Is Framerate a big deal to you in video games?

What is more important to you

• Total voters
Thanks for having no reading comprehension and a complete inability to read the room.

Inability to read the room thats funny.
Maybe go read about game development so you dont embarass yourself in front of everyone next time.

I have a 160hz monitor and I will drop resolution and quality to get 100+fps in most games. Depends though, if I'm playing something like pillars of eternity or whatever it doesn't matter, but for fast paced action games, frame rate is so much more impactful than bumping up shadow quality or whatever.

Both are important to me. It just really comes down to the game. The new Spider-man, I'd rather have a game like that just look as pretty as possible so I'll take the 4K, HDR and raytracing at 30fps. If you somehow could get all of the same visuals AND 60fps or more though, I would take that every time.

30fps and even 60fps is a compromise and limitation of the hardware. If you play a fast paced shooter like DOOM, it wouldn't be the same at 30fps or even 60fps. You need that butter smooth and high frame rate and that's what makes it special. If I'm playing competitively or a FPS, I want the highest frame rate possible. If I'm playing a cinematic game or open world game, I'd rather it look nice than have a high frame rate but if I could have both, there's no way I would choose a lower frame rate intentionally.

Games aren't movies and I see no benefit to a lower frame rate. As mentioned before, it's a hardware limitation and if developers could have all games run at 144fps, they would.

Last edited:
Both are important to me. It just really comes down to the game. The new Spider-man, I'd rather have a game like that just look as pretty as possible so I'll take the 4K, HDR and raytracing at 30fps. If you somehow could get all of the same visuals AND 60fps or more though, I would take that every time.

30fps and even 60fps is a compromise and limitation of the hardware. If you play a fast paced shooter like DOOM, it wouldn't be the same at 30fps or even 60fps. You need that butter smooth and high frame rate and that's what makes it special. If I'm playing competitively or a FPS, I want the highest frame rate possible. If I'm playing a cinematic game or open world game, I'd rather it look nice than have a high frame rate but if I could have both, there's no way I would choose a lower frame rate intentionally.

Games aren't movies and I see no benefit to a lower frame rate. As mentioned before, it's a hardware limitation and if developers could have all games run at 144fps, they would.
Nah. If console rendering power increased 10x next time around they'd still target 60 or even 30 for most games, I'd bet money on it.
Frame rates doesn't show well in marketing materials, lots of fancy shader effects and stuff does.

It’s not a simple question. I like high resolution but at what sacrifice to FPS? I like high frames, but I am not playing at 1080 on anything larger than a laptop

then there is a whole other question: to ultrawide or not ultrawide? I personally love ultrawide

I’m actually quite annoyed with this threads replies. For years I’ve seen console posters making the claim they don’t care about FPS. I’ve seen them argue even not that long ago that they couldn’t tell 30 from 60. Now we have the PS5 and their whole toon has changed. I realize this is because they’ve only recently become educated, but eat your crow. I even seen one in this thread recently say “buttery smooth 60fps”...

A really good friend of mine once said, because of Mythbusters, there's no discernible difference between 30 and 60 fps. And I just said "Dude, MGS2, YOUR FAVOURITE GAME, runs at 60fps. You seriously couldn't tell the difference between that and MGS3?"

Nah. If console rendering power increased 10x next time around they'd still target 60 or even 30 for most games, I'd bet money on it.
Frame rates doesn't show well in marketing materials, lots of fancy shader effects and stuff does.

Thats not why. Guessing consoles do hardware surveys. With the majority of users on TV's at 60hz. If they push past 60fps they'll start experiencing ghosting.

Of course, most tvs not doing high refresh rate is a big factor too.

Do you know how system power works? You have a finite amount. Particularly with consoles. As a developer you can either decide to spend said system power on rendering a higher framerate or making better graphics. My opinion is better graphics are more important particularly on console because it sets a higher baseline. PC gamers than prioritize framerate can then buy a bigger GPU if they need to.

Lol telling me what I want? I put over 1000 hours into GTA V on PC @ 30fps and loved every second of it and had the power to run @ 60+ fps but chose to run @ 30fps. I'm currently playing Forza Horizon 4 on PC @ 30fps and it's one of my favorite gaming experiences of all time.

I definitely LOVE driving around open worlds @ 30fps and XSX made a mistake not including a 30fps quality mode for FH4 because now people playing on that system will NEVER experience what people playing on XB1X or PC experiencing. Features like headlights casting shadows at night. On XB1X headlights do not cast shadows... because they had to have their precious 60fps and developers of this gen are SCARED to even put a 30fps mode in their games because they know young gamers like you will bring out the pitchforks.

Not going to lie depending on the game I will push it so hard that it's at 30fps. Just got a 3080 though so I should be able to get at least 40 now which is fine.

Not going to lie depending on the game I will push it so hard that it's at 30fps. Just got a 3080 though so I should be able to get at least 40 now which is fine.

In the 3rd paragraph you quoted the second time I wrote XB1X I meant to write XSX

Just realized that

My main point is games that run at 30fps on consoles usually are running more advanced tech. Theres a reason GTAV and RDR2 are 30fps games on console - because the tech demands it. Which benefits PC gamers as well, and then with your PC you can run it at as many FPS as you want.

Back