Is Khabib a TRUE fighter?

He could also be smart and know when the best time to retire is. He could either be 29-0 for the rest of history or he could keep going and be 29-5 and then all of his prestige is gone. It sucks for the fans but some fighters should retire before tumbling back down the mountain.

Khabib retiring at his peak at the age of 32 while guys like Penn and Anderson refuse to hang it up in their 40's while having no business being in there...? Before you bring up his parents, this was the plan from the very beginning for Khabib. 30-0 and Lightweight champion was the end-goal regardless.

Obviously a once in a lifetime fighter, but not a FIGHTER FIGHTER. He was bred for this. Compare him to a guy like McGregor who is also 32 years of age, has it all, has done it all, yet he's still on the grind looking to go on another legendary run. McGregor CHOSE this life. We're talking about a NATURAL-BORN fighter vs a bred fighter.

That isn't necessarily a bad thing, but I feel like possessing the fighter spirit is under-acknowledged and underappreciated compared to the accolades. McGregor accepting his toughest match-up after becoming rich rich is deserving of more praise than Khabib's submission victory and a prime example of what a born fighter looks like.

"yet he's still on the grind looking to go on another legendary run. McGregor CHOSE this life. We're talking about a NATURAL-BORN fighter vs a bred fighter."
How many times has Conor "retired"?
McGregor also CHOSE to leave it, hold it up, and party instead....so...? Not to mention he didn't choose "this" life- he was, has been, and will continue to chase money (poor guy), whether through fighter, or as he's shown, through business ventures, whiskey, circus fights, and a flailing personal life and mental health.
The big difference between Conor and Khabib is that the latter has humility, knew when to quit, and their life doesn't revolve solely around money.

Reactions: G10
You must have serious CTE, otherwise you lack dedication, and aren't a "true" MMA fighter.

Khabib is a without question, a true fighter. With that being said, he absolutely retired way too early. Fighters like DJ, Anderson, Jones and GSP have a ton of successful title defenses on the books and yet, Khabib didn't even break the record for light weight title defenses. I respect Khabib's decision to retire and I certainly don't think less of him for it, but there's no way that I see his career within the same light as the fighters with 3-4 times more title defenses.

I think the chances of someone who isn't a true fighter becoming the world champion at fighting are pretty slim tbh.

If Khabib isn't a true fighter yet is the best fighter in the world then that's pretty embarrassing for all the true fighters out there who can't come close to beating him.

It all comes down to what your definition of a "true fighter" is. Is a fighter just someone who fights for a living? In that case, Khabib was a fighter, and now he's not. Or is being a fighter deeper, like someone who just loves fighting? Someone who fights on no matter what? Etc, etc.

To me, a "true fighter" is a fighter that does it--at least partly--for love of the sport and competition. That takes different shapes. In that case, yes, Khabib was a true fighter, and I think Conor is a true fighter, too. If either of them were not, they wouldn't have gone as far as they did.

That isn't necessarily a bad thing, but I feel like possessing the fighter spirit is under-acknowledged and underappreciated compared to the accolades. McGregor accepting his toughest match-up after becoming rich rich is deserving of more praise than Khabib's submission victory and a prime example of what a born fighter looks like.
Born fighters fight. Conor doesn't.

Khabib retiring at his peak at the age of 32 while guys like Penn and Anderson refuse to hang it up in their 40's while having no business being in there...? Before you bring up his parents, this was the plan from the very beginning for Khabib. 30-0 and Lightweight champion was the end-goal regardless.

Obviously a once in a lifetime fighter, but not a FIGHTER FIGHTER. He was bred for this. Compare him to a guy like McGregor who is also 32 years of age, has it all, has done it all, yet he's still on the grind looking to go on another legendary run. McGregor CHOSE this life. We're talking about a NATURAL-BORN fighter vs a bred fighter.

Why don't you go in the ring with him and find out...What is a "Fighther Fighter"?!!

A true fighter doesn't turn his back in the later rounds and literally run away from his opponent. Remind you of anyone?

Lol sherdog logic

fighter retires early - “omg he’s a quitter”

fighter fights way past his prime - “omg retire already”

Just let them do their thing. It’s their lives and profession and they don’t owe us anything.

Oh yea conor's been grinding so hard for the last few years.

Too transparent TS...

Back