Is Khabib a TRUE fighter?

no he is not a fighter.

he retired to play with farm animals.

I'm sure you understand the warrior spirit more than a guy who stepped in a cage for a living. Moron.

A real fighter does not keep his promises?
Learn something new everyday!
Oh, wait, it's a keyboard warrior's set of rules...
Khabib sounds like a 10 year old not being allowed to play outside by mummy

Most of us get 2 weeks off and then are expected to go back to work after a family death.

Its all part of growing up.

[QUOTE="notafighter86, post: 162688256, member: 168763"i]Khabib fought for legacy - I'd argue that more a fighter than someone that does it for big paydays.[/QUOTE]

While I don't disagree with your sentiment, if we're being technical, that'd make him more of a warrior/conqueror or something more along hte lines of a classical figure from Viking Sagas, or the Iliad. You know tales of great deeds that lead to a legacy.
I might be just quibbling over semantics, but I'd say someone like Donald Cerrone is the fighter because he'd fight 10 times a year if they'd let him. Once again, could just be semantics here; but a guy like Cerrone just wants to scrap, and isn't so concerned about a well crafted legacy of total supremacy.
Conor's a business man who's good at KOing people; and doing so extremely (for the most part) effectively. He seems to care about being the best so that he can make money. It seems like he fights in order to raise his public profile and raise capital for a new business venture; be it cars, whisky, sports management, etc...

But again, maybe I'm just quibbling.

No, he's an art teacher at the unniversity of dagestan

"Ok, you take the paint brush, dip in paint and smash it on canvas... All I want you to do is smash it... No not like alchokolic guy, this is #1 bull shit... I don't like this."

Khabib sounds like a 10 year old not being allowed to play outside by mummy

Most of us get 2 weeks off and then are expected to go back to work after a family death.

Its all part of growing up.

He's a wealthy private contractor and has no contractual agreements to fight. He's not "most of us."

Are we using "true fighter" as code for POS who needs to get his dick kicked in for several years before being forced at accept retirement? Doesn't sound like a good thing, it sounds like Charlie Zelenoff.

Khabib retiring at his peak at the age of 32 while guys like Penn and Anderson refuse to hang it up in their 40's while having no business being in there...? Before you bring up his parents, this was the plan from the very beginning for Khabib. 30-0 and Lightweight champion was the end-goal regardless.

Obviously a once in a lifetime fighter, but not a FIGHTER FIGHTER. He was bred for this. Compare him to a guy like McGregor who is also 32 years of age, has it all, has done it all, yet he's still on the grind looking to go on another legendary run. McGregor CHOSE this life. We're talking about a NATURAL-BORN fighter vs a bred fighter.

That isn't necessarily a bad thing, but I feel like possessing the fighter spirit is under-acknowledged and underappreciated compared to the accolades. McGregor accepting his toughest match-up after becoming rich rich is deserving of more praise than Khabib's submission victory and a prime example of what a born fighter looks like.
You make your comment from a position of "knowledge" rather than a position of "opinion"....there is no basis for you having knowledge of who and what a bred fighter is versus natural born versus choosing versus whatever point it is you're trying to make...none of it is mutually exclusive of the others. Your opinions are not facts.

Turns out hanging around way past your prime to get dummied over and over again, is actually a poor decision. Ask bj and silva.

What's a true fighter?

I think Khabib is a more true fighter than all the boring ass counter point fighters in the UFC that need their opponents to be recklessly aggressive in order for the fight to be entertaining.

You have thousands of parents who are good coaches wanting to get their kid to become world champ. It almost never happens. The chances are miniscule. So the pupil needs to be the real deal both physically and mentally to achieve a record that's really never been done before.

Being a real fighter comes down to if they have what it takes deep inside. Either they have it or they don't. A good coaching parent can help, but it is always about what the student is made of.

Khabib does not stray from the objective. Ever. He shows no signs of weakness. That is the "real" part.

Most attempts at defining what a "true" anything are obnoxious, and this OP fits right in with that.

That being said...I'd agree that Khabib doesn't seem to be the type who is inwardly compelled to fight. Who'd be doing it whether or not there was a paycheck or accolade involved. You call that "warrior spirit"; I call it an insurance that we won't be reading about an arrest at a Dagestani nightclub (if they even have those) in the future.

Personally I value the fighting achievements of those not driven to fight more, not less. Because it's a deliberate choice, not simply the overflow and channeling of somebody's temper.

Back