1. The official Sherdog Store is back! Check it out! » Discuss it here! »

IMMAF World Championship in less than a month

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by lapollarecords, Jun 2, 2014.

1. Bubblun Brown Belt

i don't understand, these are the amateur world championships, but this guy has a pro mma record!

i know that a lot of regional mma organizations are rather "amateur", but this is not fair.

edit: i googled a lot of fighters and basically everyone is a pro...

Last edited: Jul 5, 2014
  2. HerpDerp ambitiously unambitious

And now I'm even more proud. Both Nurminen and Illikainen got their gold medals! Nurminen via RNC in the 1st round, Illikainen via a triangle choke in the 1st round. Ol

3. toxic Purple Belt

I'm sorry for my late reply, haven't checked this board since my last post. But I will come with some updates. First of all, congratulations to each Nation winning. It turned out to be a success in my opinion. A lot of good talent from Northern Europe as someone already mentioned. As a Norwegian I have to like that :)

Regarding the amateur/pro debate, I was fully aware of the Shooto-rule set. But even though Shooto was pretty popular in Northern Europe (which is influenced by the early Japanese fight scene), it wasn't the only rule set around. The B-matches even had an 8 count back in the day (I think the A-matches had as well), and while the B-matches until now has been seen as "pro-bouts" (They were credited as such) they are now counted as amateur bouts.

I have been in contact with the IMMAF regarding the whole situation, and there will be more clear rules for future events. Unfortunately, a lot of mistakes and miscommunication was done with this event. The Norwegian team was largely unexperiened due to the fact that we had gotten information about B-bouts as being professional, and picked our team accordring to an assumption that amateur-bout strictly was the norm. A lot of fighters didn't even have a single fight when picked last year. So we were kind of upset when we discovered that a lot of the other nations had several fighters with rich records, even pro-records. With MMA being illegal in Norway, it's difficult to get experience for our fighters. Thanks to Sweden, Denmark and Finland we have been able to get some fights though.

But several of the fighters didn't have only B-shooto bouts, but they even had other professional bouts (with a full pro-mma rule set). If we count out the B-shooto bouts (which can be argued for as amateur-bouts) there were still several nations, in particular East European and South European nations that had pro experience. And that is not fair to the competitors.

Anyhow, we ended up with 3 silver and 1 bronze medal out of 7 competitors and are very proud of our guys :) We are also very proud by the fact that other small North European nations did so well!

And for the youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1bCOU2R4ML4HYYk8x5D2Wg

(It contains most of the Norwegian matches, win or loss, so u will probably find some of ur guys there as well)

4. VolkHan Brown Belt