Ilia Topuria’s huge weakness

Fatback96

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score
Leg kicks.
I’ve watched several of his fights and the guy has no answer for it.
He looks so confused when his opponent lands it and seems to just hope they don’t throw it again. Even Josh Emmett and Bryce Mitchell of all people landed a ton of leg kicks on Topuria and he had 0 answers for it.

Topuria is obsessed with Canelo and boxing so much the guy forgets that this is MMA. He sits on his lead foot so heavily that it’s bound to be exploited.

He does kick a good bit himself, but has no idea how to block one, because of his boxer’s stance.

Seems like something that will be exploited by Volk, if he isn’t too shopworn now.

Last edited:
There will be a ton of disappointed people when Volk easily cruises past Topuria. It's become fashionable in the past year to proclaim Topuria as the man to dethrone Volk, but I don't see it (unless Volk's chin was cracked by Islam's shin).

I expect Topuria to be champion at some point, but he's still pretty inexperienced. The best wins on his resume were against Emmett and Bryce, both of whom are very rudimentary on the feet. Volk's striking is far more nuanced. Topuria obviously has a puncher's chance, but outside of that, I don't think he offers much resistance to Volk.

There will be a ton of disappointed people when Volk easily cruises past Topuria. It's become fashionable in the past year to proclaim Topuria as the man to dethrone Volk, but I don't see it (unless Volk's chin was cracked by Islam's shin).

I expect Topuria to be champion at some point, but he's still pretty inexperienced. The best wins on his resume were against Emmett and Bryce, both of whom are very rudimentary on the feet. Volk's striking is far more nuanced. Topuria obviously has a puncher's chance, but outside of that, I don't think he offers much resistance to Volk.
it would be hilarious if Topuria wilted after the 3rd or 4th leg kick.

Leg kick KOs are great

Volk doesn’t have the power or range to threaten Topuria. His leg kicks are just a distraction to keep the opponent guessing, and I’d guess that Topuria has a gameplan to counter the obvious.

I've said this in a few threads, but I listen to a podcast from some french/belgian former MMA coaches, and one of them knows Ilia's coach, and he said that ilia's gym didn't teach kicks....at all, so the defense and the offense there is lacking. That said, this was at least a year or two ago that I heard this and I like to think that Ilia has cross trained or brought some guys in to help him deal with kicks.

His stance is obviously absolutely horrible for dealing with leg kicks, though, so I do think that volk will have a field day there. Volk was landing like 50 leg kicks on a guy like Aldo of all people, so just a camp or two isn't going to help you much when it comes to stopping volk's kicking game.

Leg kicks.
I’ve watched several of his fights and the guy has no answer for it.
He looks so confused when his opponent lands it and seems to just hope they don’t throw it again. Even Josh Emmett and Bryce Mitchell of all people landed a ton of leg kicks on Topuria and he had 0 answers for it.

Topuria is obsessed with Canelo and boxing so much the guy forgets that this is MMA. He sits on his lead foot so heavily that it’s bound to be exploited.

He does kick a good bit himself, but has no idea how to block one, because of his boxer’s stance.

Seems like something that will be exploited by Volk, if he isn’t too shopworn now.

He has struggles with good kickers in the past. Headkicked a few times as well. I think he beats Volk pretty handily but O Malley and Yair could give him stylistic problems.

Volk doesn’t throw fight-stopping leg kicks tho

Topuria will have to time the leg-kicks and use that while Volk is on one-foot so he can catch dem hands

I listen to a podcast from some french/belgian former MMA coaches

This is the most Fortheo thing ever lmao

His stance is obviously absolutely horrible for dealing with leg kicks, though, so I do think that volk will have a field day there. Volk was landing like 50 leg kicks on a guy like Aldo of all people, so just a camp or two isn't going to help you much when it comes to stopping volk's kicking game.

I was going to write something along the lines of Volk having incredibly good leg kicks. Volk's overall MMA game is among the most sophisticated and complete in the sport. Skill for skill he's flat out better than Topuria and I'm not even counting experience.

Topuria can beat Volk once he's on the decline. Hard to say we see that now but who knows. By the time Toporia is peaking himself, Volk may be out of the sport.

It’s what I don’t understand from the people saying topuria is going to beat down Volk. Unless they think volk is shop worn, slow and weak chinned now, how in the world could you be so sure ilia is going to beat Volk at fw? Or anyone at fw beating Volk for that matter? I don’t think he is out of his prime and his fight iq combined with his experience and skills and elite level he has proven over and over again about being able to adjust during the fight, I don’t see him losing this. I think the way it plays out is topuria loads up on big shots trying to put Volk out in rounds 1/2 and then gets pieces up the final 3 rounds. I think Volk might get hurt once or twice early but essentially out strike Topuria the whole fight. It goes to a UD win for Volk. Tell me there is any more of a realistic difference in outcome.

My guess is also there are some people bored with Volk now and want a new champion and they see this brash uber confident shit talker in Ilia and would like to see him as champion. And he has skills no doubt about it and I believe he will be champion someday. I just don’t think it’s his time as Volk still in his prime and that fight iq/champion experience mixed with his elite skills just don’t think the young lion is going to win.

Back