by how many people weigh a certain amount. Athletes that weigh 185 after cutting are pretty common where as there aren't too many that fall into the heavyweight division that aren't off playing football instead, which is why the division is so wide. Also, in deeper weight classes, differences in size become all the more important, making it important to have them closer together, not further apart. If WW and LHW looked more like HW, we would just have the bigger athletes owning everyone else. Therefore, it makes sense to have MW as a weight class. There is already a 20 lb difference between MW and LHW as compared to the 15 lbs on the lower end. That seems about right to me. In every weight class there are people that can barely make that weight class which tells me they are working the way they are designed.

lhw IS a weak division, but i wouldnnt get rid of it just yet... were finally starting to see another evolutionary wave there.

the truth is most 205ers are really guys who can move to 185 but dont. theres only a handful of true 205ers now.

I like it the way it is now but would be open to upping it to 190lbs and adding a cruiser weight of 191 lbs - 210 lbs, light heavy weight 211 - 230 and the heavyweight division to be over 231 lbs up to 270lbs. This would be benefit for guys like Cormier, Pat Barry, Brandon Vera, Jon Jones, Anthony Johnson (if he ever comes back the the UFC) and Matt Sera if he comes out of retirement.

Things are fine the way they are now but if you had to gut one of the 8 divisions it would probably be MW. Much of the MW talent throughout UFC history has been LHW's who were good but not good enough dropping weight. Keep MW though it now has a storied tradition and we don't want to screw that up.

Guys who can't hang at 205 need to go somewhere less competitive.

Screw weight classes. What we need are height classes.
Can you imagine the awesome matchups!!!!????

George Roop v Cain Velasquez

I'd pay to see that.

PS: We already know Carwin would be the HpH best fighter in the world.

I'd have 155, 175, 200lbs and HW.
Very deep divisions with amazing rankings.

edit: I like open weight as well. From 180lbs, which any LW can easily reach.

Back