In 2005, Top 3 lightweights were better than the ones in 2021.

Gomi wouldn't even know how to deal with calf kicks, nor did he ever display the pace/output, footwork, feinting, or combinations Poirier or Gaethje have. He looks absolutely primitive by today's standards, despite being exciting.

Outland him with superior techbique, variety, and pace until he wilts over 5 rounds, if they didn't TKO him before then.

Same goes for Sakurai.

So you think they will outstrike Gomi. The only one who outstruck Gomi during first ten years of his career: None.

Basically you are saying they will outstrike Gomi. I really doubt that. I guess we will never know though. Poirier and Gaethje isn't as technical as you think they are me thinks. They are really good though.

But match ups are what makes fights. I'd put my life on the line that Gomi takes Gaethje out if Gaethje fights in most of his fights, especially if he fights Bushido Gomi like he fought Chandler, I know Gomi deads Justin.

Chandler isn't Gomi. Chandler fought literally nobodies in his entire career. His second best win is Dan Hooker.

If Poirier and Eddie can finish Justin, you know Gomi can.

Chandler has definitely fought a lot of names and saying his best win is Hooker is basically saying....well, he only has one win in the UFC so that has to be his best win.

Pittbull x2, Eddie Alvarez, Primus, Ben Henderson (first fight he wasn't way past his prime, easily better than dan hooker).

Sounds like you think everyone in Bellator are cans or something, certainly not the case. You're saying Dan Hooker would destroy everyone in Bellator? Chandler fought Alvarez when he was in his prime twice, Alvarez had already been ranked by publications as the #2 LW in the world before they had fought I think. Ben Henderson left the UFC in a win streak, and his recent wins/losses were at WW.

Gomi hasn't beaten a ton of guys better than someone like Goiti Yamauchi.

I know it's the UFC section, but the way people talk about Chandler as citing him as "he only has one win in the UFC" is a bit cringe. It's basically implying he was can crushing, when he fought legit LWs who would easily be ranked in the UFC. He's beaten at least 3 guys better than Hooker, possibly 4 or 5.

So you think they will outstrike Gomi. The only one who outstruck Gomi during first ten years of his career: None.

Yes, Gomi managed not to get outstruck when like 95% of MMA fighters barely had any footwork to speak of, wouldn't move their heads, barely feinted, barely jabbed, didn't know what a calf kick was, couldn't switch stances, threw like 30% less strikes on average per round due to inferior conditioning (look at the stats), mostly punched basic 1 or 2s at a time, etc.

Gomi would be overwhelmed if you transported him from 2005 and had him fight Gaethje and Poirier today, like 8 or 9 times out of 10. He's tough enough to last 5 rounds, perhaps, and could get a fluke TKO every now and then, but that's it.

Chandler has definitely fought a lot of names and saying his best win is Hooker is basically saying....well, he only has one win in the UFC so that has to be his best win.

Pittbull x2, Eddie Alvarez, Primus, Ben Henderson (first fight he wasn't way past his prime, easily better than dan hooker).

Sounds like you think everyone in Bellator are cans or something, certainly not the case. You're saying Dan Hooker would destroy everyone in Bellator? Chandler fought Alvarez when he was in his prime twice, Alvarez had already been ranked by publications as the #2 LW in the world before they had fought I think. Ben Henderson left the UFC in a win streak, and his recent wins/losses were at WW.

Gomi hasn't beaten a ton of guys better than someone like Goiti Yamauchi.

I know it's the UFC section, but the way people talk about Chandler as citing him as "he only has one win in the UFC" is a bit cringe. It's basically implying he was can crushing, when he fought legit LWs.

Yes lmfao. Primus is one of his best wins

lmao-crying-laughing.gif

You think he has better wins than Hooker from Bellator? Other than Eddie that is.

And he got his shit pushed in twice by Will Brooks, in absolute middle of his prime.

And he got ktfo by a better Pitbull, you might confuse people there

And no one thinks he didn't beat washed up Bendo.

Yes, Gomi managed not to get outstruck when like 95% of MMA fighters barely had any footwork to speak of, wouldn't move their heads, barely feinted, barely jabbed, didn't know what a calf kick was, couldn't switch stances, threw like 30% less strikes on average per round due to inferior conditioning (look at the stats), mostly punched basic 1 or 2s at a time, etc.

