In terms of PPV numbers Conor-Khabib won't touch Conor-Nate 2

Lionheart7167

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
Everyone's talking about this fight as the biggest fight of all time, and I get it. You have the returning "champ champ" after a long layoff, fighting the undefeated Russian monster and current champ. It's certainly the fight to make and one everyone's been pining for.

Nevertheless, I don't think this ones going to break any records. The momentum that Conor built leading up to, and even after, the Mayweather fight, has slowed. McGregor is still tremendously popular, but it remains to be seen whether all of those casuals still have the interest. Remember, it's the CASUALS, that break PPV cards into the stratosphere.
Additionally, the Conor-Diaz 2 fight had a built in storyline. Diaz is a comic book character, and was the first fighter in the UFC to beat Conor. Everyone (EVERYONE) wondered what would happen in that second fight.
Khabib, while super popular among hardcore fans and his Russian base, isn't as well known as Diaz was after that first fight, and certainly doesn't have the attitude or bravado of Diaz (although his unique trash talking game is still pretty dope)
Look no further than Conor-Alvarez. That didn't come close to touching Conor-Diaz's numbers and that was historic. First fight for 2 simultaneous titles in the UFC AND first Madison Square Garden card, HEAVILY promoted.

Khabib is a star and this will cross 2 million easily

I will be surprised if it will brak 1 M

I wouldn't be so sure. If you remember, people claimed Conor's hype was "dead" after his first loss to Diaz and said the rematch would do disappointing numbers (derp derp.) Instead it went on to break records.

Khabib fight may not set the record but I think it'll come really, really close.

It'll do well, but no, I can't imagine it doing better than Connor/Nate 2. But if ends up being a barn-burner of that magnitude, surely a Conor vs Khabib 2 would be competitive.

I think Mcgregor is now more famous than ever and Khabib has a huge following. I dont know how much it will do but i could see it breaking the record, every time Mcgregor fights the buyrate are better.

Conor hype might be a little dead with casuals, but who knows...it will break 1m PPV's imo, simply because is Conor.

I wouldn't be so sure. If you remember, people claimed Conor's hype was "dead" after his first loss to Diaz and said the rematch would do disappointing numbers (derp derp.) Instead it went on to break records.

Khabib fight may not set the record but I think it'll come really, really close.

What you say is definitely true however I think it was a better angle. People were hooked on Conor and wondering how he would respond to his first (UFC) loss. Nothing beats a Revenge angle.

I'm predicting it will break all mma ppv records...and here's why...conor's first fight back since the mayweather fight. fighting undefeated russian champion. conor was arrested and faced jail time for the bus incident which made the news...now he's fighting that same guy. it has all the making of a huge huge ppv.

I don't know if it will break Nate/Conor, but I think it will do similar numbers. Depends what rest of the card is like too.

No casual has heard of kabob and the wwe bus angle won't help that. 1 mil buys is generous.

What you say is definitely true however I think it was a better angle. People were hooked on Conor and wondering how he would respond to his first (UFC) loss. Nothing beats a Revenge angle.

People should be equally enthralled by his return to MMA after a two year absence, though. And Khabib has certain elements about him - his undefeated record, the fact that he may have never lost a round, the fact that he usually mauls and destroys people and is at his best where Conor is at his worst - that makes him a particularly compelling opponent for McGregor. Add in the personal beef (nothing sells a fight better than a grudge, title or no title) and you have the makings of a fight that could realistically (although I doubt it will) be the biggest fight in MMA history.

Who fucking cares? UFC been dead for 10 years now, right?

Sure Dawg.

Wrong. It will touch, if not surpass.

Should be over 1.5 million at least.

You're right, it won't touch Conor vs Nate 2 numbers, it will destroy Conor vs Nate 2...Hopefully.

This is Conor coming off of the Floyd fight. He's also in a sweet spot where the UFC hasn't generated anything over 1M since he left. It will be big. Top 5 PPV's sold all time at the least.

You could very well be right, however, a lot of this will depend on how well the fight is advertised in the weeks leading up to the fight.

They better actually put some $ into marketing. Not you will only see the tv spot for 229 when watching a fucking fight night on fs1

Back