is it okay to spar hard every sparring session?

Lol at the TS agreed with KS. You got trolled hard.
As for the original question, what's with the need for people to spar hard every session? There's a place for light sparring too. And this is not to mention the damage build up in one fighter's lifetime are mostly come from the gym. Bro, if you are sparring hard like this, you gonna get burn out pretty fast.

As for the original question, what's with the need for people to spar hard every session? There's a place for light sparring too. And this is not to mention the damage build up in one fighter's lifetime are mostly come from the gym. Bro, if you are sparring hard like this, you gonna get burn out pretty fast.

Thanks, I understand hard sparring takes a toll on somebody's body, but in my case I have yet to get a
headache or any pain in my head after sparring. I guess I could ask my coach for light sparring every once in a while

^^^ YA, TSF flammed me when I joined for not saying what TS said, in his mind, his choosen strategy.... it's a workable one....

^^^ Now you've come along an pronounced me a troll..... how very original---NOT.

^^^ Well, I'll let you off being the 'newbie' you are, ha ha....

^^^ You do point out the value of 'new blood' to an incestuous group.... so props to you for that small contribution,,,, :D

KarateStylist

Thanks, I understand hard sparring takes a toll on somebody's body, but in my case I have yet to get a
headache or any pain in my head after sparring. I guess I could ask my coach for light sparring every once in a while

All and all, I'm very happy with the purchase and happy I don't get headaches after heavy sparring anymore. I'm also keeping an eye on ebay, I've been wanting to buy an fg 5000, I'll give a review on that if I get the chance to buy it.

Thanks.

^ You said there that you used to get headaches after sparring.

Eh, it doesnt have to physically show or feel on the body to registers it as damage. Beside, it is better to prevent further damages in training by having a smarter training schedule than just hard sparring with a Winning headgear. I'd place the ideal around having 2 or 3 lighting sparring sessions with 1 or 2 medium to hard sparring session per week. Sparring should have an aim to improve your skills, not just to beat the other guy to a bloody mess. But with you since you having amateur fights every week or so, treat that as hard sparring. The other times do light to medium sparring to cultivate your techniques. That should make things easier and much more managable.

"Quote:
Originally Posted by SkribbLe

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkribbLe

All and all, I'm very happy with the purchase and happy I don't get headaches after heavy sparring anymore. I'm also keeping an eye on ebay, I've been wanting to buy an fg 5000, I'll give a review on that if I get the chance to buy it.

Thanks.

^ You said there that you used to get headaches after sparring. "

This is just getting silly now..

Eh, it doesnt have to physically show or feel on the body to registers it as damage. Beside, it is better to prevent further damages in training by having a smarter training schedule than just hard sparring with a Winning headgear. I'd place the ideal around having 2 or 3 lighting sparring sessions with 1 or 2 medium to hard sparring session per week. Sparring should have an aim to improve your skills, not just to beat the other guy to a bloody mess. But with you since you having amateur fights every week or so, treat that as hard sparring. The other times do light to medium sparring to cultivate your techniques. That should make things easier and much more managable.

Not if you're a gym hero, Nuke!! Gym Heros never lose because every fight they enter is a fight for their pride and their family's honor; but they don't compete in actual bouts ever because they're just that good that they have nothing to prove.

"is it okay to spar hard every sparring session?"

The short answer is no.

If you try to make every sparring session into a championship title fight then you're not going to be able to clock enough hours in the ring to actually learn how to fight before you tear your body (and your training partners) to pieces.

Spar at a pace you can sustain without killing each other, and log 100 hours a month in the ring. Then once a week or so, pick up the pace. Any more than that and you'll most likely be sparring one or two rounds a week tops, ad it'll show come come fight time when all you've learned is to be a punching bag that hits back instead of how to move.

