I'm gonna try cooking steak tonight and I'm no cook

I think tonight i will pull out the old George Costanza cut.

Where can I buy premium meat in Southern California ? Should I find the local butcher ?

I made this this weekend. I had two of the little bottles of "Hen-Dog" (That's Hennessey for you squares) and like the Chef said....

You will want to rub that sauce all over your body.

Mind me asking whats the best way to make brisket? I love the finer cuts off a cow like the filet mignon but I am hooked on brisket, especially Texas style brisket
First time I moved to the US and bought a smoker I used this recipe and I've stuck with it. I do it with Dijon rubbed all over before the rub.

I brined it for St PAtrick's Day though and it was amazing.

1/4 cup brown sugar

1 tablespoon chile powder

1 tablespoon paprika

2 teaspoons garlic powder

2 teaspoons kosher salt

1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

1 teaspoon cayenne pepper

First time I moved to the US and bought a smoker I used this recipe and I've stuck with it. I do it with Dijon rubbed all over before the rub.

1/4 cup brown sugar

1 tablespoon paprika

2 teaspoons kosher salt

Oh man o man, this sounds delicious. Thing is here in NY its damn near impossible to find a Brisket cut off a cow unless I go upstate to a butcher directly. New York City only keeps the most standard cuts for sale. A lot of people around here say a Brisket cut is mostly a southern thing which doesn't make any sense to me seeing as it is still a part of the fkn cow and it is absolutely delicious when made properly. I still have plans to go up to the finger lakes region this weekend. I know of a butcher out in Canandaigua, New York on 5&20 that I can buy SUER FRESH Brisket cuts for a awesome price. I can't wait because my friend has a smoker out that way and now you gave me this recipe, im willing to give it a shot!! Thanks m8

1/4 cup brown sugar

1 tablespoon paprika

2 teaspoons kosher salt

Is there any issue with putting perhaps any lime or lemon in this recipe you mentioned? I've always loved the twang of just the right amount of lime I believe it was in a delicious brisket, it makes it even more delicious imho

Oh man o man, this sounds delicious. Thing is here in NY its damn near impossible to find a Brisket cut off a cow unless I go upstate to a butcher directly. New York City only keeps the most standard cuts for sale. A lot of people around here say a Brisket cut is mostly a southern thing which doesn't make any sense to me seeing as it is still a part of the fkn cow and it is absolutely delicious when made properly. I still have plans to go up to the finger lakes region this weekend. I know of a butcher out in Canandaigua, New York on 5&20 that I can buy SUER FRESH Brisket cuts for a awesome price. I can't wait because my friend has a smoker out that way and now you gave me this recipe, im willing to give it a shot!! Thanks m8
Just do the mustard and the rub the night before and leave it in the fridge, and you're all set. Also, most places deliver if you can't find it locally. I managed to find someone to deliver ground ostrich from butt fuck miles away a few months back.
I winged it with the brine for the corned beef and it turned out brilliant so his me up if you want to do that as well.

Just do the mustard and the rub the night before and leave it in the fridge, and you're all set. Also, most places deliver if you can't find it locally. I managed to find someone to deliver ground ostrich from butt fuck miles away a few months back.
I winged it with the brine for the corned beef and it turned out brilliant so his me up if you want to do that as well.
Appreciate this millions m8, thank u

Is there any issue with putting perhaps any lime or lemon in this recipe you mentioned? I've always loved the twang of just the right amount of lime I believe it was in a delicious brisket, it makes it even more delicious imho
Not really my thing unless fish is involved, just taste. I'm sure plenty of people who know what they're doing would disagree with me. The closest I get really to that is using Sumak if I'm doing something middle eastern.

Gonna shoot u a follow , not that its necessarybut cus your always quite kind! I'll definitely get back to you once I get the brisket finished sometime this weekend! Pics n everything!

Regarding sous vide, I just got into this recently. I guess I was expecting to be blown away, but I didn’t notice much difference. The main difference I think is sous vide seems impossible to screw up. It cooks it perfectly with no skill required. Cooking meat in a skillet or grill requires more practice.

Mind me asking whats the best way to make brisket? I love the finer cuts off a cow like the filet mignon but I am hooked on brisket, especially Texas style brisket

Good question.

I actually really like a traditional Jewish style brisket rubbed in a coat of seasonings, topped with an onion jam an slow roasted until it dies twice and is as soft as a pillow.

As far as a Texas style... they best way would be to have a reliable smoker or a grill that you can manipulate into working as one. One that holds a temp.

You want a coarse sea salt and cracked pepper rub, and that about it as far as classic style Texas brisket seasonings go. If the brisket is fatty trim it down a bit to about 1/4 fat and cut off any ugly shit that you see. Maybe use a little mustard as a base coat to help the salt and pepper stick. Be very generous with the seasoning.

Get your fire ready, make come coals, and get the cooking space for the brisket into the 200-225 range.

Use whatever wood you like. Oak, pecan, whatever. Even Apple or cherry if that’s your jam.

Throw the brisket on fat side up, make sure you watch the flame ups and temp, you want smoke, not a harsh char.

After a few hours where you feel like the amount of smoke is right (depends on your tastes and the size of the brisket) wrap your brisket in some butcher paper, tie it up with some cotton twine and put it in the cooler part of your bbq setup. From there let it go until it’s as tender as you like. Let it rest for a good 30 min before you slice it, keep as much of the juice as you can to pour over or to mix back in if you prefer a shredded style. If you put a foil pan under the brisket while it’s cooking in all the different stages you should be able to collect a good amount of fat juice and smoke flavor.

