IMMAF World Championship in less than a month

We've got a guy from our gym fighting tomorrow at Featherweight.

A few updates:

- Team Finland's 135lbs competitor Aleksi Toivonen got eliminated by the American, Jose Torres via a 3rd round stoppage.

- Team Finland's 145lbs competitor Jari Illikainen got a free pass from the first round. He was supposed to face off against Team Ukraine's Evgeniy Odnorog, but they deemed Odnorog ineligible to be considered an amateur due to having 14 pro bouts on his record. :rolleyes:

- Team Finland's 155lbs competitor Patrik Pietil

A few updates:

- Team Finland's 170lbs competitor Aleksi Nurminen cruised through his Italian opponent Daniele De Santis and finished the fight via 2nd round GnP.

Aleksi Nurminen will face Team Romania's Stefan Duminica next, so that guy won his first fight aswell.

You guys should try to find a twitter feed from one of the staff members from your national team. One of the Finnish staff members is tweeting how the Finns do.

http://www.tapology.com/forum/open/592508- Here's a nice compilation of all the teams and participating fighters. Try to find yours and dig around, cause I'd really love to hear who's done well. I will be very surprised if Zach Fears from the US doesn't make it to the finals. I've seen him fight and he's good.

Reading around the web, till now the only italians that won in the 1st bout are Alessio Di Chirico and Asterio Lucchesini.
Alessio Di Chirico defeated a canadian via KO.

OFFICIAL RESULTS

RESULTS FOR DAY 1 - Monday 30th June

CAGE A

1-A Kristian Lindstrom Skogmo (NOR) def Iuri Bejenari (FRA)
via TKO Doctor Stoppage, Round 1, End of Round

2-A Carlos Hernandez (USA) def Jamie Powell (UK)
via Submission (Rear Naked Choke), Round 2, 2:19

3-A Jose Torres (USA) def Moraru Florin (ROM)
via Submission (Rear Naked Choke), Round 1, 1:14

4-A Bohdan Holovatyi (UKR) def Prabu Somanaidu (MLY)
via Unanimous Decision, Round 3, End of Round

5-A Jordan Chester (UK) def Thomas Flesvik (NOR)

6-A Joel Moya (SWE) def Marco Quatrale (ITA)
via Submission (Anaconda Choke), Round 2, 1:34

7-A Salvatore Liga (BEL) def Maxwell Spiller (USA)

8-A Jari Illikainen (FIN) def Levgenii Odnorog (UKR)
via Walkover

9-A Imad Al Howayeck (LEB) def Senad Hasic (SWE)
via TKO Referee Stoppage, Round 2, 0:49

10-A Raymond Gray (USA) def Joey Morency (CAN)

11-A Felix Sherubel (AUT) def Filip Ciomu (ROM)
via TKO Strikes, Round 2, 2:08

12-A Mikkel Kasper (DEN) def Lee Balmer (UK)
via Walkover

CAGE B

1-B Rachel Abou Abdallah (LEB) def No Opponent
via Walkover

2-B Amanda Ribas (BRA) def Micol Di Segni (ITA)

3-B Aleksandra Milczarek (POL) def Lisa Engelke (SWE)
via Submission, Round 2, 2:03

4-B Amanda Lino (ZAF) def Andrea Whitney (USA)
via TKO Strikes, Round 1, 2:21

5-B Florence Berthet (FRA) def Jill Holmstr

Last edited:
- Team Finland's 170lbs competitor Aleksi Nurminen has advanced to the quarter-finals by slapping on a Rear Naked Choke on Team Romania's Stefan Duminica in the first round.

- Team Finland's 145lbs competitor Jari Illikainen has also advanced to the quarter-finals by beating Team France's Yohann Ruelle via a triangle choke in just 48 seconds.

- Team Finland's 125lbs competitor Saku Ronkainen was eliminated by Team Norway's Kristian Skogmo. Apparently Skogmo managed to perform a beautiful comeback by escaping from under Ronkainen, taking his back and slapping on a RNC with less than 5 seconds remaining.

OFFICIAL RESULTS

Thanks a lot for posting! Can you share the source?

Thanks a lot for posting! Can you share the source?

Sure! Sorry I forgot to link it.

