Is it smart to learn 10th planet techniques first?

Well people here are sensitive when it comes to 10th planet pjj for good reason

1.) Misconceptions that weed somehow helps BJJ training.
2.) Brandon Quick and Ari Bolden.
3.) Stirs up the gi vs no gi argument.
4.) White belts at bjj schools read Bravo's books and become obsessed with unlocking the secrets in print rather than focusing on what their own instructors are trying to teach them.

At the same time Perfect Balance, you are quite correct in that people start making all sorts of assumptions about actual training at a 10th planet school (note all the above has nothing to do with 10th planet academies themselves), which from what I understand is not limited to what Bravo's books show.
My instructor Gerald hates weed and doesn't smoke . In fact I think he hates it whenever anyone comes in stone. He exposes them in front of the class and even has gone far enough to say don't come back. It's interesting too because I live in oregon and just about everyone smokes. With the exception of the athletes and serious competitiors. So, once again Eddie Bravo does not represent the whole of 10th planet or do you guys assume that all people who train. Oh and on your other note I regularly talk shit to Ari who has made it a point to get me kicked from my gym and I don't care because there's half a dozen places to train where I'm at. There are guys that do gi at my gym to such as myself who have come from Gi backgrounds or wrestling.

Oh and on your other note I regularly talk shit to Ari who has made it a point to get me kicked from my gym and I don't care because there's half a dozen places to train where I'm at. There are guys that do gi at my gym to such as myself who have come from Gi backgrounds or wrestling.

that is pretty sad.

Just curious, what school do you train that that produces adcc & mundials champions? Last I saw 10th planet in competition was the 10th Planet Moon from Delaware did well at one of the NAGA events, I know at least one of them got gold.

Btw, I am not affiliated with 10th planet in anyway. I just like how they try to think outside the box. It is true it's no substitute for solid fundamentals, and I doubt any actually 10th Planet member will argue that. But for every gimmick move they come up with like the Turkey Wrap, they come up with something new an inventive. I know the 10th Planet Vaporizer Lock has become one of my bread and butter submissions.

But for every gimmick move they come up with like the Turkey Wrap, they come up with something new an inventive.

But for every gimmick move they come up with like the Turkey Wrap

they came up with every gimmick move like the Turkey Wrap

the Turkey came up with every gimmick move

:icon_twis .

4.) White belts at bjj schools read Bravo's books and become obsessed with unlocking the secrets in print rather than focusing on what their own instructors are trying to teach them.

I have seen this first hand and I totally agree. It's not bad to learn the techniques but I see some of the people I train with that just started focusing too much on rubber guard and other techniques they learned from the book and when rolling, don't use the stuff they are learning from their instructor. Actually, sometimes my instructor tells them NO RUBBER GUARD until you they better at the basics.

seriously.

wtf kind of bitch move is that??

People from other 10th affiliation openly went up to Ari and told him how they felt about him (straight in his face).

I just had no idea he will get them kicked out of their own school!

Not surprised somehow!

People from other 10th affiliation openly went up to Ari and told him how they felt about him (straight in his face).

Not surprised somehow!

I am interested in this story, please expand, or link me if you have before. Ari is the submissions 101 guy right?

I am interested in this story, please expand, or link me if you have before. Ari is the submissions 101 guy right?

you gonna have to ask perfectbalance.

But I read somewhere that one person asked Ari why he keep showing crap stuff on youtube.

Ari replied that it is up to each individual to make up their own mind. He leaves it up to his students to decide what works and what does not.

If you want good specialized No-Gi, watch Ryan Hall, Marcelo (series 1 if you're new) & Pablo Popovitch's upcoming set

They...actually...win :) (o and so do their moves)

Not surprised somehow!

ooh wow.

he should have just stood up for himself, say he's learned from the experience and just try to move on. if he advocated and/or politicked to have them kicked out of their school, that would the opposite of cool.

There's not much too tell just me talking shit as I always do. He sent me an email asking about what gym I trained at and why I would disrespect his training. I sent back a reply saying that I trained at a 10th planet school and his videos makes people think he's a black belt and it looks bad for him and everyone else. He sent back a reply something to the effect of us training in the same system and what I had to say was not needed and in effect was hurting 10th planet gyms. He said he would talk to my instructor and have me kicked out. I personally didn't care, but at the moment I was mad when I wrote the emails because he basically bastardizes the system of jiu jitsu and anytime he wanted to come to my school and get his ass kicked by a 145 pounder he could. I still think I would work him over, but that's just me running my mouth. I also think it was jealousy too because he got his purple belt and he doesn't compete. Even when I don't train seriously I compete because I love the sport. I deserve my purple belt because I bet 75% of the people I compete with not because I put up videos of other peoples techniques and claim to be a master at it. So, just like most the people on sherdog nothing serious just shit talking.

If you want good specialized No-Gi, watch Ryan Hall, Marcelo (series 1 if you're new) & Pablo Popovitch's upcoming set

They...actually...win :) (o and so do their moves)

This guy is correct and if you want to beat anyone from a 10th planet school. Even though there not all the same. Watch Leo Viera's videos and all the guys above I also include Andre Galvao and Jacare. you'll posture out of there pseudo rubber guard and pass effortlessly. I personally like Leo's single leg pass where you pull the leg and go knee on belly or I do the knee slice from half guard both work well, but the knee slice puts you in risk of getting your back taken or bringing it back to stand up.