Gomi would be overwhelmed if you transported him from 2005 and had him fight Gaethje and Poirier today, like 8 or 9 times out of 10. He's tough enough to last 5 rounds, perhaps, and could get a fluke TKO every now and then, but that's it.

I think you haven't seen watch Gomi fight much.

But we can agree to disagree.

Gomi lost to Nick Diaz....

Okay? Lol.

We're not going to act like Nick at 155 with that size, cardio, chin and pace isn't a brutal mixture for guys?

And he was 13-1 in his fights before that and his slide began with that fight. By the time that fight happened, Gomi was nine years deep in his career. Most guys start to exit their prime around that time, if not sooner, depending on skill level and many other factors. His out of the ring issues exacerbated it.

I think you haven't seen watch Gomi fight much.

I got into MMA via Pride, bruh.

That's how I know what you're saying is laughable and over the top.

There's no fight where Gomi displayed the insane pace (attacks per minute/round), combinations, footwork, attack variety, feinting, etc. of a Poirier vs Max, Gaethje vs Poirier or Ferguson, etc.

To say he'd run through them is nostalgic crazy talk.

Yes lmfao. Primus is one of his best wins

lmao-crying-laughing.gif

You think he has better wins than Hooker from Bellator? Other than Eddie that is.

And he got his shit pushed in twice by Will Brooks, in absolute middle of his prime.

And he got ktfo by a better Pitbull, you might confuse people there

And no one thinks he didn't beat washed up Bendo.

uh...first off lol at "other than eddie" - it really feels like you just looked at their wikipedia page. first off, I'm not sure how anyone in their right mind could simply forget he beat Eddie Alvarez.

I'm not confusing Patricky and Patricio....they're different people. Him losing to Patricio doesn't mean anything other than he lost to another good fighter.

He beat Patricky twice, if you think Patricky Pitbull is a can, and is 'worse than Dan Hooker' then you legitimately have no idea what you're talking about.

Ben Henderson wasn't washed up in 2016. He was declining. You're absolutely nuts if you think Dan Hooker could beat Ben Hensderson 6 years ago. Bendo left the UFC on his own accord, not because he was cut, he was on a win streak, albeit had a controversial decision over Jorge Masivdal.

Ben Henderson only lost to a can in recent times, everyone who has beaten him was legit, much less at lightweight. You're just memeing, Henderson clearly wasn't in the best of his career so you're going the extreme direction and saying "lollololol" - like Dan Hooker is really going to sleep Ben Henderson because RDA could beat him?

In 2014 people had no idea how good RDA was, and he became the champ like a year and a half after knocking out Ben Henderson. Ben Henderson wasn't washed up, and still isn't even terrible today.

You're probably one of those guys who thought Dan Henderson was a scrub when he went to strikeforce and lost to Jake Shields.

I mean this isn't even an argument, saying that Chandler's only good win and his best win is Dan Hooker is flat out wrong and ignorant. It's even more strange cause it's easy to rip apart Japanese MMA, yet you're some how unaware that being a champion in bellator is incredibly difficult - the ultimate "do you even train" test is someone thinking that anyone can be bellator LW champion lmao.

If Dan Hooker could be bellator champion, then he would just go there and be the champion. Bellator, just like WEC back in the day has 2-3 guys on top that are UFC rank level and are not easy to beat.

Last edited:
I'm not shitting on Chandler though. But which win was better than Hooker? If you remember, Chandler was an underdog in that fight. Hooker is a very good fighter.

And I'm not shitting on Chandler by saying this. It is what it is. I still think prime Chandler has the best style to give Khabib a very tough fight.

Even if Gomi wouldn't beat the top tier fighters now, that isn't an indictment of who he was as a fighter within the landscape and context of who he was fighting against at the time, along with his success in it.

Gomi is considered a LW GOAT by some based off of his best wins, career apex relative to his peers and their skill level at the time, and appropriately through that contextual lens. That's how it should be for everyone, in my opinion.