That kind of remind me about an episode of HBO 24/7 about Martinez vs JCC jr, the part where it is specifically mention that Martinez only does around 60 rounds of sparring in training camp per fight, while the rest is for "simulated sparring" and skills training. Seeing how he is 37 and still one of the top P4P by beating contenders in their prime, i think his ideas about training and sparring have merits too.

TS is 15...

Why are we taking anything here seriously?

Why aren't we talking about the awesome over easy fried egg I just made?

If you wiggle the fucker every 15 seconds before flipping I PROMISE you it won't stick to the pan.

Also, lime juice and salt is an amazing fajita marinade, if you cut the steak strips at 45 degree angles to the grain beforehand they'll be less chewy.

??????

hang on, whats wrong with payak?

Did i miss a giant thread where payak was outed as never having fought? I cant beleive it... I dont want to beleive it....

Holy shit you missed a good thread in the K1 and Stand-up forum. Thread is in the archives now...

That kind of remind me about an episode of HBO 24/7 about Martinez vs JCC jr, the part where it is specifically mention that Martinez only does around 60 rounds of sparring in training camp per fight, while the rest is for "simulated sparring" and skills training. Seeing how he is 37 and still one of the top P4P by beating contenders in their prime, i think his ideas about training and sparring have merits too.

He probably spars less now due to his age and all the mileage he has, not sure if these has been his sparring habit his whole career but I would think him sparring less is due to his age and also stage in his career.

He probably spars less now due to his age and all the mileage he has, not sure if these has been his sparring habit his whole career but I would think him sparring less is due to his age and also stage in his career.

IMO look at his milage it isnt that bad as it sound. He didnt have to get through the grind of amateur boxing from a young age as many people have to. He is 37 but still fight like he is 27 with that kind of speed and slickness. Also, he did specifically mentioned that it wasnt because of his age or mileage that made him to spar that little. IIRC it is something he have done throughout his career.

IMO look at his milage it isnt that bad as it sound. He didnt have to get through the grind of amateur boxing from a young age as many people have to. He is 37 but still fight like he is 27 with that kind of speed and slickness. Also, he did specifically mentioned that it wasnt because of his age or mileage that made him to spar that little. IIRC it is something he have done throughout his career.

martinez's training regime is out of the norm. if you can pull it off, great.. but he's a rare breed. one of a kind. very few could replicate his sucess with the way he trains.

the only way to "truly" sharpen your boxing senses is through hard sparring IMO. Bernard Hopkins (aged 48) spars 3 days a week during his training camp if i remember correctly. then again, he's also a rare breed...

Eh, not this debate about hard sparring vs light sparring again. There are times and places for everything, but i'm gonna disagree about the only way to "truly" sharpen your skills is through hard sparring. Everything needs proper progressions, including sparring too. Seemed like a lot of people around here like to think and insinuate that hard sparring is the ONLY way to spar :rolleyes:

Calculators were only for 3rd year(and above) college students !

You can imagine though , how frustrated I can get sometimes when some idiot here is having trouble counting my change back from a 5 dollar bill on a 4 dollar charge.

:rolleyes:

but your basic math is stronger than most people.

that's why kids in the US are so poor at math compared to other countries. they get to use calculators at a pretty early age and never reinforce their basic math. first 10 years of my life were outside the US and the math i learned there carried me well into high school. my dad also taught me algebra at home when i was 7-8 years old too. well... he made me learn it...

Eh, not this debate about hard sparring vs light sparring again. There are times and places for everything, but i'm gonna disagree about the only way to "truly" sharpen your skills is through hard sparring. Everything needs proper progressions, including sparring too. Seemed like a lot of people around here like to think and insinuate that hard sparring is the ONLY way to spar :rolleyes:

i didn't say u need hard sparring right now. i do think u need some hard sparring eventually. u've never sparred hard. not even medium hard IMO. but that's a discussion for another thread.

martinez's training regime was built for him. he's been boxing for 19 years. he may not spar a lot now but iam pretty damn sure he sparred often when he was younger (especially during his amateur days).

Back