In 2005, Top 3 lightweights were better than the ones in 2021.

Okay? Lol.

We're not going to act like Nick at 155 with that size, cardio, chin and pace isn't a brutal mixture for guys?

And he was 13-1 in his fights before that and his slide began with that fight. By the time that fight happened, Gomi was nine years deep in his career. Most guys start to exit their prime around that time, if not sooner, depending on skill level and many other factors. His out of the ring issues exacerbated it.
The top 3 lightweights might be the same size of Diaz back in the day and those guys would habe beaten the piss out of him.

You say Head movement ?!

Wow, Gomi dodged a punch.

Do you understand what head movement means in the context of this discussion and the evolution of MMA? *Consistant* movement in the face of combinations, positioning off the center line *while throwing strikes*, etc.?

No one claimed fighters back in the day couldn't dodge a telegraphed overhand right.

Poirier "modern" Striking hitting the air against Grappler

Khabib has proven to be one of the hardest fighters to land on in MMA history, with one of the best strikes landed to strikes absorbed ratios.

But, sure, he's "just a grappler". lol

Even if Gomi wouldn't beat the top tier fighters now, that isn't an indictment of who he was as a fighter within the landscape and context of who he was fighting against at the time, along with his success in it.

Gomi is considered a LW GOAT by some based off of his best wins, career apex relative to his peers and their skill level at the time, and appropriately through that contextual lens. That's how it should be for everyone, in my opinion.

Oh and Penn > Gomi. Easy.

You're right about gomi's legacy, but the topic is about plucking those fighters from back in time and putting them in a match against the current top 3.
You're getting side tracked.

I coulda just saod its BS i guess.
Ever watched Tuf???

Fighters drink

And fighters lose.. ? Just because fighters drink doesn't mean it doesn't hurt their career. And there is also a difference between getting drunk on TUF and actually being a full blown alcoholic.

Another guy comparing fighters from different eras, when this nonsense will stop. Imagine thinking current Charles and Dustin wont mop the floor with any of those guys mentioned, skill level has gone up tremendously, if you actually know anything about any kinda combat sports - movement, combinations, conditioning, weight cutting, oponent quality too

You're right about gomi's legacy, but the topic is about plucking those fighters from back in time and putting them in a match against the current top 3.
You're getting side tracked.

The thread devolved into people discrediting Gomi. That's why that was posted. Ultimately, the thread was slightly derailed. It is what it is.

Gomi was an animal when he was fighting for Pride. He was a drunk but he was still young. He had regular coaching and trained with other killers. Perhaps he did have help from the promotion in terms of favoritism and prep time for fights.
Both Gomi and Mach looked huge when fighting in Japan, them closed door weigh ins may have had something to do with that. Mach was huge and missed weight by a considerable amount when fighting in the US

Both Gomi and Mach looked huge when fighting in Japan, them closed door weigh ins may have had something to do with that. Mach was huge and missed weight by a considerable amount when fighting in the US
They look big because they were fighting at 160?

Another guy comparing fighters from different eras, when this nonsense will stop. Imagine thinking current Charles and Dustin wont mop the floor with any of those guys mentioned, skill level has gone up tremendously, if you actually know anything about any kinda combat sports - movement, combinations, conditioning, weight cutting, oponent quality too
tell me in detail what's new in modern mma little boy I want to know, what are the new techniques?!

Jab still a Jab, Wrestling still Wrestling and an kick it's still a kick.

Justin fighting in PRIDE would have been amazing...
WavyDeepHeterodontosaurus-max-1mb.gif

PrideFC7ONE.gif

it would be interesting to see Justin on Pride, I would pay to see him get a football kick or "illegal Knees"

UFC has many rules :

images

Pride was a real fight simulation more perfect than ufc.

Last edited:
Back