Personally I don't like the rubber guard (which I consider synonymous with 10th PJJ). My instructor has basically banned it from his gyms. People do use it occasionally but it is frowned upon.

Personally I don't like the rubber guard (which I consider synonymous with 10th PJJ). My instructor has basically banned it from his gyms. People do use it occasionally but it is frowned upon.

Not to be redundent my style has always been take what is needed reject what is useless and make what is your own. So, I use a rubber guard that is effective for my short legs which means I only pull my leg up from a half guard rubbe guard or I will bait it with a kimura from the other side and get them to pull forward on me then I try to switch to a rubber guard/ high guard. Works probably 25% of the time an I rarely get anything, but a omoplata. Rubber guard is effective with flexiblity, but wrestler's and smart guys don't put there hands on the mat and they don't let people get a overhook. Neverless guys when I get caught at my gym its from footlocks, so they train just about everything and even some of the whitebelts know positions like 50/50 and knee bar toehold transitions.

What kind of gym would allow this hottentottery? And from a canadian. I've had aboot enough of this.

Not to be redundent my style has always been take what is needed reject what is useless and make what is your own. So, I use a rubber guard that is effective for my short legs which means I only pull my leg up from a half guard rubbe guard or I will bait it with a kimura from the other side and get them to pull forward on me then I try to switch to a rubber guard/ high guard. Works probably 25% of the time an I rarely get anything, but a omoplata. Rubber guard is effective with flexiblity, but wrestler's and smart guys don't put there hands on the mat and they don't let people get a overhook. Neverless guys when I get caught at my gym its from footlocks, so they train just about everything and even some of the whitebelts know positions like 50/50 and knee bar toehold transitions.

I have short legs too, but since I work for flexiblity and correct angle inside guard, im able to attack with the rubber guard.

you're definitely right about the hand on the mat, but still, whenever I sense the hand on the mat I always grab an overhook or a free new york.

Personally I hate mission control because it's not a very strong posistion.

the biggest problem whenever people "try" rubber guard is flexiblity.

stephen kesting once said "being able to touch your foot to your face is probably the minimum amount of flexiblity required. if you can put your foot behind your head then you may be able to make your opponent's life miserable from your back using the rubber guard"

the other problem is that white belts don't know how to actually break someone's posture and keep it broken while moving their hips to the side to get the correct angle for rubber guard. two incredibly basic things that white belts NEED to know to use rubber guard, but obviously don't know because they are too busy trying rubber guard from shitty angles and no foot on the hip.

Last edited:
Interesting because I happen to train at a 10th planet school and it's full of wrestlers. There is no such thing as rubber guard at my gym. Wrestler's posture and break it or like myself use Leo Viera style passing. I think people get mixed up when they think about 10th planet. Eddie Bravo is the only real rubber guard influence. In the 4 months I have been training there. I have only had rubber guard applied on my once to a omoplata which I escaped without giving up position for the sweep. The reason I train there is because my particular gym focuses on footlocks which I will be expected to learn for Adv Division. Never been heel hooked at my other Gracie style gym, but I've been heel hooked by every mediocre guy who couldn't pass my guard. You guys take 10th planet stuff way too seriously. To each there own oh by the way I pull half guard or go straight to half guard from butterflys or open and I would stomp your shit with my old school sweep or deep half. Anyway on another note 10th planet is huge on the D'arce and especially from half guard or deep half.

The 10th planet I'm referring to is pretty new in my area. I won't say where. But yeah. As soon as the guy ended up on bottom he went straight to lockdown and tried to sweep when he coulda had full guard. I was just thinking that was the stupidest thing ever. THe other guy stifled everything and dominated.

This was in the beginner and advanced divisions. It was the same exact thing.

roger gracie used rubber guard against xande.

can you tell me which match this is?

someone else said this is bullshit, and i want to see for myself.

i could see the lockdown being used to keep someone really trapped, but i do not think it would or should be taught as like a cornerstone of half guard (for lack of a better term).

can you tell me which match this is?

someone else said this is bullshit, and i want to see for myself.

i could see the lockdown being used to keep someone really trapped, but i do not think it would or should be taught as like a cornerstone of half guard (for lack of a better term).

I believe it was adcc 2005. don't quote me on the year. actually i think it was 2003...

the video used to be on youtube but was removed

MMAHead.com • View topic - Roger using Rubber-Guard-ish Stuff...

Roger Gracie working Rubber Guard | LOCKFLOW.COM

lol @ Roger Gracie using rubber guard.... - Page 2 - CageWarriors Forum

a lot of people even discredit the rubber guard by saying "even roger couldn't submit someone with it"

if anything the fact that roger believed in rubber guard enough to not only use in comeptition, but againt xande, proves it's not "fundamentally wrong"....

you might be able to find the match on Grappling-Core.com - Grappling Videos, Grappling Gifs. but i'm not sure

Last edited:
Back