Media Is Anthony Smith Better Than Jon Jones Anywhere?

• Thread starter Deleted member 545701
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 545701

pjimage.jpg

We're less than 2 months away from Smith vs Jones which is pretty insane.

Jonny Boy barely took damage though so it makes sense. A lot of people are saying this is a complete mismatch and usually I would find an argument against it, but this is one narrative I don't necessarily disagree with.

I'm honestly not sure if Anthony Smith has an advantage anywhere in this fight

When it comes to wrestling, Smith is good offensively, but he got controlled for an entire round against Volkan Oezdemir (who is known as a power striker). He got out classed by DC on the ground
Smith 1.PNG
smith 2.PNG
These are horrible places to be when Jones is the man on top of you. Sure Volkan didn't get the finish and Smith survived, but when Jones is on top of guys he goes into kill mode (like he did vs Gus).

He is still decent when he's the one going for the wrestling. Still not sure if TD attempts like this would get Jones down.
3NoWu.gif

He's got a decent chin, but he is still able to get KO'd with punches & kicks
I can see Jones Smith ending like this
RegalHappyHedgehog-size_restricted.gif

I'm not sure Jones has the power to do something like this though

KO'd stiff

He and Volkan were both gassed out by round 3, and that was one issue Volkan had against DC. Once he ate a few overhand rights he started to gas out and then DC took it to the ground and TKO'd him.

Against guys like Jones and DC, the cardio needs to be championship level. Smith has never been 5 rounds in his UFC career.

The only place where I believe he has a chance, is on the feet
CommonSpiffyLice-size_restricted.gif

CoarseIndolentBullfrog-size_restricted.gif

TinyThunderousAlabamamapturtle-size_restricted.gif

tumblr_pc7kuwKUBg1qbrivdo1_500.gif

giphy.gif

The only issue for Smith is, his reach is only 76 inches (the same reach as Tony Ferguson lol)

That's an insane difference for a guy who is the same height as Jones. If Gus (who is 6 foot 5) with a reach of 79 inches struggled to land on Jones at UFC 232, does Smith really have a chance to land anything clean?

His only advantage here is power, and it's not that much higher than Jones.

Anthony-Smith-696x399.png

win or lose though, Smith has had a heroic come back in his career and he's already won the battle.

Being a clean fighter, that’s about it.

Jones is going to kill him.

More power in his hands, for sure. But he's slower than molasses compared to Jones, so it likely won't matter. Jon is just way too well rounded for him overall, and much faster.

he has more power in his punches on the feet, that's literally it.

Smith hits hard and is really experienced. Wouldn't underestimate him.

As an aside, trashy tattoos are ruining this sport.

tbh, the only thing Smith is better than Jones at is power like @Arm Barbarian already said, but he's so much slower that I don't think Smith's power will have a chance to shine.

but still... WAR SMITH <{JustBleed}><{JustBleed}><{JustBleed}>
if smith bull rushes jones and manages to KO or rock him, i'll fucking drop kick my nan purely out of hype

Any top 10 LHW is better than a Juiced Jones. Jones needs his roids and reach advantage to compete.

Probably driving.
Smith's cardio is garbage. Jones could just oblique kick him for a bit then finish him whenever he wanted.

And it's not like Smith has crazy power where he might get lucky. I've seen worse matchups on paper but this is definitely up there

lol he hasn't won shit dude.

His power is overrated, Jones have fought way more dangerous people, Jones would kill him so easily

tbh, the only thing Smith is better than Jones at is power like @Arm Barbarian already said, but he's so much slower that I don't think Smith's power will have a chance to shine.

but still... WAR SMITH <{JustBleed}><{JustBleed}><{JustBleed}>
if smith bull rushes jones and manages to KO or rock him, i'll fucking drop kick my nan purely out of hype
What is a nan?

Back