Is Framerate a big deal to you in video games?

What is more important to you

• Total voters
Which you can do without compromise now.

Everything is a compromise when it comes to game development. Especially on consoles where you have finite system power. XBOX and Playstation are the baseline development platforms for AAA games. PC you can buy faster hardware if you want higher FPS.

Everything is a compromise when it comes to game development. Especially on consoles where you have finite system power. XBOX and Playstation are the baseline development platforms for AAA games. PC you can buy faster hardware if you want higher FPS.
Again most of us touting higher fps are on PC, so consoles and how developers work around their limited power is irrelevant. On PC you get to chose the settings yourself to get the most graphically that you can get based on your specs.

I even go beyond just adjusting settings and apply mods to replace textures and enhance lighting. You aren't limited to what the developers give you on PC.

Again most of us touting higher fps are on PC, so consoles and how developers work around their limited power is irrelevant. On PC you get to chose the settings yourself to get the most graphically that you can get based on your specs.

I even go beyond just adjusting settings and apply mods to replace textures and enhance lighting. You aren't limited to what the developers give you on PC.

Yeah I'm talking about consoles. Consoles should stick to 30fps on graphically demanding games, particularly open world games that stream assets in on the fly, so they can get the most out of the system and keep raising the bar for what's possible. If you then want to run it at 60fps on PC thats fine, but if you hold console developers to the 60fps mantra it's going to cause a reduction in graphical quality and the baseline for most AAA games will be lower in terms of their physics and world design in order for the consoles to hit their performance target.

Yeah I'm talking about consoles. Consoles should stick to 30fps on graphically demanding games, particularly open world games that stream assets in on the fly, so they can get the most out of the system and keep raising the bar for what's possible. If you then want to run it at 60fps on PC thats fine, but if you hold console developers to the 60fps mantra it's going to cause a reduction in graphical quality and the baseline for most AAA games will be lower in terms of their physics and world design in order for the consoles to hit their performance target.
Maybe on the prior generation of consoles, but shouldn't be a problem at all with the new generation of consoles.

Yeah I'm talking about consoles.

you are so full of shit.

this is like the 5th revision in a row.

Lol telling me what I want? I put over 1000 hours into GTA V on PC @ 30fps and loved every second of it and had the power to run @ 60+ fps but chose to run @ 30fps. I'm currently playing Forza Horizon 4 on PC @ 30fps and it's one of my favorite gaming experiences of all time.

what console is PC?

Last edited:
Mine? What does the FPS I choose to run on my PC have to do with baseline game development?

Just stop, you're reaching way too much.

'i never said 24 fps' (quoted 24 fps)
'i was talking about movies!' (in a post about games, mentioning open world games and forza)
'i'm talking about consoles!' (mentions PC repeatedly)

if you're trolling, fine. but my trolldar didn't even register a blip.

Maybe on the prior generation of consoles, but shouldn't be a problem at all with the new generation of consoles.

Except clearly it is because Forza Horizon 4 is missing key graphical features that are on the PC *and* Xbox One X versions so that they could hit their 60fps performance target on Xbox Series X.

Whenever you develop a game for a console you have a set amount of power to work with. If you choose to have a 60fps performance target it means you need to render less on screen so your system can hit that target. If you lower the performance target to 30fps it gives your CPU and GPU and RAM and everything literally twice as much time to render whatever it is they need to render, thus enabling you to push more detail, push better draw distances, push higher quality lighting and shading etc...

'i never said 24 fps' (quoted 24 fps)
'i was talking about movies!' (in a post about games, mentioning open world games and forza)
'i'm talking about consoles!' (mentions PC repeatedly)

if you're trolling, fine. but my trolldar didn't even register a blip.

<YeahOKJen>

It all depends on the type of game. 120+ FPS is great but once you get over 80+ FPS I choose resolution every time.

Can’t even play 30 FPS anymore, 60 FPS is the bare minimum I’ll tolerate these days.

Except clearly it is because Forza Horizon 4 is missing key graphical features that are on the PC *and* Xbox One X versions so that they could hit their 60fps performance target on Xbox Series X.

Whenever you develop a game for a console you have a set amount of power to work with. If you choose to have a 60fps performance target it means you need to render less on screen so your system can hit that target. If you lower the performance target to 30fps it gives your CPU and GPU and RAM and everything literally twice as much time to render whatever it is they need to render, thus enabling you to push more detail, push better draw distances, push higher quality lighting and shading etc...
I don't know the limiting details for specific games on console, or care quite frankly. I'm gaming on PC, regardless 60 fps should be EASY on these new consoles. You don't need to give me basic breakdowns of how to utilize your power resources when displaying a game, I'm well aware. I spend time optimizing every single game I play to get the best performance possible on my PC, and that goes beyond just adjusting specs within game menu options I also modify .ini files when applicable.

You don't need to compromise graphic fidelity to get 60 fps in 2020 even at most higher resolutions 2k and 4k.

You don't need to compromise graphic fidelity to get 60 fps in 2020 even at most higher resolutions 2k and 4k.

Again, yes you do. Forza Horizon 4 on XSX proves my point. It's missing graphical features even XB1X had because they didn't put a 30fps mode in and it cant run all the bells and whistles at 60fps.

Again, yes you do. Forza Horizon 4 on XSX proves my point. It's missing graphical features even XB1X had because they didn't put a 30fps mode in and it cant run all the bells and whistles at 60fps.
At what resolution?

This says their is a 30 fps mode, which I assume is because they are forcing 4K. With a pc you could easily drop to 2K completely Maxed out to get 60 fps with all the bells and whistles.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...zon-4s-xbox-one-x-60fps-mode-is-the-real-deal

CPU and GPU of the newly released consoles are already a generation behind. Took nearly two years for that occur last generation of consoles.

For context, the CPU i bought sixteen months ago is better than what the consoles offer. GPU i bought in 2017 is equal to the consoles power. Then when you factor in the hardware performance war AMD has started with Intel/Nvidia. The advancements in these components performance should drastically increase as the years go by. Making the CPU and GPU of the current consoles hardware become dated at a faster rate than previously observed.

CPU and GPU of the newly released consoles are already a generation behind. Took nearly two years for that occur last generation of consoles.

For context, the CPU i bought sixteen months ago is better than what the consoles offer. GPU i bought in 2017 is equal to the consoles power. Then when you factor in the hardware performance war AMD has started with Intel/Nvidia. The advancements in these components performance should drastically increase as the years go by. Making the CPU and GPU of the current consoles hardware become dated at a faster rate than previously observed.
TBH I'm not really interested in getting in a console debate because I don't care and use PC like you for these reasons.

Last console I bought was a PS3.

4K tv's and monitors upscale 1080p and other hd resolutions below 4K quite well but framerate you're stuck with, there's no upscaling of frame rate (and frame doublers and the like that sometimes give the soap opera effect absolutely do not count because they are only doubling already shown frames or adding black frames, they aren't true frames).

Back