Is Max Holloway the only realistic backup for UFC 303 if McGregor pulls out?

svmr_db

Gold Belt
Platinum Member
Reaction score
If UFC calls Max Holloway right now & had him start preparing to fight Chandler for the BMF title, is that only realistic headliner they could line up in the event that McGregor doesn't make it to the fight?

I think Max would be willing to do it if UFC was backing up the Brinks truck for him. He'd probably still be favored to beat Chandler even at 170.

What would be the other options to save UFC 303? No other champions are going to fight on 1 months notice I imagine.

Also there is no other opponent that could fight Chandler in the main event & keep it a PPV. I'm sure someone like Oliveira would be willing to fight Chandler on this short of notice, but surely the UFC wouldn't try selling that as a PPV. Card should instantly turn into be downgraded to a fight night if they tried to headline with something like that imo.

I'm not sure Chandler accepts it considering how long he's been waiting for Conor already, that being said Chandler's also a company man so I'm sure if the UFC really want him to he'll accept a replacement.

I think Max could step in, however I'm not sure if him against Chandler makes too much sense since I would imagine they're saving Max for a bigger fight like him against Topuria. I could see them just saving Conor/Chandler for a later card and making a title bout last minute to somewhat salvage UFC 303.
Pereira/Ank or Pereira/Jiri 2?

Lmao literally came here to post "Chandler vs Max at 170 for the bmf belt"

Don't like Max on so short notice but Chandler only has a 7 min gas tank and Max had a goat chin.

I assumed they would move some other main event over to fill it.

UFC would have to throw a bag at either Edwards/Muhammad or Aspinall/Blaydes to fight on 303 instead of 304, I'm sure all those fighters would be very hesitant to cut their training camps short by several weeks but it could work given it'd be a level playing field between the fighters.

I'm not sure Chandler accepts it considering how long he's been waiting for Conor already, that being said Chandler's also a company man so I'm sure if the UFC really want him to he'll accept a replacement.

I think Max could step in, however I'm not sure if him against Chandler makes too much sense since I would imagine they're saving Max for a bigger fight like him against Topuria. I could see them just saving Conor/Chandler for a later card and making a title bout last minute to somewhat salvage UFC 303.
Pereira/Ank or Pereira/Jiri 2?

Well remember UFC would be in "break glass in case of emergency" mode if they had to save UFC 303. Same way Volk likely would've fought Topuria in January if he never got roped into doing the Islam rematch on short notice in October. So UFC wouldn't hesitate to break up / delay upcoming future fights if they have to do it to save a card.

Pereira & Prochazka I could see as being two guys crazy enough to fight with a 1 month training camp, pretty much nobody else though.

Well remember UFC would be in "break glass in case of emergency" mode if they had to save UFC 303. Same way Volk likely would've fought Topuria in January if he never got roped into doing the Islam rematch on short notice in October. So UFC wouldn't hesitate to break up / delay upcoming future fights if they have to do it to save a card.

Pereira & Prochazka I could see as being two guys crazy enough to fight with a 1 month training camp, pretty much nobody else though.
Yea, I was looking at the other champions and they're either already booked or wouldn't bring enough eyes.
Like Izzy/DDP is being saved for UFC 305, can't see them wanting to put that in jeopardy to save this(unless UFC 305 gets Topuria/Volk 2 somehow I guess).

Im not sure how it works, but i would assume the contracts are signed and they have to honor the agreed upon amount regardless of a change in opponent, in some cases i would assume they would offer even more to take a last minute opponent.

That's a rough one for Chandler. Someone also needs to slap Max and tell him to stay at LW. He's a new man up there, and with some generational overhaul in that division, he'd bring some life.

If UFC calls Max Holloway right now & had him start preparing to fight Chandler for the BMF title, is that only realistic headliner they could line up in the event that McGregor doesn't make it to the fight?

I think Max would be willing to do it if UFC was backing up the Brinks truck for him. He'd probably still be favored to beat Chandler even at 170.

What would be the other options to save UFC 303? No other champions are going to fight on 1 months notice I imagine.

Also there is no other opponent that could fight Chandler in the main event & keep it a PPV. I'm sure someone like Oliveira would be willing to fight Chandler on this short of notice, but surely the UFC wouldn't try selling that as a PPV. Card should instantly turn into be downgraded to a fight night if they tried to headline with something like that imo.
I have seen Volk putting his name out there as getting ready to be sub, quite a few times on SM

LepreConor throwing a monkey wrench into Chandler's financial future.

Max might put on a successful show -- but interest is not at the same level as Conor.

Blessed about to get that red panty night minus Cokenor, simply for saving 303 that's on life support

Max,Gaejthe,and maybe Volk could fill in. I don't really like any of those matchups and I don't know how quickly they could fill up to 170lbs

Call me a doomer but I think Mike would refuse. I think he's going to just wait for something that never happens. And Conor takes a big L because well, he's Conor, and spiraling continually into drug abuse while his life falls apart. And Dana would be even redder and angrier because he loses a Conor fight

Actually this sounds pretty cool

jesus just fire Conor already , idk if Max would fight at 170 or if they do a catch weight

Back