Is it smart to learn 10th planet techniques first?

I had no fucking idea it was a 10th Planet thing until quite some time after I had learn't it. I read somewhere (probably on Sherdick) that the 10th planet 'lockdown' was stupid and whatnot, so I downloaded a pdf of Eddie's book and discovered this was the same position I had been learning for years! And the amount of black belt legends I have seen use and teach this position....Must be useless right? lol. I think It might be a Carlson Gracie lineage thing, Im not quite sure on that though.
people for some reason think there are only a few correct ways to get on your side with an underhook in half guard. to each their own

people for some reason think there are only a few ways to get on your side with an underhook in half guard. to each their own

Indeed. I wouldn't worry about it though, I have found it is more likely to find an American Jiujitsu nerds/wannabe Brazilian hate the 10th Planet stuff more than actual Brazilians. I think they think its trendy or something.

Sure I don't use rubber guard and my instructor would kill me if I did, but that doesn't mean we march around or sit on the internet bombarding 10th planet guys with hate. We let our Jiujitsu do the talking >;).

Here's my personal opinion on this issue. One of the biggest problems beginners have from the bottom in BJJ is adequate hip movement. You see it all the time and it's the easiest way to distinguish a novice, intermediate or advanced grappler. There are tons of drills and concepts developed to teach and ingrain the principles of proper hip movement from the bottom. However, for whatever reason, it still takes time for guys to get the hang of it.

The fact of the matter is that 10th planet positions such as rubber guard and lockdown are harder to move in than traditional positions. Eddie's come up with good ways to move in these positions but it's harder for beginners to pick up on this. So... you essentially have all of these novice grapplers (who have never gotten the hang of basic movement in the guard) attempting these unique positions where they are unable to move properly to play the game.

pretty much this - you just have to watch that Ari bolden competition video - the guy had no hip movement whatsoever...

Last edited:
When I trained at Brazilian Top Team in Rio they were teaching the 'lockdown' to beginners as the first half guard to learn. But whatever...

Wow, now that is very interesting. Kind of rediculous to try and talk down that club for using lockdown. I can't believe the amount of venom that comes out when discussing EB or anything he teaches. It's kind of funny. People do seem to want to throw out the baby with the bathwater. It's good to see more open minded people posting in f12.

if you're new, and you try rubber guard during live rolling, you're allowing me to do a move that i like to call: free pass to side control.

if you're new, learn the basics. as someone mentioned earlier, learn to move your hips, learn the proper way to retain, or recompose guard using hip movement and technique. pay attention to shrimping forwards and backwards. if you have abnormally flexible legs and knees, and you have a good grasp of what it means to play closed, open, and half guard after months of training, even years, then by all means go ahead and learn whatever you want including what eddie bravo teaches. just don't start with it.

btw here's a reason to not start with something like the lockdown as a beginner. i've never liked lockdown because you can't play a good half guard game with it imo. it does 1 of 2 things. 1) the position itself forces you on your back. this at least for me go against the basic tenets of playing a good bottom half guard game: don't go on your back. play on your side. bottom half at least for me allows for many ways to not only recompose guard, but many great sweeps and subs, all of which require being on your side and all of which are nullified by going for the lockdown. 2) it makes you play a defensive game where you are just delaying the inevitable pass. when i play bottom half, i'm going with either a knee shield or playing half tucked into a ball so that i can transition into deep half, but i'm not going on my back.

anyway, i'm not against 10th planet, i just think that you can't live and die with it. it needs to be implemented as part of a larger and move diverse game. i personally am a big fan of denny prokopos, a 10th planet black belt who has a school in sf. to each his own!

I dunno. I'm not a big fan of lockdown, it's probably a better idea to learn how get back to guard or sweep from half guard rather than ld.
I only use lockdown as a latch ditch effort when someone has flattened me out, and I need some time to think or work on getting my free knee back in between my opponent and I. When I use lockdown, I know that I've made a mistake and gotten myself into a position that I should have avoided in the first place. To be fair, there's actually a pretty sweet sweep and a technique to get unflattened my instructor showed from lockdown.
Oh, and I feel BJJ basics are better to learn first.

The only reason edgar and his non-system are catching so much shit, is because of the shit he spews himself, promoting his stuff.

The only reason edgar and his non-system are catching so much shit, is because of the shit he spews himself, promoting his stuff.

You mean Eddie?

But yah, I would agree with that. If he was a more modest guy who was more low key about his trashing of the gi and love for pot, he'd have a lot more fans...but he seems to like to get a rise out of people. He's pretty preachy.

But what really burns my biscuits regarding Eddie is how he's tries to "solidify" jiu-jitsu and force all his students to be pigeonholed into his style. If he just had a sick no gi jiu-jitsu gym, and lots of his students picked up his trademark techniques, that'd be one thing...but he basically tries to program them to use the 10th planet system, zombie style. That's just not jiu-jitsu. You don't shove your game down your students' throats. I don't know any good instructor who does this. Nearly every instructor makes sure that their student has the basics, and then helps the student find their own way after that.

Here's Eddie "Officially" disallowing the London (aka Shawn Williams Guard), in his system:

I see what he means, yes he's got a good counter there. But I'm pretty sure Shawn "Fucking" Williams has seen this counter and knows how to deal with it, just because Eddie found one counter doesn't mean it's obsolete.

While the guy is obviously very creative and brought a real interesting slant to jiu-jitsu that is very cool, he shoots himself in the foot at the same time by trying to push his shit around as the be-all, end-all.

the reason why he wasn't able to get an offense was because his hips were too far under him. becuase there was no foot on the hip. other than that...it's rubber guard...it's ridiculous how you can see the invisible collar posistion and say that's not rubber guard

doesn't mean it's eddie system, but it's definitely rubber guard.

So you are actually saying Roger was using rubber guard; he was just doing it wrong? Lolcopter

The guy has almost gone TMA, tbh. He's got many of the classic symptoms:

1. Set your self up as the guru, and fountain of wisdom: check.

2. Avoid competition or exposing yourself to being proved vulnerable (post Royler: check)

3. Tout your way as the only way: check.

4. Trash others' ways: check.

it goes on...

I didn't mean to Eddie bash, but...yah, I did.

do both learn from 10th planet and another skool so u learn everything.

I had about 6 months of gi training before I acquired Mastering the rubber guard. I liked it alot and used lock down/whip up to get to my side. Old school was one of my favorite sweeps. I also used lockdown to stall and win a match 3-2 with 45 seconds left.

However after seeing Gordo's half guard dvd (then later on Jeff Glover's dvd), it changed my half guard game completely. I started using deep half alot. Then by the time I started practicing dela riva and x guard, lockdown was a distant memory.

Looks like Kenny is the reincarnate of Hayliks, just crushing folks lately, haha.

The whole using lockdown to stall is why I hate the lockdown. Deep half is way more fun. de la riva and x guard are ridiculously fun.

Back