Is it possible to gain lean muscle and loss fat similtaniously?

B

Brand Nizzel

I thought I just made this thread but I can't seem to find it...so if I did then I have massive ADD and you can delete the other one.

Anyway, is it possible to gain lean muscle, while at the same time shed fat? I know that in order to gain muscle calories in must be greater than calories out...but isn't the opposite true for losing weight? Can I gain lean muscle and shed fat simultaneously via a good program and clean diet?

The reason I am asking is because that is exactly what I want to do, however I do not know if it can be done at the same time. If not than I must restrict my calories to lose the fat first, then up my intake to start putting on lean mass.

Or can it be done at the same time?

Responses much appreciated.

Btw, I'm sorry if this is in the wrong section once again. However I tried to post this 3 times in the D&S section but its not fucking working. A blank page loads and my thread never appears. Idk if this is gonna work...if it does can a mod move, por favor. Thank you very much (I don't have ADD the other thread just didn't fuckin appear)

Yes, it is possible in the short term, especially when if you go from a shitty workout/shitty diet to doing well in both areas. It's not something that will happen to a large degree though, and the more experienced you are the less likely this will happen. It's usually most efficient to focus on one or the other.

Look into 4 sets/ 8 reps type of routines, and research the effects of adrenaline on fat loss. See each working set as a sprint that should last about 20 seconds.
Choose your lifts for their "exertive-ness." I.E: Push Press instead of SOHP, Dynamic Row instead of BOR, Deadlifts and squats are just fine the way they are.
Getting big is a matter of diet.

Yes. Good diet and hard work in the gym.

While it is possible, it is generally considered quite difficult to do (particularly if you are an experienced lifter as donut mentioned)

With that being said, I think that the squats and milk program, or alternatively, a comprehensive olympic program may yield the results you are looking for.

The shock to your system from doing something so taxing forces you to grow, while the intensity of the training tends to strip away fat. Of course, much of this will depend on your diet.

Thanks a lot for the responses guys, tomorrow in the WR I'm planning on doing some hang cleans and maybe burning out on ATG squats...then I'll do some HIT and chin ups and etc. That's basically what I do when I go to the WR anyway...lol.

BTW I'm never buying Biochem's Greens and Whey "Chocolate Covered Peanut Butter" Bars again. They taste too fucking good

When I was new to liftin' and a better diet, I gained muscle and lost fat for awhile (in fact, I stayed at the same weight, if not actually gaining a bit), but it gets to be some seriously diminishing returns after awhile.

So do you guys recommend that I just stick to my original plan of just aiming on dropping the excess flab first, then bulking up after?

If you are already in shape, losing fat and gaining lean muscle is not practical. However, if you are out of shape and have a lot of fat and little muscle, you can gain muscle and lose fat at the same time. Eventually you will adapt and need to focus on one or the other.

Nizzel with the kind of tail you're pulling, why change what isn't broken?!?!

If you focus on one or the other, results for that specific one will come faster. So if you're more interested in getting lean at the moment then gear your routine/diet towards that.

Yes it is possible, but I would suggest bulking and then cutting if you're looking to gain some serious weight, but it knida depends on what level of an athlete/lifter you are.

When I started lifting (both times) I dropped 11lbs. and then put them back on in muscle (even first time round when I was a machine using idiot).

Don't know if you are new to lifting though...

Anyway, I still seem to be dropping fat and putting on muscle (overall gaining weight or staying stable), but I bet I'd add muscle and strength (and fat) much faster if I payed more attention to my intake (and could sleep like a normal person).

Hmmm....Damn, I don't know what to do, concentrate on teh muscle gains first or teh weight loss first. I'm gonna have a high protein intake either way...its the calories and carbs that Idk what to intake..

If you are going from doing very little exercise to lifing hard you will probably gain muscle mass and lose fat at the same time.

You should start a serious lifting program. Make sure you eat plenty of protein, fruits, vegatables, whole grains, nuts, etc. Don't start resticting calories or try to eat a shit load yet. After several weeks gauge your progress. If you are getting stonger and looking better continue what you are doing. If you are gaining strength but also more body fat than you want, reduce calories slightly. If you are not getting stronger or putting on muscle mass increase calories slightly. If you are not getting stronger and you are putting on body fat, it might be time to buy a bowflex.

So do you guys recommend that I just stick to my original plan of just aiming on dropping the excess flab first, then bulking up after?

If you're stepping off the couch and into the gym, you can gain muscle and lose fat at the same time, assuming your diet is in order. If you're already in shape, it's a lot more difficult to do both.

During your noob days most certainly. My friend started training with me last fall. A sudden, dramatic shift from his training consisting of only curl-a-thons to fullbody training sessions made him lose fat and gain muscle at the same time. No one that saw him could deny that. However, the change are much more subtle now than before. Keep in mind, though, he doesn't obsess over diet...so taking more charge of your diet could definitely open more doors that would otherwise be closed.

That being said, I believe it is possible to gain muscle and decrease your FAT PERCENTAGE. Yes, you gain fat...But if you're rate of gaining muscle is much higher than the rate you gain fat you will not only get heavier, but you will also look "better" as you do it. The gains are, however, slow.

"Bulk up" on a clean diet. Monitor nutrient/calorie intake. Mega-dose fish oil and BCAA's (BCAA's especially peri-workout).

HIIT in combination with a good lifting program. High protein diet, good complex carbs, good fats. IMO this is the best way to do it.

Back