This is a guide, tweak it as you want. I can’t give exact times because that will vary widely on the size of the brisket, it’s marbling and your cooking setup. Most likely you’ll be in for at least, at leeeast, 6 hours if you have a tiny brisket. Maybe up to 12. But once you fine tune it, it’ll be beautiful.

Remember, you’re smoking, not grilling.

Good question.

I actually really like a traditional Jewish style brisket rubbed in a coat of seasonings, topped with an onion jam an slow roasted until it dies twice and is as soft as a pillow.

As far as a Texas style... they best way would be to have a reliable smoker or a grill that you can manipulate into working as one. One that holds a temp.

You want a coarse sea salt and cracked pepper rub, and that about it as far as classic style Texas brisket seasonings go. If the brisket is fatty trim it down a bit to about 1/4 fat and cut off any ugly shit that you see. Maybe use a little mustard as a base coat to help the salt and pepper stick. Be very generous with the seasoning.

Get your fire ready, make come coals, and get the cooking space for the brisket into the 200-225 range.

Use whatever wood you like. Oak, pecan, whatever. Even Apple or cherry if that’s your jam.

Throw the brisket on fat side up, make sure you watch the flame ups and temp, you want smoke, not a harsh char.

After a few hours where you feel like the amount of smoke is right (depends on your tastes and the size of the brisket) wrap your brisket in some butcher paper, tie it up with some cotton twine and put it in the cooler part of your bbq setup. From there let it go until it’s as tender as you like. Let it rest for a good 30 min before you slice it, keep as much of the juice as you can to pour over or to mix back in if you prefer a shredded style. If you put a foil pan under the brisket while it’s cooking in all the different stages you should be able to collect a good amount of fat juice and smoke flavor.

This is a guide, tweak it as you want. I can’t give exact times because that will vary widely on the size of the brisket, it’s marbling and your cooking setup. Most likely you’ll be in for at least, at leeeast, 6 hours if you have a tiny brisket. Maybe up to 12. But once you fine tune it, it’ll be beautiful.

Remember, you’re smoking, not grilling.
Wow thanks bruva! Ima copy this text and put it on my fridge for when I give it a go. Got 1 more question for ya. My apologies for asking so many questions but your insight in this topic is damn good imo. What are your thoughts on dry aging a brisket? I've watched a few YT videos about Dry Age Brisket and it always looks really delicious to me. How would you go about dry aging and preparing a brisket? Also, last question bruv, what is the difference between dry aging a brisket and eating it and the way you last posted to me about making a brisket? I guess what I'm trying to ask is whats the difference in taste and texture?

Nobody reverse sear up in this?

Right?! I make steak 2-3 times a week. it’s the only way to go.

Also, one of the best cheap cuts on the face of planet earth for reverse sear is the Denver steak. Most butchers don’t stock it but will cut it if you ask. Usually runs around the same price as chuck eye because most people don’t know what it is.

Wow thanks bruva! Ima copy this text and put it on my fridge for when I give it a go. Got 1 more question for ya. My apologies for asking so many questions but your insight in this topic is damn good imo. What are your thoughts on dry aging a brisket? I've watched a few YT videos about Dry Age Brisket and it always looks really delicious to me. How would you go about dry aging and preparing a brisket? Also, last question bruv, what is the difference between dry aging a brisket and eating it and the way you last posted to me about making a brisket? I guess what I'm trying to ask is whats the difference in taste and texture?

Well, you can dry age a brisket or really any cut of beef at home, even a few days can make a difference. I typically don’t bother with it because it does take some space and a little setup.

Essentially, you’ll get a piece of meat that has less water content, (as the cut ages it will lose water) so the flavor of the beef itself will be more concentrated. Because of this, you may want to wrap it sooner in the cooking process and maybe even introduce some fat to it when you wrap it, you could use rendered beef fat, or butter (you can buy beef tallow and spread it like butter on the brisket) or whatever. You will of course wind up with a smaller cut to work with at the outset when the aging is done. Even a few days will make a difference, I wouldn’t go into aging for weeks and weeks at home without an entire really proper setup.

For a few days of dry aging, you can make a box out of a plastic tote. Perforate the hell out of it and the lid with a power drill, (except the bottom you don’t want beef juice dripping in your fridge) but you do want a good amount of airflow. Put the piece of meat onto a wire rack or something similar that fits into the storage box so you can get airlflow underneath and put some paper towels under it to catch any drippings. Pat the beef dry with paper towels before you put it into the box. - Also flip it once a day.

I personally would rub the outside of it with a little salt before placing it in the box, just a little, that will inhibit growth of anything crazy and start to build flavor and draw out moisture, If you do this step, Just remember you’ve already salted it a bit when you go to season it before the cook.

If you’re really curious you can weigh the brisket before you age it and after to get an idea of how much water has been drawn out.

A few days in a box like that will mimic the dry aging process and give you a deeper beef flavor in your cut of beef. The trade off though, is that if you get a “skin” from the drying process, the smoke won’t stick to the brisket as well as it normally would, you can remedy that a little by using mustard to stick your rub to the brisket, the tackiness will help the smoke stick to it as well.

This works for a prime rib roast too.

Back