Oh and Penn > Gomi. Easy.

uh...first off lol at "other than eddie" - it really feels like you just looked at their wikipedia page. first off, I'm not sure how anyone in their right mind could simply forget he beat Eddie Alvarez.

I'm not confusing Patricky and Patricio....they're different people. Him losing to Patricio doesn't mean anything other than he lost to another good fighter.

He beat Patricky twice, if you think Patricky Pitbull is a can, and is 'worse than Dan Hooker' then you legitimately have no idea what you're talking about.

Ben Henderson wasn't washed up in 2016. He was declining. You're absolutely nuts if you think Dan Hooker could beat Ben Hensderson 6 years ago. Bendo left the UFC on his own accord, not because he was cut, he was on a win streak, albeit had a controversial decision over Jorge Masivdal.

Ben Henderson only lost to a can in recent times, everyone who has beaten him was legit, much less at lightweight. You're just memeing, Henderson clearly wasn't in the best of his career so you're going the extreme direction and saying "lollololol" - like Dan Hooker is really going to sleep Ben Henderson because RDA could beat him?

In 2014 people had no idea how good RDA was, and he became the champ like a year and a half after knocking out Ben Henderson. Ben Henderson wasn't washed up, and still isn't even terrible.

You're probably one of those guys who thought Dan Henderson was a scrub when he went to strikeforce and lost to Jake Shields.

I mean this isn't even an argument, saying that Chandler's only good win and his best win is Dan Hooker is flat out wrong and ignorant. It's even more strange cause it's easy to rip apart Japanese MMA, yet you're some how unaware that being a champion in bellator is incredibly difficult - the ultimate "do you even train" test is someone thinking that anyone can be bellator LW champion lmao.

If Dan Hooker could be bellator champion, then he would just go there and be the champion. Bellator, just like WEC back in the day has 2-3 guys on top that are UFC rank level and are not easy to beat.

Um I didn't. You forgot. I said it was second best win. You were thinking I didn't include Eddie the very top.

Yeah imagine Patricky being one of your best wins lol.

I mean you need to learn to read man, I said Hooker is second best win, but you getting little emotional there.

I mean, you can think what you think. He was like -700 fav against Primus - one of best wins. How ridiculous is this.

Chandler was a favourite against Patricky, Primus, Bendso and so on. He was an underdog against Hooker. Hell, he opened at -400 against Patricky, and was around -700 against Primus before the fight, "better wins than Dan Hooker"

I mean I didn't make this thread to shit on Chandler, so you can think what you want.

And let's just forget Chandler getting his shit pushed in twice against Will Brooks in absolute prime of his. Selective memory works.

I got into MMA via Pride, bruh.

That's how I know what you're saying is laughable and over the top.

There's no fight where Gomi displayed the insane pace (attacks per minute/round), combinations, footwork, attack variety, feinting, etc. of a Poirier vs Max, Gaethje vs Poirier or Ferguson, etc.

To say he'd run through them is nostalgic crazy talk.

He would.

We can agree to disagreeeeee

I mean it sounds like I ended up shitting on Chandler, but I always thought that prime Chandler is the worst match up for Khabib. I think if that fight happened, in my opinion, he had every attributes and abilities to beat Khabib, so I don't think It's not that I don't think highly of Chandler.

But isn't Hooker his second best win of his entire career?

That's what I think. If you disagree, then we can agree to disagree too.

Gomi wouldn't even know how to deal with calf kicks, nor did he ever display the pace/output, footwork, feinting, or combinations Poirier or Gaethje have. He looks absolutely primitive by today's standards, despite being exciting.

Outland him with superior techbique, variety, and pace until he wilts over 5 rounds, if they didn't TKO him before then.

Same goes for Sakurai.
HalfCalculatingGeese-max-1mb.gif

tumblr_na23hqsxGU1ry1rm7o1_400.gif
images

defending Calf kick isn't that hard, shit even Wand that not very technical knew how to defend. Aldo know too. This doesn't work in Old School Muay Thai guys.

just those "modern" mma fighters who use boxing stance not know The defense.

Gomi By KO in this style!!
a0bd3c97ce903c33ac6f8f4962546f3c.gif

Pride never dies <CerseiPlotting>

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Judoka_Noob
Back