Is it smart to learn 10th planet techniques first?

always best to start with the basics, eddie's knowledge on the basics allows him to implement is rubber guard focused strategy

Here's my personal opinion on this issue. One of the biggest problems beginners have from the bottom in BJJ is adequate hip movement. You see it all the time and it's the easiest way to distinguish a novice, intermediate or advanced grappler. There are tons of drills and concepts developed to teach and ingrain the principles of proper hip movement from the bottom. However, for whatever reason, it still takes time for guys to get the hang of it.

The fact of the matter is that 10th planet positions such as rubber guard and lockdown are harder to move in than traditional positions. Eddie's come up with good ways to move in these positions but it's harder for beginners to pick up on this. So... you essentially have all of these novice grapplers (who have never gotten the hang of basic movement in the guard) attempting these unique positions where they are unable to move properly to play the game.

I kinda figured that's we were discussing the people that get the stuff out of the books and dvd's or whathever the heck else is out there over a legitimate school. I'm kinda neutral on the whole EB system, but I would make sure I had a strong set of basics before even trying to implement Bravo's system.

I just don't like getting complimented on my "jiu claw", because I don't have any idea what that is. Nor do I like being explained how I did rubber guard wrong because I was going to a high guard. It just jiu jitsu, its not all the 10th Planet system.

I feel the same way. I often go into rubber guard when I feel my closed guard is about to get passed (I'm crazy flexible so even if the week leg gets trapped in butterfly I can still get it out pretty easily). I let go of it once I get to a good position to regain closed guard or a body triangle. I hear stuff like "Get that 10th planet shit out of here" on a regular basis. Very annoying especially since the basic rubber guard position (Mission control?) is the only 10th planet thing I'm familiar with. Even though it isn't 10th planet it's just rubber guard. Very annoying.

Anyway, as for the question that was asked. I pretty much agree with everyone. Learn the basics before you go on to any specific style of game. Once you have the basics down and you put the right amount of training in any style of BJJ should be able to suit you.

Last edited:
To be honest, just learn the basics. The fundamentals are needed to build more advance tools anyway. I think as a REALLY fresh practitioner in jiu jitsu, most people must've tried to use rubber gaurd.

I'm ashamed to say that I have. Not proud of it though. Still kinda fresh though (white belt)

They're nice to know. I much prefer full guard to anything too crazy, but it's nice knowing the lockdown-electric chair when I can't slip back into guard.

he definitely went from mission control -> crack head control

and from mission control -> new york (hand on mat) -> chill dawg -> invisible collar choke

he wasn't just grabbing his foot for an omaplata. whatever he wanted to go to, he was definitely in the posistions that eddie uses in his system

don't know how that can't be rubber guard...

edit: found the match Roger Gracie vs. Alexandre "Xande" Ribeiro (1st) (1 of 2) (flv video) free file download at fliiby.com

dude, that is really reaching saying that is RG.

he grabs his left foot with his right hand in front of the guys face as if to set up a gogo or omoplata.

as has been said, nino has been doing that a long time before eddie.

i didn't see any mission control, no foot on hip, no zombie.

if we are going to call it RG then he really has to be following eddie's system.

I don't understand why your instructor would ban it from his gyms?

If it works for the individual, good for them. I personally don't use it or even know how to apply it correctly. But if something works, it's good grappling. Whether it be BJJ, Sambo, Wrestling, or YoutubeMadSkillzzzzzzzzzz.

I can't speak for him, but from what I understand is that he would rather have people focus on hip movement and the good BJJ, rather than RG.

Meh, I learn both and I throw up Crackhead control every chance I get. Sue me, it gives me time to plan my next move and make someone chill out.

Everyone gets pissy about the Lockdown because newbs use it, they use it for a reason. They find success in it. If your body type allows it, go for it. There's nothing like some guy trying to posture out of your Crackhead Control and then eventually just giving up.

Meh, I learn both and I throw up Crackhead control every chance I get. Sue me, it gives me time to plan my next move and make someone chill out.

Everyone gets pissy about the Lockdown because newbs use it, they use it for a reason. They find success in it. If your body type allows it, go for it. There's nothing like some guy trying to posture out of your Crackhead Control and then eventually just giving up.

And you are what belt with what accomplishments?

