If you had $1,000,000 what would you do for BJJ?

NextPrez

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Lets say that you won $1 million dollars. How would you give back to the sport of Brazilian Jiu-jitsu? What would you do for your school?

Personally, I think I would come up with some form of bjj scholarship. It could be used to help bjj players while they are in school and tight on money. My school is doing very well right now. We have a nice, new facility. So I would ask my head instructors if they had any ideas.

I'm curious to see what others would do. Given this ideal scenario how would you give back to the sport that has given us so much? What is some option or tool you wish you had through out your practice of bjj?

You don't need a million dollars to start a BJJ scholarship. My school does it (Membership Prices | Robot BJJ)

In any case, if I had a million dollars, I would pay off my parents' home, buy myself a home, pay off my family's debt, buy myself a car, etc etc etc. It would take a long time before that money ever reached BJJ, and when it would it probably just buy another year of training.

I would spend it all on a massive marketing campaign to rebrand it "Luta Livre".

i'd buy my mother a house, and a little flat for myself in hawaii. then spend the rest of my life surfing and training @ penn's academy.

it would be fucking awesome.

I would start a new USA based event similar to ADCC with significant cash prizes/pay, and lots of superfights. maybe even have it superfight based with occasional tournaments similar to MMA.

I would start a new USA based event similar to ADCC with significant cash prizes/pay, and lots of superfights. maybe even have it superfight based with occasional tournaments similar to MMA.

I could get into that! I heard Marc Laimon say he's waiting for a multi million air to pay BJ and Aoki grapple for 10 min

I would fund Team Garcia, and make sure they all get to show their skills at Worlds.

I could get into that! I heard Marc Laimon say he's waiting for a multi million air to pay BJ and Aoki grapple for 10 min

eh, I can think of better ones, but we'll see. This is something I think about all the time. if I'm ever successful its' going to happen... there's like a 2% chance I'll ever be that successful though.

Matches I want to see would be more like:

BJ Penn vs Cobrinha

Aoki vs Genki Sudo

Pablo Popovich vs Georges St. Pierre

Sergio Moraes vs Daniel Moraes

Bill Cooper vs Nick Diaz

Jeff Glover vs Nate Diaz

Gui Mendes vs Jose Aldo

Ryan Hall vs Keny Florian

absolute-

Rafa Mendes vs Marcelo Garcia

etc.

I'd maybe get new mats or an AC that worked. Maybe a percentage of it...I don't know.

But otherwise, I'd just use that money to train in BJJ and judo as much as I could, take trips for seminars and tournaments, visit various schools, etc.

After bathing in caviar and champagne I'd support my instructor in starting his own full time gym instead of just twice a week at a gym run by a tae kwon do black belt. With all the remaining money it would be awesome to have a big seminar camp. Say, for a week with 15 or so of the worlds best instructors, two sessions a day for the week. I doubt it would cost near a million to run, especially if charging the participants so it could probably run annually for a few years. By the time the funds run dry I would hope that the event would have gained some notoriety and support whether its instructors lending their time or sponsors lending their wallets, most likely the latter

I'd get myself a home and car paid off in full. Then start a tournament org that holds monthly events

I would buy so many patches for my Gi, I would have to be given a black belt.

train

donate all my old fight shorts, since I'd clearly be purchasing a dozen new pairs

I'm a giver

With MMA taking off all over the world, I dont think theres anything you would be abe to do with a million that isnt already happening. I would get a house, help out my family and maybe get some new equipment for my gym.

Back