Indiana sheriff says he needs MRAPs cause of Afghan/Iraq vets who turn to crime.

Absolutely not, there aren't armed factions running around in America. I was just pointing out that the government does have an excessive amount of hardware, and that mindset is in the civilian population as well as law enforcement. Using this argument you could say civilians shouldn't own semi automatic rifles because the odds of an average joe ever needing one are almost nonexistent. If that argument doesn't work on civilian ownership of firearms, it sure as shit ain't going to work on the police.

The police and criminals do have semi automatic firearms so why shouldn't civilians. Whereas IEDs are unheard of ...

The police and criminals do have semi automatic firearms so why shouldn't civilians. Whereas IEDs are unheard of ...

IEDs aren't unheard of, they're just not as common.

They are , but the Sheriff specifically stated he envisioned a threat posed by IEDs and military tactics from returning Vets who turn to crime.

Free or not they project an image of a militarized society. This sort of stuff desensitises people and that leads to an even more militarized society.

The Sheriff's an idiot. That's a very unlikely scenario, but we do live in a heavily militarized society as is.

MRAP's for police is more useless and wasteful than the F-35 program.

IEDs aren't unheard of, they're just not as common.

Ok how many Police armored vehicles or cruisers have been destroyed by IEDs ? Either it is Zero or soo low that the Sheriff's rationale is outlandish.

Who cares? As a combat vet myself it was a shitty way of phrasing the need for it but let's be realistic. It will be used in the 4th of July parade and during touch a truck events. The PD of the town that I live in has a humvee and I've only seen it used for patrol purposes when there's 20 inches of snow on the ground. And they took the turret off of it. It's not like they are sitting in front of my house with a 50 cal on top of it.

The IED thing is bunk. But as far as military vets attacking police, it does happen.

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headlines/2011/10/former-marine-charged-in-cops-ambush/
http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/01/11/marine.shooting/index.html?_s=PM:US

Not knocking my own kind, but a lot of the guys in my unit became cops when we got out and they all agree that military (at least Marine Corps) training is far ahead of anything that they learned in the academy.

Last edited:
lol cops.
they are either homicidal psychos who were too scared to join the military because Iraqis and Afganis shoot back at you, so they joined the police where they can kill with impunity, or they are homicidal psychos who didnt get enough killing in the military so they joined the police to keep on killing.
somewhere amongst them there a few good apples...

lol cops.
they are either homicidal psychos who were too scared to join the military because Iraqis and Afganis shoot back at you, so they joined the police where they can kill with impunity, or they are homicidal psychos who didnt get enough killing in the military so they joined the police to keep on killing.

Where did the bad cop touch you?

That'd be funny if so many police weren't so down right awful.

It's funny that people assume all cops are trigger happy murderous individuals. My grandpa sure wasn't. You guys ought to actually talk to police once in awhile. They are people. Of course there are bad ones, but there are over a million police officers in America. Of course some of them are going to fuck up, they're people. I feel the whole "fuck the police" mentality is very juvenile, at best.

It's funny that people assume all cops are trigger happy murderous individuals. My grandpa sure wasn't. You guys ought to actually talk to police once in awhile. They are people. Of course there are bad ones, but there are over a million police officers in America. Of course some of them are going to fuck up, they're people. I feel the whole "fuck the police" mentality is very juvenile, at best.

Well said IMO. One bad cop is one too many, however when you consider the amount of police vs the amount of fuckups by police it's relatively small. And don't tell me in the age where everyone has camera phones and video phones that people don't catch it on camera. People love videotaping police mistakes. And don't get me wrong , if a cop is doing something illegal exposure is a good thing, but normally the youtube videos that you see are only half of the incident.

I live in Chicago and I actually felt kind of bad for some of the Chicago PD during the g4 summit two summers ago. I personally saw multiple people throw bottles of piss and punch cops then when the officers retaliated their buddies started filming and called it police brutality. I think many people would be shocked to learn that the average cop doesn't even care enough about you to fuck with you for no reason.

its not that they're all trigger happy villains. its that they all think because they've been given a badge by the city that they are somehow above everyone else and can treat them like peasants. wanna walk down your own street? "well show me ID so I can randomly run you for warrants and ill let you go."

