I'm gonna try cooking steak tonight and I'm no cook

Well, you can dry age a brisket or really any cut of beef at home, even a few days can make a difference. I typically don’t bother with it because it does take some space and a little setup.

Essentially, you’ll get a piece of meat that has less water content, (as the cut ages it will lose water) so the flavor of the beef itself will be more concentrated. Because of this, you may want to wrap it sooner in the cooking process and maybe even introduce some fat to it when you wrap it, you could use rendered beef fat, or butter (you can buy beef tallow and spread it like butter on the brisket) or whatever. You will of course wind up with a smaller cut to work with at the outset when the aging is done. Even a few days will make a difference, I wouldn’t go into aging for weeks and weeks at home without an entire really proper setup.

For a few days of dry aging, you can make a box out of a plastic tote. Perforate the hell out of it and the lid with a power drill, (except the bottom you don’t want beef juice dripping in your fridge) but you do want a good amount of airflow. Put the piece of meat onto a wire rack or something similar that fits into the storage box so you can get airlflow underneath and put some paper towels under it to catch any drippings. Pat the beef dry with paper towels before you put it into the box. - Also flip it once a day.

I personally would rub the outside of it with a little salt before placing it in the box, just a little, that will inhibit growth of anything crazy and start to build flavor and draw out moisture, If you do this step, Just remember you’ve already salted it a bit when you go to season it before the cook.

If you’re really curious you can weigh the brisket before you age it and after to get an idea of how much water has been drawn out.

A few days in a box like that will mimic the dry aging process and give you a deeper beef flavor in your cut of beef. The trade off though, is that if you get a “skin” from the drying process, the smoke won’t stick to the brisket as well as it normally would, you can remedy that a little by using mustard to stick your rub to the brisket, the tackiness will help the smoke stick to it as well.

This works for a prime rib roast too.
Awesome, thank you so much!

I bought a couple pieces of ribeye and I'm doin the gordon ramsay tutorial from Youtube on how to cook steak.

Salt and pepper and some thyme. gonna be adding butter and garlic once I get cooking

Wish me luck..

20210421-114127.jpg
Hell yeah! Medium rare with the fat cooked just right

Maybe next time put the skillet in the oven at max heat for a while. Get that fucker good and hot. Just make sure when you put the steaks in there at first you pull them off the surface every couple seconds until they don't stick anymore. If the pan is super hot the fat will instabond until it's greasy.

This. I use an oven to preheat the skillet if cooking inside.

Also I don't use extra virgin olive oil because of the lower smoke point, refined olive oil is slightly better, but I use a little bit of refined avacado oil for a steak with little intermuscular fat. You want high heat on steak and making your oil smoke can fuck up the flavor.

If you're going Waygu A5...no oil needed.

Also I don't use extra virgin olive oil because of the lower smoke point, refined olive oil is slightly better, but I use a little bit of refined avacado oil for a steak with little intermuscular fat. You want high heat on steak and making your oil smoke can fuck up the flavor.
Yup. You have to use an oil with a high smoke point. I personally use grapeseed oil, but peanut or avocado is ok too I think.

Yup. You have to use an oil with a high smoke point. I personally use grapeseed oil, but peanut or avocado is ok too I think.
I like using a light tasting olive oil and butter. The butter stops the oil from burning if you're doing a really hot sear.

1.5 min each side x 4 then on indirect heat for 10 mins switching sides after 5 mins

let sit for 10 mins before eating covered with tinfoil
Just make sure you take the tinfoil off before eating your steak

I'm not a good cook by any stretch, but there's so much bad advice itt (not all of it, but a lot).

You're not gonna nail it first time, but they look like they've been boiled rather than fried because there's too much liquid in the pan. Better to do them separately and don't chuck that butter in until they're done (if you really have to).

Also, y'all saying olive oil are doing bad things. You need something with a higher temperature like peanut oil.

Bottom line is just get it hot as possible, and avoid the thing getting wet.

I like using a light tasting olive oil and butter. The butter stops the oil from burning if you're doing a really hot sear.
Mixing oils and butter doesn’t change the smoke point. It still starts smoking at the same temperature, and you end up with acrid flavors. And butter has a low smoke point itself unless you’re using clarified butter. Grapeseed oil has a super neutral flavor, much more so than olive oil. You should give that a try.

Mixing oils and butter doesn’t change the smoke point. It still starts smoking at the same temperature, and you end up with acrid flavors. And butter has a low smoke point itself unless you’re using clarified butter. Grapeseed oil has a super neutral flavor, much more so than olive oil. You should give that a try.
I have.
I like basting with butter and olive oil with thyme and garlic.

thoughts on avocado oil?

Cooked up some steak over the weekend. Australian grass feed tenderloin and ribeye. Cooked it medium rare sous vide then a quick sear on cast iron with some butter and thyme for basting.

steak1.jpg

figured we would have more sherdog steaks in here to look at. lets see people rep their methods

Back