If you had $1,000,000 what would you do for BJJ?

I really don't see where you're coming from on this one. Do you also hate the people who built the Eiffel tower in France, the Empire state building in NY, Mt. Rushmore, or how about Michelangelo's "David".

this is a "7 star" Hotel which is clearly an investment, and not a "waste". If he keeps making money from his investments he can keep giving it out to charities.

Come on, Mikey, if you're going to talk sculptures, at least talk about the best. Bernini's David blows away Michelangelo's. His sculptures are on a completely different level.

davidstatue.jpg

And really, is it THAT unreasonable to say that the $650,000,000 it took to build the Burj-Al-Arab could have been better spent? I don't think so. Don't get me wrong, I want to see places like Mt. Rushmore before I die, but was it the best was for the money to be spent? I don't know. I feel like the answer is no, but it is a subjective matter and I certainly don't think redaxe's opinion is unreasonable.

As for what I would do for BJJ (or Judo) with a million dollars... not a god damn thing. I have loved one's who need to be taken care of.

Come on, Mikey, if you're going to talk sculptures, at least talk about the best. Bernini's David blows away Michelangelo's. His sculptures are on a completely different level.

davidstatue.jpg

And really, is it THAT unreasonable to say that the $650,000,000 it took to build the Burj-Al-Arab could have been better spent? I don't think so. Don't get me wrong, I want to see places like Mt. Rushmore before I die, but was it the best was for the money to be spent? I don't know. I feel like the answer is no, but it is a subjective matter and I certainly don't think redaxe's opinion is unreasonable.

As for what I would do for BJJ (or Judo) with a million dollars... not a god damn thing. I have loved one's who need to be taken care of.

I'm partial to Auguste Rodin.

I would start a new USA based event similar to ADCC with significant cash prizes/pay, and lots of superfights. maybe even have it superfight based with occasional tournaments similar to MMA.

I think this would be cool. I'd like to see it done with even more than $1,000,000 to fund it for a while. Have multiple events during year, like a mini PGA tour. Maybe give out $50,000 to the absolute winner and 25,000 to the weight class winners. Or if it was super fight tournament, maybe 15,000 for the winner and 7,500 for the loser. Hefty bonus for a submission, or maybe make a sub league type of thing. Pay the big competitors and their coaches to fly out and provide lodging. Maybe work out a deal for it to be on ESPN 2 or something. They've aired karate tournaments kata and all, so why not? Have enough to fund it for five years and see if it can get enough sponsors etc to go on its own. They might not be enough grapplers and it might be too boring for the non training fan, but I'd like to see it get a try. As a part of the promotion, maybe you could have a chartiable arm that set up BJJ schools for poor kids in the cities or something. I have no idea what all that would cost to set up and adminster-5,000,000?

I'd make a gym. Top Level BJJ, Judo, Karate, Muay Thai, Boxing, and maybe even Thai Chi/Kung Fu/Fencing/Kendo instruction, and possibly a dietitian + personal trainer staff.

The facility would be non-profit with some kind of reward/bonus program for people actively engaged in charity/volunteer work reducing prices.

A veritable wealth of knowledge available to all, that encourages people to help others, where someone can learn basically any or all aspects of the fight game.

That's what I would do with $1,000,000 or well, with what's left of it =)

Where the fuck do you live that you can open a savings account at 4%?

as before, not every country took it in the ass from the GFC, Australia is one such country where you could get that return or better.

as before, not every country took it in the ass from the GFC, Australia is one such country where you could get that return or better.

Hmmmm, now all I need is that million and I'm away :icon_chee

I would just continue to train BJJ like I have been,
put that money to use on university education fees and what not!!

Yer Australia and our still good bank rates :D

But what would I do? I think bjj is a great way of instilling discipline and self confidence and as such i would fund a bjj program in the local juvenile prison. I don't think that this would cause huge increase in fights, could do something like if you start fights you're out, 3 strike policy ect. Would also give the younger more frail members a chance to defend themselves.
That or just go to some awesome seminars....

I'm partial to Auguste Rodin.

I can't comment, as I am not sure I have ever seen Rodin's work in person. I have, however, seen sculptures by both Michelangelo and Bernini, including "David" and Bernini was on a whole different level. The Rape of Proserpina is the most amazing piece of art I have ever seen in my life, and Bernini was only 23 when he carved it.

I'm no accountant and I don't want to bug my wife, how would this work.

In australia you can get a 4% return, but AUS currency is currently what? 10% below USD?

edit - 13%?

What's the cost of goods/living there? etc.

May not turn out for the best

I'm no accountant and I don't want to bug my wife, how would this work.

In australia you can get a 4% return, but AUS currency is currently what? 10% below USD?

edit - 13%?

What's the cost of goods/living there? etc.

May not turn out for the best

Yeah there must be a catch or else a lot of people would just go invest their money in Australia. For starters their inflation rate is higher at 2.88% vs. the US at 2.02%

Yeah there must be a catch or else a lot of people would just go invest their money in Australia. For starters their inflation rate is higher at 2.88% vs. the US at 2.02%

lol the sample set I ran, you made approximately 13% more interest...but since it was in australian dollars, it ended up being the same. almost to the penny. aha.

I assumed that it was implied that with a million you'd take care of your family/self. But I assumed that since it was money won and not earn, more people would find a way to help others out. Whether it is setting up a school or having more tournaments so pros can make more money. Also, a million dollars won't last me the rest of my life, if you won that much money I would attempt to spend some of it in a way that left a lasting impression.

Re-read the thread title, Its not what would you do w/ a million dollars, its what would you do for bjj w/ a million dollars.

This is a stupid question then. I would not spend a million dollars that I just won (when I would need it...), on a worldwide sport that is probably worth billions. Not to mention it still is growing rapidly.

Back