Is California badly managed?

Yes, I live in Clark County in Las Vegas, NV and the Californian refugees that escaped their home state are changing the demographics and the politics of the entire state. We were so close to having an assault weapons ban and are fighting tooth and nail every time they introduce these California-like legislation. They don't have the numbers to sway... yet.

Just like Colorado and the mag ban.

So, what the fuck exactly happened to California? When did shit start going downhill?

So, what the fuck exactly happened to California? When did shit start going downhill?

Not entirely sure but I moved back after I ETS'd in 2007. I've seen things change dramatically since. I work out in Riverside and it seems that Los Angeles has gotten so bad that people have migrated for housing and work in the San Bernardino area. I know quite a few California natives (myself included) that will be leaving the state for good within the year.

It's honestly somewhat baffling how the state does so well, considering what an abomination it is. I'm sad that I have so much money wrapped up in a California home, as this bunch of fuck-ups shouldn't be trusted with anything.

There's no middle class left here either. The state now consists almost entirely of (a) an urban elite; (b) uneducated laborers; (c) public employee unions; and (d) rural yokels. All of these groups are incentivized to fuck the other groups over, and do so on a regular basis. Social cohesion is negligible at best, which, combined with our bizarre and corrupt governmental system, regularly results in completely insane political programs.

As a bright spot, there is a really high-powered urban elite driving the economy. So despite the horrible government and demographic disasters, we continue to survive.

This is random but I think you're one of the best WR posters so thoughts on how Ahnold did as Governor?

It became a political symbol somehow, and as a result you get all kinds of hackish attacks/apologetics. Basically, it's a middle-of-the-pack state by any meaningful metrics, but much bigger. It's just like Texas--another middle-of-the-pack state by most metrics, but also one that has become a symbol, and thus has hacks exaggerating or hiding its flaws.

The best-run states are the ones in the Northeast; and the worst-run ones are the South.

It became a political symbol somehow, and as a result you get all kinds of hackish attacks/apologetics. Basically, it's a middle-of-the-pack state by any meaningful metrics, but much bigger. It's just like Texas--another middle-of-the-pack state by most metrics, but also one that has become a symbol, and thus has hacks exaggerating or hiding its flaws.

The best-run states are the ones in the Northeast; and the worst-run ones are the South.

I believe this to be true also.

Dunno, but my move to the south will give me much greater opportunity and benefits than California offers.

I wish you well. Enjoy your local government actually treating you like an adult, as opposed to the "nanny-state knows best" mentality you're used to.

I live in the mid-west. I'm just wondering why Jack believes this.

Federal tax receipts and public school performance I believe

any stats for that?

Simply based on the fact that this state was one of the only states that managed to stay in the black through the worst of the "great recession" I would say North Dakota is likely the best managed state in the U.S.

any stats for that?

Simply based on the fact that this state was one of the only states that managed to stay in the black through the worst of the "great recession" I would say North Dakota is likely the best managed state in the U.S.

JVS compared the south and northeast but.

http://www.economist.com/blogs/dailychart/2011/08/americas-fiscal-union
20110806_WOM959_0.gif

http://www.alec.org/publications/report-card-on-american-education/

The Northeast has a few small states, making those states easy to manage like the New England states. NY has the finance of Manhattan propping up that state even when places like Buffalo are kinda depressed almost to Detroit levels. NJ benefits from being close to Manhattan. Both those states have enough tax base to keep itself going even though everyone hates the high taxes and cost of living, they are so used to it, they dont do anything about it. Maryland has the federal gov't supplying a steady employment base. Which really means a good chunk of tax dollars from the rest of the country is helping the people in that state.

It is really the wealth of the northeast that keeps it afloat, not really good management. In fact, if there are any issues, it gets masked by money thrown at the problem. That wont last forever though. As for the small New England states, there is not much to mismanage.

California has wealth too. They have the tech industry, the movie industry, it has big agriculture, they even drill oil there. They really should be like Texas. I guess California's liberal policies are what has done it in. Whereas Texas has the more conservative southern attitude.

Reports have shown that the government has wasted $18 billion of tax payers money since 2000.

Thats billion, with a B.

Unions and pensions will drive this state into bankruptcy.

California has a population of 38 million (not counting illegal/undocumented immigrants). That comes out to around 33$/person/year. That's actually not that bad.

This is random but I think you're one of the best WR posters so thoughts on how Ahnold did as Governor?

I thought he was fine, and I think brown is fine, and I thought Davis was fine. Governors are not our problem, though they get the attention, and get blamed or praised for economic swings they had nothing to do with. Judiciary is not our problem. Our batshit insane legislature is the problem, combined with brutal special interest lobbies, and our insane public referendum system.

Arnold's biggest accomplishment was to put in place an independent redistricting board, over fierce Dem opposition, to curtail our gerrymandered districts. Finally we have meaningful legislative elections again. Previously it was a race to be as politically extreme as possible.

Now if only our stupid budget approval laws were curtailed, along with our inane referenda, we might have a decent governmental structure in place.

Btw one of our state senators, democrat yee out of SF, just got charged today with massive corruption and attempted international arms dealing to criminal groups in exchange for campaign contributions.

Did I mention that Yee is a fierce advocate for gun control?

Our legislature is chock full of these scumbags.

Btw one of our state senators, democrat yee out of SF, just got charged today with massive corruption and attempted international arms dealing to criminal groups in exchange for campaign contributions.

Did I mention that Yee is a fierce advocate for gun control?

Our legislature is chock full of these scumbags.

aye.

Our senators are garbage too. I find it ridiculous that the republicans haven't been able to find anyone to put up a decent fight against them. I think Californians would vote for the reps if they weren't so strong on the social issues.

California gets a bad wrap because they are such a rich state, that their debt and overspending numbers seem high, but when you compare their debt to their wealth it's much better than most states:

50-states-and-their-debt.png

Back