Is the FB page of IMMAF: IMMAF FB Profile

EDIT:
I'm adding the supposed teams to the results post.
There r even videos about the fights on Youtube:
[YT]1QwC8anw7rk[/YT]

Last edited:
Sure! Sorry I forgot to link it.

Is the FB page of IMMAF: IMMAF FB Profile

EDIT:
I'm adding the supposed teams to the results post.
There r even videos about the fights on Youtube:
[YT]1QwC8anw7rk[/YT]

Cheers for doing the work on the specific nationalities of the fighters! Truly appreciate it.

A few updates:

- Team Finland's 135lbs competitor Aleksi Toivonen got eliminated by the American, Jose Torres via a 3rd round stoppage.

- Team Finland's 145lbs competitor Jari Illikainen got a free pass from the first round. He was supposed to face off against Team Ukraine's Evgeniy Odnorog, but they deemed Odnorog ineligible to be considered an amateur due to having 14 pro bouts on his record. :rolleyes:

- Team Finland's 155lbs competitor Patrik Pietil

Cheers for doing the work on the specific nationalities of the fighters! Truly appreciate it.

I'm even not sure about those :D
e.g.: Joao Mimoso lost the semifinal vs. the Maori guy; he competed for USA cauz he's fighting out of USA where he relocated recently from Portugal, but he's registered as portuguese everywhere and probably (but not sure) he doesn't hold the american citizenship, he's just a visa holder.
The same is for the rest, so isn't easy to understand for what team they're fighting.

Malaysian and former TUF alumni Allen Solomon Chong wrote on FB that he didn't lost the match vs. Lucchesini cauz the org didn't let him fighting.

- Team Finland's 170lbs competitor Aleksi Nurminen has reached the finals by defeating Team Norway's Joachim Tollefsen. Tollefsen broke his fist and couldn't continue after being controlled for the first round by Nurminen.

- Team Finland's 145lbs competitor Jari Illikainen has also reached the finals by defeating Team Belgium's Salvatore Liga via a Rear Naked Choke 2 minutes 16 seconds into the first round.

Proud of these two. :redface: The finals will be fought tomorrow (Saturday).

Last edited:

Unfortunately they haven't been updated with the results yet. IMMAF hasn't officially released them so far I think.

By the way, can I add you into my friends list? Anyone who is as interested in the up-and-comers as I am deserves his spot! :D

- Team Finland's 170lbs competitor Aleksi Nurminen has reached the finals by defeating Team Norway's Joachim Tollefsen. Tollefsen broke his fist and couldn't continue after being controlled for the first round by Nurminen.

- Team Finland's 145lbs competitor Jari Illikainen has also reached the finals by defeating Team Belgium's Salvatore Liga via a Rear Naked Choke 2 minutes 16 seconds into the first round.

Proud of these two. :redface: The finals will be fought tomorrow (Saturday).

As a part of team Norway i must politely disagree. Tollefsen controlled Nurminen, but was unable to continue due to the broken fist :) But, hey, we are probably both pretty biased. With that being said, I think the Finnish team is great! A lot of good and though fighters! Norway has 3 guys in the final, Kristian Skogmo in Flyweight, Gard Olve Sagen in Middle weight and Eivind Kj

As a part of team Norway i must politely disagree. Tollefsen controlled Nurminen, but was unable to continue due to the broken fist :) But, hey, we are probably both pretty biased. With that being said, I think the Finnish team is great! A lot of good and though fighters! Norway has 3 guys in the final, Kristian Skogmo in Flyweight, Gard Olve Sagen in Middle weight and Eivind Kj

Last edited:
IMMAF World Amateur MMA Championship 2014 - FINALS

Mens Flyweight
Kristian Lindstr

Great!!

Hopefully Alessio di Chirico will pull it off, he has a bright future even as a pro MW, still undefeated

Out of the 24 competitors that reached the finals, 11 are from Northern Europe.

More precisely put:

- 4 from Sweden
- 3 from Norway
- 2 from Finland
- 2 from Denmark

At this point, no one can deny that MMA in Scandinavia + Finland is definitely on the rise, and has a lot of surging new talent on the way up. It's a damn good time to be a Northern European fight fan, and it'll only get better.

Back