• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Is Fedor one of the most complete skilled set HW ever?

So is he?

• Total voters
Dan Severn is the HW GOAT, no ones accomplishments and skill level comes close to him
As much as a Dan Severn fan as I am, I have to disagree with this. Yes, he was pretty good but his boxing was terrible.

His striking was sloppy, wouldn’t call him a highly skilled striker

I’ll take cormier or stipe as both more well rounded and highly skilled fighters

Athletes in lower leagues can sometime look like they have the "most complete skill set." However, it means nothing if they don't show it in the higher leagues.

Werdum's striking was top notch IMO but his wrestling is definitely a big knock against him. I just think his clinch made up for Fedor's wrestling. It's been a while since I seen Fedor fight but I remember him getting bullied by Hendo in the clinch and I can't remember him using it at all besides his trips and throws. Werdum was a monster in the clinch and battered Cain and Nelson
Admittedly I forgot how good Werdum was in the clinch until you reminded me. Fedor was also good in the clinch but really hasn't used all the tools in his toolbox in many years. I still highly beg to differ on Werdum's standup. I mean he definitely improved it, but I would never call it top notch.

Athletes in lower leagues can sometime look like they have the "most complete skill set." However, it means nothing if they don't show it in the higher leagues.
Fedor was in the highest league. Too bad you weren't around to see it. PRIDE had most of the talent, especially in HW. A brief study will confirm this.

As much as a Dan Severn fan as I am, I have to disagree with this. Yes, he was pretty good but his boxing was terrible.
Its true he didn't have good hands, but he was damn hard too hit flush, he was probably hit flush about 5 or 6 times in over 125 fights, his striking defense was incredibly high, its striking offense was limited though lol.. but he never actually got beat much on the feet because he was very hard to hit and would end up getting it down

But most of those highlights consists of allowed PED use, where majority of others in this discussion are not.
Fedor was getting tested by WADA-accredited facilities due to his concurrent international sambo career, which is more than the fighters who competed in pre-USADA-UFC can say (they basically had an intelligence test back then).

IMO Fedor's greatness is his speed, flexiblity, aggression. The majority of technique he uses are basic.

IMO Fedor's greatness is his speed, flexiblity, aggression. The majority of technique he uses are basic.
Well, the basics are what wins fights usually, so that doesn't stand in contrast to the OP.

Admittedly I forgot how good Werdum was in the clinch until you reminded me. Fedor was also good in the clinch but really hasn't used all the tools in his toolbox in many years. I still highly beg to differ on Werdum's standup. I mean he definitely improved it, but I would never call it top notch.
I think his fights with Browne, Nelson and Cain he showed high potential and smart offence. He was super athletic in that short time frame and used it well. He got battered by Hunt but that's just how HW goes, nobody can be flawless against all styles at the top at HW, he also held his own with Overeem.

Fedor would maul him standing every single time, throughout their careers because of the styles and Werdum could move slow at times while Fedor was probably the fastest HW.
Not saying he's the better striker but I think he's close (The Stipe fight is a knock but I don't think he trained for that fight)

Fedor was getting tested by WADA-accredited facilities due to his concurrent international sambo career

If you have evidence he tested clean before and after his PRIDE fights, I'd like to see that.

My point remains the same, Fedor was allowed to use as much PEDs as he was willingly to take/able to cycle in time.

The others in this dicussion, Cain, Stipe, ect. Did not have that option

and it's going to have a massive effect on out-put for a heavyweight.

I have zero doubts, for any sport, the ones will allowed PED use, will show more abilities.

Uchimata.gif
13+Fedor+Emelianenko+vs+Heath+Herring_xvid_001.gif

23+Fedor+Emelianenko+vs+Antonio+Rodrigo+Nogueira+III_xvid_003.gif

25+Fedor+Emelianenko+vs+Mirko+Filipovic_xvid_004.gif

23+Fedor+Emelianenko+vs+Antonio+Rodrigo+Nogueira+III_xvid_013.gif

23+Fedor+Emelianenko+vs+Antonio+Rodrigo+Nogueira+III_xvid.gif

15+Fedor+Emelianenko+vs+Egidijus+Valavicius_xvid_006.gif

13+Fedor+Emelianenko+vs+Heath+Herring_xvid.gif

13+Fedor+Emelianenko+vs+Heath+Herring_xvid_001.gif

oie_2315340uCBohnYI.gif

24+Fedor+Emelianenko+vs+Tsuyoshi+Kohsaka+II_xvid.gif

oie_23151745M7s6L5lm.gif

17+Fedor+Emelianenko+vs+Gary+Goodridge_xvid.gif

15+Fedor+Emelianenko+vs+Egidijus+Valavicius_xvid_004.gif

Loooool look at all those cringey takedown attempts

If you have evidence he tested clean before and after his PRIDE fights, I'd like to see that.
Well Fedor definitely tested clean for Affliction Trilogy when Josh Barnett popped and caused the event and organization to crumble.

I think his fights with Browne, Nelson and Cain he showed high potential and smart offence. He was super athletic in that short time frame and used it well. He got battered by Hunt but that's just how HW goes, nobody can be flawless against all styles at the top at HW, he also held his own with Overeem.

Fedor would maul him standing every single time, throughout their careers because of the styles and Werdum could move slow at times while Fedor was probably the fastest HW.
Not saying he's the better striker but I think he's close (The Stipe fight is a knock but I don't think he trained for that fight)

You definitely don't have to convince me of Werdum's overall skillset. Even after he got beat by Miocic, I maintain that he was still the best HW in the world at that time. He was even with Miocic in the standup until he got overzealous, a characteristic not normal for him. I think Werdum would have won the rematch back then. I was also calling his win vs Cain. In fact it was my first MMA bet ever and I made $800 on it.

Last edited:
Well Fedor definitely tested clean for Affliction Trilogy when Josh Barnett popped and caused the event and organization to crumble.

Are you going to attribute that single test to his entire MMA career?

I'm not trying ot discredit Fedor here.

But make this conversation a bit fair. I do think Fedor is the greatest HW.

But his performances cannot be equally compared to Stipe's. If Stipe was allowed PED us, he'd show more too.

And that's not a judgement of Fedor. Those were the rules of combat.

He was able to hold his own on the feet with prime Cro Cop and on the ground with prime Nog. Also had the slickest, most fluid transitions from striking to takedowns and the quickest hands of any HW too.

So yeah, i'd say he was the most complete HW the sport has seen so far.

Back