In terms of PPV numbers Conor-Khabib won't touch Conor-Nate 2

Everyone's talking about this fight as the biggest fight of all time

Don't think I've read one person on here say it will be, but anyway, Helwani keeps calling it the biggest fight in MMA, it'll do over 2 million buys - none of which I think are true or will happen.

Even watching that video promo last night - most of it was footage of them from their old fights, with quotes from them from years ago. There's definitely niggle there, but when reading about how they're old foes or arch rivals, it makes me scratch my head and testes simultaneously.

Everyone's talking about this fight as the biggest fight of all time, and I get it. You have the returning "champ champ" after a long layoff, fighting the undefeated Russian monster and current champ. It's certainly the fight to make and one everyone's been pining for.

Nevertheless, I don't think this ones going to break any records. The momentum that Conor built leading up to, and even after, the Mayweather fight, has slowed. McGregor is still tremendously popular, but it remains to be seen whether all of those casuals still have the interest. Remember, it's the CASUALS, that break PPV cards into the stratosphere.
Additionally, the Conor-Diaz 2 fight had a built in storyline. Diaz is a comic book character, and was the first fighter in the UFC to beat Conor. Everyone (EVERYONE) wondered what would happen in that second fight.
Khabib, while super popular among hardcore fans and his Russian base, isn't as well known as Diaz was after that first fight, and certainly doesn't have the attitude or bravado of Diaz (although his unique trash talking game is still pretty dope)
Look no further than Conor-Alvarez. That didn't come close to touching Conor-Diaz's numbers and that was historic. First fight for 2 simultaneous titles in the UFC AND first Madison Square Garden card, HEAVILY promoted.

I lost you when you implied that this fight has no story line. It’s probably the most genuine beef ever in mma that literally spilled out into the streets with first the Artem incident and then the infamous bus incident. And I lost you more when you tried to use the Alvarez fight as indicator for this fight. That’s baffling. That was pre-Mayweather fight. Now Conor is literally a house hold name. I have 60 year old uncles who know who McG is and who bought his Mayweather fight and who know all about the New York bus incident because it was highlighted all over major sports channels.

It won’t be top PPV, but it will be top 3-5

I think Mcgregor is now more famous than ever and Khabib has a huge following. I dont know how much it will do but i could see it breaking the record, every time Mcgregor fights the buyrate are better.
Yes. This is his first fight post the Mayweather fight. That was publicity on a galactic scale. Something no other ufc fighter has atempted. Household name stuff. Then there was the bus debacle. That was on every major news network. All publicity is good. The UFC will build this up to massive levels. PPV will be just fine.

Agree, Khabib is not a draw and casuals doesn't give a shit about him

I'd guess 1.3.

The fight that will break the PPV record is going to be DC/Brock.

I will be surprised if it will brak 1 M
Nah you'll just claim Dave Meltzer is a UFC shill and his numbers are phony.

Then when Meltzer comes up with shitty numbers you'll treat them as legit and claim the UFC is dying.

If the UFC puts a card around it, 2 mil buys is a possibility..

This fight has the PERFECT narrative/story to smash records. Probably the most potential of any fight ever. UFC will invest a TON into marketing and I think this fight will hit 2.5million maybe even 3mil.

Everyone's talking about this fight as the biggest fight of all time, and I get it. You have the returning "champ champ" after a long layoff, fighting the undefeated Russian monster and current champ. It's certainly the fight to make and one everyone's been pining for.

Nevertheless, I don't think this ones going to break any records. The momentum that Conor built leading up to, and even after, the Mayweather fight, has slowed. McGregor is still tremendously popular, but it remains to be seen whether all of those casuals still have the interest. Remember, it's the CASUALS, that break PPV cards into the stratosphere.
Additionally, the Conor-Diaz 2 fight had a built in storyline. Diaz is a comic book character, and was the first fighter in the UFC to beat Conor. Everyone (EVERYONE) wondered what would happen in that second fight.
Khabib, while super popular among hardcore fans and his Russian base, isn't as well known as Diaz was after that first fight, and certainly doesn't have the attitude or bravado of Diaz (although his unique trash talking game is still pretty dope)
Look no further than Conor-Alvarez. That didn't come close to touching Conor-Diaz's numbers and that was historic. First fight for 2 simultaneous titles in the UFC AND first Madison Square Garden card, HEAVILY promoted.

One glaring omission from your analysis. McGregor's star power is higher now than it was in 2016. Less than a year ago he was in the second biggest ppv in combat sports history. This is his first ppv after that fight. You are completely misreading his star power since last year and trying to analyze this in the little UFC bubble of 2016.

Well I didn’t order Conor-diaz2 but I’m definitely ordering Khabib-Conor.... I know this will be around 2 million but territory

Conor is bigger now than he was 2 years ago. He never lingers around until he is stale. Every time he comes back he is bigger. Facts. No bias, I wish he fought more regularly but I get why he does what he does. I guess also he hasn't took that much damage either over his career. I think this sells more than Diaz 2, the Dolly incident definitely helped though lol, got all the casuals interested

Since when has Nate ever been a large draw?

We haven't seen Conor and Khabib in the same room once and this fight is already trending.... Imagine when they have few presser face offs... This is the biggest fight in mma history.
This. Let's wait until these two get some camera time lol. Khabib is a big personality in his own right and I think the genuine hatred that these two have for each other as opposed to the clearly contrived and over the top bullcrap with Nate makes for a much more interesting promotion.

This fight just has too many things going for it to not be the most hyped fight in MMA history.

They will if they add Cyborg vs Nunes as Co-Main

For the first time since his last fight, casuals who come in my shop are talking about ufc and sky's ports news are talking about ufc too...
Conor sells, is as simple as that.

This fight has the PERFECT narrative/story to smash records. Probably the most potential of any fight ever. UFC will invest a TON into marketing and I think this fight will hit 2.5million maybe even 3mil.
Agreed. They barely have any promo material to go by right now other than the bus crap. Once they get some sound bytes and some faceoffs the hype vids are going to be insane I think. Add in a couple of Joe Rogan in a dark room spiels and this thing might hit the mid 2's.

Back