Ilia Topuria’s huge weakness

I've said this in a few threads, but I listen to a podcast from some french/belgian former MMA coaches, and one of them knows Ilia's coach, and he said that ilia's gym didn't teach kicks....at all, so the defense and the offense there is lacking. That said, this was at least a year or two ago that I heard this and I like to think that Ilia has cross trained or brought some guys in to help him deal with kicks.

His stance is obviously absolutely horrible for dealing with leg kicks, though, so I do think that volk will have a field day there. Volk was landing like 50 leg kicks on a guy like Aldo of all people, so just a camp or two isn't going to help you much when it comes to stopping volk's kicking game.

I love how you hear things about professional gyms like this in MMA. "Oh, this gym? We don't really train defending or throwing kicks" and with wrestling you hear it a lot "this gym has no wrestling coach, no classes and no wrestlers that train here". My question is what stupid fucking head coach or even amateur or pro fighter does not realize how terrible this is formatively? Holy shit.

I love how you hear things about professional gyms like this in MMA. "Oh, this gym? We don't really train defending or throwing kicks" and with wrestling you hear it a lot "this gym has no wrestling coach, no classes and no wrestlers that train here". My question is what stupid fucking head coach or even amateur or pro fighter does not realize how terrible this is formatively? Holy shit.
Who knows? Maybe he was training at a boxing gym primarily? No need for kicking training in those gyms obviously. Who knows if any of that is accurate either.

Yup that's why he was rooting so much for Volk against Yair. Yair would be a nightmare match up for him.

Volk with his short ass legs isn't really going to expose that weakness of his

Will Volk be too drunk to study tape on Ilia though, is the question?

Keep in mind in that interview , Volk was not only dealing with

personal issues but also an injury that needed to have a possible career-

changing surgery. It had him weak, out of fighting shape & rattled yet he

STILL had the balls on 10 days notice to fight a bigger champion no one

else would take on without a full camp. WAR VOLK !

Topuria is more or less a boxer wrestler/grappler with a lowkick until his feet hurt. He is very tough though. He has been clipped before and he recovers well. I think technically Volk is a much better fighter. I think people are selling Volk short because of the last knockout. The turnaround is a bit fast but he is the man when he is on fire.

People seem to attribute so many different skills to Volk like he's the perfect fighter. Volk isn't Aldo or someone to spam kicks to stop guys. I think fighting Topuria next after the KO from Islam takes balls, and my hats off to volk, but he's the wrong side of 30 against a double weight undefeated fighter to seems find the KO most of the time. Volk drinking for weeks on his off time and getting KO'd right afterwards? I dunno, I just have the feeling that Volk knows he's accomplished what he set out to do and is tired of defending.

His biggest weakness is his mouth.
Man talks up a big game bordering on delusion.

I heard the interview. He talks as if he’s already the champion that’s his problem. If he thinks he can just walk through Volk then he just hasn’t been paying attention. The little shit is so consistent I actually think he believes his own hype which will make it so funny when he is handed his own ass.

It’s what I don’t understand from the people saying topuria is going to beat down Volk. Unless they think volk is shop worn, slow and weak chinned now, how in the world could you be so sure ilia is going to beat Volk at fw? Or anyone at fw beating Volk for that matter? I don’t think he is out of his prime and his fight iq combined with his experience and skills and elite level he has proven over and over again about being able to adjust during the fight, I don’t see him losing this. I think the way it plays out is topuria loads up on big shots trying to put Volk out in rounds 1/2 and then gets pieces up the final 3 rounds. I think Volk might get hurt once or twice early but essentially out strike Topuria the whole fight. It goes to a UD win for Volk. Tell me there is any more of a realistic difference in outcome.

I'm pulling for the Volk win, but volks Chin has never been fantastic, he's been dropped or wobbled in most of his fights since the Mendes fight, but he also happens to recover very quickly, and is pretty evasive. There's been some pretty good strikers that haven't been able to touch him.

I think Ilia is probably the hardest hitter he's faced since Mendes

if i was in there with torupia, i would leg kick ko him into submission. should be easy work for volk.

Topuria should be fighting Paddy Pimbleman, not the champion.

I've said this in a few threads, but I listen to a podcast from some french/belgian former MMA coaches, and one of them knows Ilia's coach, and he said that ilia's gym didn't teach kicks....at all, so the defense and the offense there is lacking. That said, this was at least a year or two ago that I heard this and I like to think that Ilia has cross trained or brought some guys in to help him deal with kicks.

His stance is obviously absolutely horrible for dealing with leg kicks, though, so I do think that volk will have a field day there. Volk was landing like 50 leg kicks on a guy like Aldo of all people, so just a camp or two isn't going to help you much when it comes to stopping volk's kicking game.
My old coach used to refuse to drill scrambles and wrestling. You did grappling or you did striking. He couldn't understand why his guys were getting outworked and outwrestled.

My old coach used to refuse to drill scrambles and wrestling. You did grappling or you did striking. He couldn't understand why his guys were getting outworked and outwrestled.

Yeah, and spain isn't exactly the mecca of MMA, so I wouldn't be surprised if what that french coach said was true, at least for a decent portion of ilia's career. I like to think it has changed for him in recent years, though. I don't see how it couldn't lol, but I do still think he's behind in the kicking game, both offensively and defensively.

Alex' main weakness, headkicks

Topuria was getting busted by Jai fucking Herbert and lost a round to the great Youseef Zalal. Let's calm the fuck down.

Yeah, and spain isn't exactly the mecca of MMA, so I wouldn't be surprised if what that french coach said was true, at least for a decent portion of ilia's career. I like to think it has changed for him in recent years, though. I don't see how it couldn't lol, but I do still think he's behind in the kicking game, both offensively and defensively.
I've been high on him for a while, but it feels like he's hitting his ceiling.

Back