Is Mayweather trying to set up....

Boxers in MMA tend to be very fun to watch. Just watch Ronda Rousey's last fight as well.

Lol poor Timmy. Holm is different she also competed in kickboxing and trains at one of the premier gyms in the world. I just don't want a James toney repeat.

Lol poor Timmy. Holm is different she also competed in kickboxing and trains at one of the premier gyms in the world. I just don't want a James toney repeat.

True.....But she is still a boxer at heart since that is her primary style.

And there are boxers who crosstrain in other styles just for the fun of it.

My point is that in MMA the boxer will usually have a puncher's chance since a MMA fight always starts on the feet.

Again. UFC has new owners who may be more open minded into allowing their fighters to participate in other sports. They themselves can set up and promote the boxing match for PPV.

You make it seem as if Boxing has one monopolized organization that holds all of the boxing matches worldwide.
The thread was asking if Mayweather was trying to promote it. My question on the contracts is whether or not they would be able to go box for a different promotion while under contract with the UFC. I'm well aware that UFC could put on boxing match if they felt like it.

Mcgregor vs. Diaz III, in boxing. As a boxing and MMA fan there is no way I would spend money on watching Conor vs. Floyd in boxing. It wouldn't be remotely competitive and would likely be a fairly boring fight as Floyd isn't really a KO artist. However, I would love to see Conor v Nate under boxing rules.

Their fight set records in the UFC, and if they were able to sell close to as many PPV's outside of the UFC in the boxing pay structure under TMT they would make far more money. Both Conor and Nate have been getting licensed for boxing recently, and Nate is obviously in contact with Floyd.

Do you guys think UFC fans would buy this fight in boxing like they did for MMA? If they did an even split and sold a million PPV's both would walk away with by far their largest payday. Do you guys think this is a possibility?

Floyd vs Conor vs Jones

The thread was asking if Mayweather was trying to promote it. My question on the contracts is whether or not they would be able to go box for a different promotion while under contract with the UFC. I'm well aware that UFC could put on boxing match if they felt like it.

If UFC gets a cut than I could see it happening.

The last I heard is that they couldnt do something that would be considered competition to the UFC. They may have added more legal wording to the contracts but I believe that part is the same.

Is that definite? I know they can go do the little BJJ tourneys, but I would assume that PPV boxing would be a little different. I don't know everything about their contracts obviously, but I have never heard of a UFC fighter taking a pro boxing fight.

Who's going to pay to see them fight a third time with boxing rules?

The last I heard is that they couldnt do something that would be considered competition to the UFC. They may have added more legal wording to the contracts but I believe that part is the same.
Wouldn't boxing be considered competition? Obviously we are both guessing a bit here. I would be interested to know definitively if they are even aloud to box without the UFC's consent. My guess would have to be "no."

Boxing is not competition to the UFC.

Bellator MMA is.

I doubt they could do it while under contract with the UFC. Fighters are allowed to do grappling tournaments with permission from the UFC but they aren't really competing with the UFC or interfering with the UFC's business. I don't think they would let their fighters compete in boxing without getting a cut or being involved in the promotion. Which would kind of defeat the purpose because the revenue split between the UFC and their fighters is much more lopsided toward the promoter than in boxing.

It could be argued that anything combat sports related on PPV is in the realm of competition for the UFC.

Wouldn't boxing be considered competition? Obviously we are both guessing a bit here. I would be interested to know definitively if they are even aloud to box without the UFC's consent. My guess would have to be "no."

Anybody under a contract in any sport cannot do something else under another contract without the boss's consent.

Maybe the PPV part. Barnett is active in different things and sports and the UFC was not able to keep him from participating.

It could be argued that anything combat sports related on PPV is in the realm of competition for the UFC.

I doubt they could do it while under contract with the UFC. Fighters are allowed to do grappling tournaments with permission from the UFC but they aren't really competing with the UFC or interfering with the UFC's business. I don't think they would let their fighters compete in boxing without getting a cut or being involved in the promotion. Which would kind of defeat the purpose because the revenue split between the UFC and their fighters is much more lopsided toward the promoter than in boxing.

This happened too when a boxer name Ricardo Mayorga was supposed to fight Din Thomas in MMA but it was pulled the last minute because Don King threatened to sue Mayorga and the MMA organization for breach of contract.

Maybe the PPV part. Barnett is active in different things and sports and the UFC was not able to keep him from participating.

He's a commentator, though, isn't he? He's not actively participating in contests last I heard of. Have I missed something?

UFC will never allow it contractually, but I would definitely like to see a boxing rules match between them.

Who's going to pay to see them fight a third time with boxing rules?
I was asking if fans would be up for it, I would rather pay for this than Floyd vs Conor. Conor fans are talking like him vs. Floyd would net Conor $100million, but I can't imagine that many people wanting to see a one sided noncompetitive fight. I'm not sure if people would pay for this either but it seems weird that both are getting boxing licenses and Floyd and Nate are now buddies.

Back