• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

If You Want Your Door Dash, You Better Tip

I always tip but it's kind of a problem on these decentralized food services that the "employees" essentially think they're entitled to berate customers and tell them their whole life story instead of doing their job. Nowhere else would that kind of behaviour towards paying customers would be acceptable; supervisors would correct it immedialy and they would be fired if it continued. I don't care why you're doing UberEats, how your liberal arts degree didn't pan out, how sad your life is and how bitter you are, be a fucking professional do your job. This is entry level stuff, you're not going to get rich.

People saying it's their job are ignoring the base pay is criminally low if you don't tip them. You may not have been the one to make it that way, but it doesnt change the equation at all. And they're independent workers, so if you decide not to tip they can decide not to travel 10 to 15 miles to get your food for $2- $4.

Wow! Sounds like many have had some terrible drivers (or perhaps some other issues).

I've had many a client strike up conversations when I was DD GIG'en. If I wasn't rushed I always chatted. Met some pretty cool folks.

Still do, though a completely different tier.

Edit - Mind I shifted into doing gig work after a job layoff of 12 years in the Comm Industry.

Didn't feel like a new grind at 54 (took severance and relaxed a couple years).

Decided to Semi-Retire and work 20+ ish hrs a week...

So easy money...

Last edited:
1) So you have to tip BEFORE you get the service - not knowing if your food will arrive an hour later, cold & sampled or quickly, fresh & untouched? Pass.

2) Who the fuck are all these people ordering McDonald's delivered? It's McDonald's. They're everywhere. There's one within 5 minutes of you. Get off your ass.

Stop being lazy and go pick-up your food.

If you don’t tip for a person who picks up your food at a restaurant and brings it to your door, then you are an asshole anyway. So good.
Yeah facts. Having worked at a bar for years, I saw daily the importance of tipping.

1) So you have to tip BEFORE you get the service - not knowing if your food will arrive an hour later, cold & sampled or quickly, fresh & untouched? Pass.

2) Who the fuck are all these people ordering McDonald's delivered? It's McDonald's. They're everywhere. There's one within 5 minutes of you. Get off your ass.
yea tipping before the service is provided is dumb

Honestly I come from a non tipping culture and much prefer the tipping culture. The service is sooooo much better. I've lived in Australia too. The service was absolute shit.

The problem is the sense of entitlement which comes with tipping culture. All servers think they deserve great tips, despite many of them doing a really shitty job.

I deliver doordash some for extra cash. It shows me the offer before I accept it. Base pay is like $2.50.. but during dinner and lunch when it's really busy doordash will up that pay $ 1-3 to get more drivers

So it will say "accept this order $5 for 6 miles"?

There's no penalty for not accepting orders. Basically I won't accept anything less than 8 bucks and my rule of thumb is always make $2 per mile I drive. So if you don't tip it's just gonna take a long time for anyone to accept your order. My acceptance rate is at like 20 percent so I decline most orders. But hey someone will drive their car into the ground for little money, I think alot of people doordashing don't do any research and are fooled into thinking they have to accept orders. Also if nobody picks it up doordash will offer it to you again and ad a little more money to make it worthwhile. Or they'll stack it to another order you're taking so itll say "pick up this second order to make $5 extra bucks" and it will get taken that way.

Basically if you want your food semi fresh and fast tip well. If you don't care about that don't tip anything and eventually you'll get it.

Also people are idiots trying to make this a full-time gig. It's a good way to make extra cash, but not a reliable way to make a living. Me having a regular job makes it super chill.. if doordash isn't popping off I just don't do it.

Last edited:
I don’t understand ordering fast food at home. It’s not fast or hot by the time it reaches your house. Could’ve beaten and robbed your neighbor for food by then.
It's faster, healthier and cheaper if you just cook your own shit if you are already at home.

$2-$3 per mile earned or the order get's swiped left...

Guarantee it...

Restaurant takes too long... Order gets swiped left...

Source: Me - I did DD for like 4 months...

I know nothing about DD, I take it my driver/delivery person can see if I tip before hand?
My standard across the board is a $5 tip for every order. Is that typical or am I a cheap prick?

I was so poor I had two pairs of jeans and a pair of sweatpants as a kid. I was the first person in my family to go to college. Shit we even had food stamps for a bit growing up.

So you can shut the fuck up with your dumb shit.

I might be an asshole or not. but you best believe if we were face to face you would not say that shit to me little boy
You sound like a well adjusted and mature individual.

Reminds me of that vid where that chick got over 30% tip and still refused to deliver and rode away with food. Can't remember if it was skipthedishes or uber

Think she got canned though.

Anyone who can afford it but doesn’t tip well be it delivery or sit down is an asshole.
It's taken as an insult in Asia when you leave a tip.

Point is, it's pretty stupid American culture thing.

Reactions: Isa
The amount of nasty fuckers I have stopped at work who drive for food delivery places has legitimately made me refuse to do door dash or uber eats.

Like nasty fucking tweakers, dirty ass cars, etc driving around people's food.

If true and a problem all Uber Eats and Door Dash have to do is not reveal the tip until after the item is delivered.

SO when the carrier sees the order and where it is going they simply will not know if a tip is included until they drop the item off.

It's taken as an insult in Asia when you leave a tip.

Point is, it's pretty stupid American culture thing.
I'm fine with either system and have spent a lot of time in both.

That said, i prefer the American system where the server gets a base pay (that I do think should be higher) but then the customer gets to provide the tip and increase or decrease it based on quality of service. I have had some great service and some poor service so I don't want the tip baked in, regardless.

Back