Surely you dont think that just because your grandpa was a good cop that most are?

I mean you understand that the cop culture back in the early 1900s is differnt than today right?

And the problem isnt that every cop is a murderous villainous arsehole, its that the professional culture today enlists murderous villainous arse holes, and even though they might be a minority, the normal ones are encouraged to support, condone, and cover up their actions.

I mean really, do you think that your grandpa or Barney Fife would have said they needed an MRAP to fight crime?

It's mostly this.

If you work in government, you spend your budget, plus a little bit more, so your budget doesn't get cut.

It doesn't matter if you NEED to spend it all, you do anyway. And what better way than spending it on super fun things you and your friends can play with?

Lol my dads a lawyer, currently working on government cases but there was no work. Suddenly budget times coming up and they don't want that exact thing to happen so suddenly he's got a tonne of shit to do.

The issue is not that a minority of cops are assholes, it is that the system protects them and punishment is woefully inadequate (assuming they even get punished).

lol cops.

A lot of cops have inferiority complexes when it comes to the military. Cops bitching about veterans and using them as a scapegoat so they can play soldier in their anti mine vehicles. If war-vets were getting serious about crime and confronting the police it would be besmirchment of the highest degree. A small group of Afghan-war vets could do serious damage against a department of fat, untrained, egotistical cops who have never been really challenged. Kind of makes sense why we're seeing federal ammunition buy ups and cops touting the line that vets and IEDs are threats. Law enforcement from the highest level down is clearly concerned with the return of Iraq and Afghan war vets who are largely forgotten by the public pushed into hardened warzones and returning back to an alienating and fragmented society that has buried its head in the sand from the harsh realities of the world.

We put American men to a bloody grindstone. The civilian populace and the administration that put them there didn't support them. The protesters that did have moved onto other issues, hating the war is so 2006 these days. Their valor and sacrifice used by Hawkish right wing talk show hosts to support their partisan hackery.

We've brought back mentally exhausted men and our society breaks a lot of them. Maybe the cops have a right to be scared, but one MRAP doesn't mean much when it's loaded with overweight mentally weak police officers if it ever needed to be deployed in the jerk off dreams of this sheriff.

Someone in this thread

Surely you dont think that just because your grandpa was a good cop that most are?

I mean you understand that the cop culture back in the early 1900s is differnt than today right?

And the problem isnt that every cop is a murderous villainous arsehole, its that the professional culture today enlists murderous villainous arse holes, and even though they might be a minority, the normal ones are encouraged to support, condone, and cover up their actions.

I mean really, do you think that your grandpa or Barney Fife would have said they needed an MRAP to fight crime?

To be fair, his Gramps and Barney Fife would not expect school shootings, bombings at marathons, or most of the awful shit that happens today. It is a different world than it was 60 or more years ago.

I said, in an earlier post, that police departments do not need these MRAPs, and are only getting them because the government is basically giving them away. I can't imagine any department getting one of these if it had to come out of their budget. I can certainly imagine people using home-made bombs to attack police, but the odds that an MRAP would be able to be utilized prior to such an attack is low.

It's mostly this.

If you work in government, you spend your budget, plus a little bit more, so your budget doesn't get cut.

It doesn't matter if you NEED to spend it all, you do anyway. And what better way than spending it on super fun things you and your friends can play with?

/thread.

Jesus, dude was a dipshit

MRAPs are free as opposed to buying the armored vehicle they actually want.

Its not that militarized, its a ten ton International dump truck with an armored body.

Cops have been "militarized" since bonnie and clyde. Tommy guns and BARs

Lastly dude was a dipshit again

No actual combat vet from the current conflicts has went apeshit. Just some noncombat vets the media has desperately tryed to portray as rambo.

Back