Is Framerate a big deal to you in video games?

What is more important to you

• Total voters
I settled with 1440p 144hz with my 3080. I can run any game on ultra settings and ray tracing with room to spare. 4k isn't worth the premium.

Well the master race circle jerk is in full effect.

Hold up...did you seriously just use the “30 FPS is more cinematic” line? In 2020?

<26>

It's probably because rendering @ 30fps frees up GPU resources to make the graphics look better. Also 30fps is closer to the actual cinematic framerate of 24fps. Not saying I want to game @ 24fps, just saying it's literally closer to cinema.

Competitive genres like FPS, fighting games, etc... definitely benefit from 60fps. But open world games that are trying to create the most immersive world possible should stick to rendering @ 30fps so that we get better graphics/physics and more immersive worlds.

It's probably because rendering @ 30fps frees up GPU resources to make the graphics look better. Also 30fps is closer to the actual cinematic framerate of 24fps. Not saying I want to game @ 24fps, just saying it's literally closer to cinema.

Competitive genres like FPS, fighting games, etc... definitely benefit from 60fps. But open world games that are trying to create the most immersive world possible should stick to rendering @ 30fps so that we get better graphics/physics and more immersive worlds.
You can still get 60 fps with all of those better graphics/physics and immersion in open world games pretty easily with an average graphics card depending on the game. I don't think having choppy movement and being close to cinema is what you should be going for. Most games cut down to 30 fps for cinematic cut scenes anyways, you don't want that when you are exploring a city and driving vehicles though.

I recently got a new TV allowing me to go above 60 fps in Yakuza games and it looks incredible. These games look jank at 30 fps. I'm getting 1440p MAX graphics settings over 100 fps on an old 1060 6GB.

Nope. No excuse with today’s hardware.

Personally, the increased input lag from low frame rates hurts immersion. There's no genre that I prefer lower fps in.

As an illiterate peasant no, I just get on with it... Have often had to turn all my settings to the lowest just to get things to run at all..

It is the dream though to one day have decent rig.

You can still get 60 fps with all of those better graphics/physics and immersion in open world games pretty easily with an average graphics card depending on the game.
Do you know how system power works? You have a finite amount. Particularly with consoles. As a developer you can either decide to spend said system power on rendering a higher framerate or making better graphics. My opinion is better graphics are more important particularly on console because it sets a higher baseline. PC gamers than prioritize framerate can then buy a bigger GPU if they need to.

I don't think having choppy movement and being close to cinema is what you should be going for. Most games cut down to 30 fps for cinematic cut scenes anyways, you don't want that when you are exploring a city and driving vehicles though.

Lol telling me what I want? I put over 1000 hours into GTA V on PC @ 30fps and loved every second of it and had the power to run @ 60+ fps but chose to run @ 30fps. I'm currently playing Forza Horizon 4 on PC @ 30fps and it's one of my favorite gaming experiences of all time.

I definitely LOVE driving around open worlds @ 30fps and XSX made a mistake not including a 30fps quality mode for FH4 because now people playing on that system will NEVER experience what people playing on XB1X or PC experiencing. Features like headlights casting shadows at night. On XB1X headlights do not cast shadows... because they had to have their precious 60fps and developers of this gen are SCARED to even put a 30fps mode in their games because they know young gamers like you will bring out the pitchforks.

Well the master race circle jerk is in full effect.
tenor.gif

. I'm currently playing Forza Horizon 4 on PC @ 30fps and it's one of my favorite gaming experiences of all time.

I don't have a gaming PC, but I played Forza Horizan 4 on my Xbox One X and It also has the option of Graphics and Performance mode, and after playing both I found that I liked the game better with the better graphics at 30fps. I have a newer LG 65" HDR10 tv though, so maybe that has something to do with it.

Do you know how system power works? You have a finite amount. Particularly with consoles. As a developer you can either decide to spend said system power on rendering a higher framerate or making better graphics. My opinion is better graphics are more important particularly on console because it sets a higher baseline. PC gamers than prioritize framerate can then buy a bigger GPU if they need to.

Lol telling me what I want? I put over 1000 hours into GTA V on PC @ 30fps and loved every second of it and had the power to run @ 60+ fps but chose to run @ 30fps. I'm currently playing Forza Horizon 4 on PC @ 30fps and it's one of my favorite gaming experiences of all time.

I definitely LOVE driving around open worlds @ 30fps and XSX made a mistake not including a 30fps quality mode for FH4 because now people playing on that system will NEVER experience what people playing on XB1X or PC experiencing. Features like headlights casting shadows at night. On XB1X headlights do not cast shadows... because they had to have their precious 60fps and developers of this gen are SCARED to even put a 30fps mode in their games because they know young gamers like you will bring out the pitchforks.
<WhatIsThis>

<Huh2>

<DontBelieve1>

to be clear, i can even understand people not understanding a tradeoff beyond 60 fps or so (ie: i can see an argument for this being subjective/eye of the beholder beyond 60, based on whatever factors).

but i can't even fathom how anyone can seriously advocate 24-30 fps. it's like eye cancer.

I'd prefer 60fps/1080p over 30fps/4k. I can't see much difference over 60fps but anything under that i don't like. The difference to me between 1080p and 4k isn't something i really notice either.

I've been gaming on PC for about 15 years now and when i got a PS4 2 years ago and my eyes were assaulted with 30fps again i thought i was having a stroke.

It's simply something i'm accustomed to now.

<WhatIsThis>

<Huh2>

<DontBelieve1>

to be clear, i can even understand people not understanding a tradeoff beyond 60 fps or so (ie: i can see an argument for this being subjective/eye of the beholder beyond 60, based on whatever factors).

but i can't even fathom how anyone can seriously advocate 24-30 fps. it's like eye cancer.

I didn't advocate for 24-30fps. I advocated for 30fps thanks for playing post another meme.

Getting 60 fps MAX graphics settings is EASY in 2020. You must be playing games on a potato if your graphical resources are that limited.

You are certainly entitled to like what you like. People are allowed to have bad taste. To act like 30 fps looks better than 60 fps when you can reach the same graphical fidelity isn't grounded in reality.

That was in reference to movies not video games.

I agree with you.

It sucks that 30fps is going away because it has a more cinematic/weighty feel than 60fps especially on open world games. You can do so much more with the graphics and shading.

4K/60fps eats up too much power.

IME 60fps is good for linear games, level based games where the level is fully loaded before the match/game starts. On open world games that have to stream assets on the fly 30fps allows y ou to get much more out of the hardware.

The FACT that they had to downgrade Forza Horizon 4 to get it running at 60fps on XSX and didnt even inc lude a 30fps quality mode (meaning the game actually looks better on XB1X than XSX) tells me everything I need to know about this upcoming gen

PS - you really should disable the smooth motion on your TV. A hard 24fps is what you want.

<JagsKiddingMe><JagsKiddingMe><JagsKiddingMe><JagsKiddingMe><JagsKiddingMe><JagsKiddingMe><JagsKiddingMe><JagsKiddingMe><JagsKiddingMe><JagsKiddingMe><JagsKiddingMe><JagsKiddingMe>

Yeah I'm talking about the smooth motion feature. I literally said disable smooth motion on your TV. Shows and movies are meant to be viewed at 24 fps.

"PS - you really should disable the smooth motion on your TV. A hard 24fps is what you want."

Back