Is 35 the cursed aged due to biology or experience?

Definitely body-wear is a huge part of it, but so is fighting style; Volk relies on being fast, lots of movement in/out, his style probably won't really age well. In contrast a slower fighter can do better especially at the higher weights. Guys like Glover and Randy Couture come to mind in that context, neither was a speed-based fighter but used a lot of technique.
Definitely fighting style makes a difference. Someone like Khabib who typically takes little damage could possibly fight at a high level for a long time given he doesn't get any major injuries along the way and stayed at LW. Too bad he retired. You got someone like Max Holloway who's 32 and been through many wars. On the other hand he doesn't spar during training and has yet to be dropped so he may still have some decent mileage left given Gaethje doesn't break him. I think dabbling against LW's will speed up his eventual downfall. Props for testing himself against bigger strong fighters, but it will take its toll a lot quicker. We've seen it happen many times to high profile fighters.

I'm 35 and honestly I'm as big, strong and fast as I've ever been. Putting on muscle is still very easy too. You have to avoid injury and excessive wear and tear. I will say my recovery is absolute shit compared to what it was from 16-24 years old, that's the one thing that isn't there anymore.

Fighting is also very mental as well and technique based. But, just talking about pure athletic ability; things like explosiveness, nervous system, reflexes, healing ability, strength of the heart, etc. I would reckon your son has advantages on you in those areas.

lol at athletic 16-18 year old males not being able to look a 30 year old male in the eye. if anything the difference in energy and presence, on average, is in favor of the 16-18 year old males.

I don't know what your guys experiences are. But where I grew up 16-18 year old males are men and treated as such.

And where did you grow up?

The average, high school sports playing 16 year old "boy" would beat the average 30 year old "crossfit" man in a fight. The 16 year old will be way more physically explosive. If 16 offends you up it to 18. I'll repeat: the average high school varsity athlete, would beat the average 30 year old "in shape gym goer" in a fight; will have way better recovery, way better reflexes, and more natural explosiveness.

For fighters, yeah fighters need to acquire skills. But this is purely physical I am talking about. Let's say fighters started training as little kids like the do in the Caucasus and acquired the skills early. THE physical prime as far as bone structure being mature (yeah there are some late bloomers that take longer but most boys have mature bone structure by the time they are 16 or 17), healing ability, explosiveness, heart strength, nervous system etc will be the ages of 16 to 24. The reason most people here say fighters "peak" in the late twenties or early thirties is because they had to spend their entire early twenties working their way through the ranks before they can finally get to the championship level. most fighters only fight two or three times a year a most. That and the skill development can offset the at first small losses in physical abilities in the mid to late twenties - especially given that most western mma fighters don't start training as kids but instead much later in life.

I know, people don't like to hear this. the mostly thirty or forty something year old men on this board don't like to hear this. but it is fact. And, by the way there is nothing stopint 16, 17 and 18 year old males from putting on a ton of muscle and fast. They just need the proper training regimen and a caloric surplus diet - which being in school tends to make difficult. But there is nothing physical stopping it from happening and happening fast.
Lol, nice “apples to oranges” comparison you have going on there. Why don’t you compare athletes to athletes? Elite 25-30 NBA players would destroy 16-18 old high school boys on the court. Same goes for basically every sport, from track and field to NFL and MMA. And an average 25-30 old man would would absolutely demolish an average high school boy in a fight, so much so that he would have to go jail for it.

From a more scientific point of view. Boys experience rapid bone growth at the age 13-17, but they continue to grow after that. Here’s a chart of bone mass:

5F7A3EEA-9146-48E6-BF4A-646458D20359.jpeg

Our skeleton finishes to develop right before we hit 30. I’ve work as a trainer with teenagers. After their rapid growth at 13-17, it usually takes a year or two for their muscle mass and coordination to catch up to the new frame. So only at 19-20 they really start to look and function like adults. Of course there are exceptions and you can have a fully grown ass man at 16, but you’ll also see a lot of boys who barely started to hit puberty at the same age.

Back