Media Is Anthony Smith Better Than Jon Jones Anywhere?

• Thread starter Deleted member 545701
  • Start date
I think Jones would probably even find a way to beat him in a lightest skin competition

If he makes this fight even half way interesting on the night I will be really surprised

pjimage.jpg

We're less than 2 months away from Smith vs Jones which is pretty insane.

Jonny Boy barely took damage though so it makes sense. A lot of people are saying this is a complete mismatch and usually I would find an argument against it, but this is one narrative I don't necessarily disagree with.

I'm honestly not sure if Anthony Smith has an advantage anywhere in this fight

When it comes to wrestling, Smith is good offensively, but he got controlled for an entire round against Volkan Oezdemir (who is known as a power striker). He got out classed by DC on the ground
View attachment 503121
View attachment 503123
These are horrible places to be when Jones is the man on top of you. Sure Volkan didn't get the finish and Smith survived, but when Jones is on top of guys he goes into kill mode (like he did vs Gus).

He is still decent when he's the one going for the wrestling. Still not sure if TD attempts like this would get Jones down.
3NoWu.gif

He's got a decent chin, but he is still able to get KO'd with punches & kicks
I can see Jones Smith ending like this
RegalHappyHedgehog-size_restricted.gif

I'm not sure Jones has the power to do something like this though

KO'd stiff

He and Volkan were both gassed out by round 3, and that was one issue Volkan had against DC. Once he ate a few overhand rights he started to gas out and then DC took it to the ground and TKO'd him.

Against guys like Jones and DC, the cardio needs to be championship level. Smith has never been 5 rounds in his UFC career.

The only place where I believe he has a chance, is on the feet
CommonSpiffyLice-size_restricted.gif

CoarseIndolentBullfrog-size_restricted.gif

TinyThunderousAlabamamapturtle-size_restricted.gif

tumblr_pc7kuwKUBg1qbrivdo1_500.gif

giphy.gif

The only issue for Smith is, his reach is only 76 inches (the same reach as Tony Ferguson lol)

That's an insane difference for a guy who is the same height as Jones. If Gus (who is 6 foot 5) with a reach of 79 inches struggled to land on Jones at UFC 232, does Smith really have a chance to land anything clean?

His only advantage here is power, and it's not that much higher than Jones.

Anthony-Smith-696x399.png

win or lose though, Smith has had a heroic come back in his career and he's already won the battle.

He wins in crappy tattoos

His hands might be more loaded. That's all I can come up with.

Technique THROWING them goes to Jon, but raw punches maybe Smith.

Interviewing for office jobs maybe. But he's not better at any aspect of fighting than Jones.

He doesn't. There are times where he fights well going downhill. Jones does that better though, and I doubt he will feel the need to move backwards to feel the fight out. I can't think of anything.

This beats Mendes - McKenzie as far as mismatches go.

Might be worth putting a value bet on Smith if you get like 10-15 times your bet.

Geez. KO power for starters. Better technical boxer but this isn't boxing and he's at an 8 1/2 reach disadvantage. Jon has Yair like hands. If this stayed standing 5 rounds I might bet on Smith. He thrives late. The fact he's in this position with that record at his age means he is a fighter's fighter, and you would be a fool to count a man like him out. Add in kicks, elbows, Tbol and TD's. Yeah it doesn't matter.

No and he doesn’t even have a punchers chance

Yeah he’s a finishing machine but don’t let the old man Rashad and old man shogun Knockouts fool you he doesn’t have hectic one punch KO power
Come on. Everybody good Jones has ever beat was old and washed the fuck up.

He’s a much better puncher and has a lot more power. He’s very experienced too. More heart.

Everybody stop sleeping on my boy Lionheart. He’ll do better than many of Jones opponents.

Wow, 76” reach? Hes a pretty big dude it looks like but that reach will be significant against someone like Bones.

Edit: oh hes better at making MW obviously!

pjimage.jpg

We're less than 2 months away from Smith vs Jones which is pretty insane.

Jonny Boy barely took damage though so it makes sense. A lot of people are saying this is a complete mismatch and usually I would find an argument against it, but this is one narrative I don't necessarily disagree with.

I'm honestly not sure if Anthony Smith has an advantage anywhere in this fight

When it comes to wrestling, Smith is good offensively, but he got controlled for an entire round against Volkan Oezdemir (who is known as a power striker). He got out classed by DC on the ground
View attachment 503121
View attachment 503123
These are horrible places to be when Jones is the man on top of you. Sure Volkan didn't get the finish and Smith survived, but when Jones is on top of guys he goes into kill mode (like he did vs Gus).

He is still decent when he's the one going for the wrestling. Still not sure if TD attempts like this would get Jones down.
3NoWu.gif

He's got a decent chin, but he is still able to get KO'd with punches & kicks
I can see Jones Smith ending like this
RegalHappyHedgehog-size_restricted.gif

I'm not sure Jones has the power to do something like this though

KO'd stiff

He and Volkan were both gassed out by round 3, and that was one issue Volkan had against DC. Once he ate a few overhand rights he started to gas out and then DC took it to the ground and TKO'd him.

Against guys like Jones and DC, the cardio needs to be championship level. Smith has never been 5 rounds in his UFC career.

The only place where I believe he has a chance, is on the feet
CommonSpiffyLice-size_restricted.gif

CoarseIndolentBullfrog-size_restricted.gif

TinyThunderousAlabamamapturtle-size_restricted.gif

tumblr_pc7kuwKUBg1qbrivdo1_500.gif

giphy.gif

The only issue for Smith is, his reach is only 76 inches (the same reach as Tony Ferguson lol)

That's an insane difference for a guy who is the same height as Jones. If Gus (who is 6 foot 5) with a reach of 79 inches struggled to land on Jones at UFC 232, does Smith really have a chance to land anything clean?

His only advantage here is power, and it's not that much higher than Jones.

Anthony-Smith-696x399.png

win or lose though, Smith has had a heroic come back in his career and he's already won the battle.

i bet anthony is better at passing drug tests.

On the feet and on the ground

Are you trolling? he is worse in both areas. Maybe he has more punching power but on his feet he is still behind Jones. On the ground no need to even discuss.

Come on. Everybody good Jones has ever beat was old and washed the fuck up.

He’s a much better puncher and has a lot more power. He’s very experienced too. More heart.

Everybody stop sleeping on my boy Lionheart. He’ll do better than many of Jones opponents.

I think he’s a good fighter, seems like a great person, and deserves this shot at the moment

I do hope I’m wrong and it’s a competitive fight

More power, good snap for that reach. Jons punches can be a little laboured but he's super man

Smith ain't just fighting Jones , he's also fighting USADA , Norvinsky and Dana.

If Smith does win it will be the biggest upset in history of sports bar none.

What a fuckin waste of a title shot cycle. Lhw is so stale right now they have to start picking on middleweight scraps

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back