I'm speaking from experience. As a noob it's nice to have a couple dominant tricks in your bag. Everyone always has a couple they go to, don't hate the Lockdown and the Rubber Guard just because it's more appealing to some people.

I'm speaking from experience. As a noob it's nice to have a couple dominant tricks in your bag. Everyone always has a couple they go to, don't hate the Lockdown and the Rubber Guard just because it's more appealing to some people.

"Speaking from experience" right next to "as a noob." Self pwn.
You literally have no idea what you are talking about but hey thanks for your input.

I dunno. I'm not a big fan of lockdown, it's probably a better idea to learn how get back to guard or sweep from half guard rather than ld.

Lockdown is a position that has many possible transitions to sweep, get back guard, take the back, etc. I personally started going to a 10'th planet club after having a considerable amount of jits training, and although I do like the z- guard and traditional half guard, for some reason I like lockdown much better. I've become very proficient with the electric chair sweep, and hit it all the time.

Rubber guard, I haven't really played with too much at this point. I personally prefer attacking triangles/ armbars using more classic moves, but I will at times grab mission control to break their posture and threaten with Omos.

Also, 10'th planet teaches some cool mount to back transitions which i've found myself using more and more often.

I had about 6 months of gi training before I acquired Mastering the rubber guard. I liked it alot and used lock down/whip up to get to my side. Old school was one of my favorite sweeps. I also used lockdown to stall and win a match 3-2 with 45 seconds left.

However after seeing Gordo's half guard dvd (then later on Jeff Glover's dvd), it changed my half guard game completely. I started using deep half alot. Then by the time I started practicing dela riva and x guard, lockdown was a distant memory.

Looks like Kenny is the reincarnate of Hayliks, just crushing folks lately, haha.

Haven't seen the Roger video, but if its just him grabbing his ankle from a high guard, its not rubber guard. Dudes like Nino and even Rickson have done that. As per the OP, one of my instructors was watching a blue belt roll and the blue tried to pull rubberguard and he said "why not work your base guard? why work on gimmicks when your basics aren't good?"

He doesn't even do that, he uses the Shawn Williams guard or whatever you want to call it. That doesn't require knee flexibility and is IMO much better.

dude, that is really reaching saying that is RG.

he grabs his left foot with his right hand in front of the guys face as if to set up a gogo or omoplata.

as has been said, nino has been doing that a long time before eddie.

i didn't see any mission control, no foot on hip, no zombie.

if we are going to call it RG then he really has to be following eddie's system.

the reason why he wasn't able to get an offense was because his hips were too far under him. becuase there was no foot on the hip. other than that...it's rubber guard...it's ridiculous how you can see the invisible collar posistion and say that's not rubber guard

doesn't mean it's eddie system, but it's definitely rubber guard.

if you put someone in a position with their hand on the hand, legs crossed, forearm blocking the neck. it's the invisible collar in eddie's system. so unless yall know of a name for this position other than invisible collar, roger is using the invisible collar...

seriously, yall should be arguing how it was rubber guard and that it clearly didn't work. roger is clearly using many positions found in mastering the rubber guard.

I know the tenth planet hate and stuff, but the see the positions and disagree that it's not rubber guard is silly. It doesn't mean he was doing something he learned from eddie bravo. he's using a high guard with his hand, that is commonly called rubber guard.

Last edited:

When I trained at Brazilian Top Team in Rio they were teaching the 'lockdown' to beginners as the first half guard to learn. But whatever...

When I trained at Brazilian Top Team in Rio they were teaching the 'lockdown' to beginners as the first half guard to learn. But whatever...

seriously?

that's really, really unexpected

I guess they just want them to be prepared for any pot smoking tenth planet douchebags from america :D

seriously?

that's really, really unexpected

I guess they just want them to be prepared for any pot smoking tenth planet douchebags from america :D

I had no fucking idea it was a 10th Planet thing until quite some time after I had learn't it. I read somewhere (probably on Sherdick) that the 10th planet 'lockdown' was stupid and whatnot, so I downloaded a pdf of Eddie's book and discovered this was the same position I had been learning for years! And the amount of black belt legends I have seen use and teach this position....Must be useless right? lol. I think It might be a Carlson Gracie lineage thing, Im not quite sure on that though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back