If we added up the scores by round, Sandhagen would have won the fight.

det_regnar_på_vår_kärlek

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
The judges who gave the fight to Dillashaw didn't agree on the rounds Dillashaw won:

(Btw, I was hoping TJ would win because I believed that would make things more interesting in the division.)
I'm not saying this fight was a robbery, but to me it was a Sandhagen win. But as as soon as the fight finished, I knew it could go either way.

The easiest way to improve judging in MMA is to add up points by round instead of letting each judge have a winner and then checking the fighter who won more scorecards as a whole.

Sandhagen won the 5th round. TJ being aggressive doesn't mean much if he was getting outstruck

The judges agreed on 3 rounds, 2 of them went to TJ.

They agreed TJ won round 1
They agreed Corey won round 2
They agreed TJ won round 3
They didn't agree Corey round 4
They didn't agree Corey won rd 5.

Your solutions removes the risk that a close round carries, which is what makes it not as valuable as a dominant round.

Sandhagen won the 5th round. TJ being aggressive doesn't mean much if he was getting outstruck
Sandhagen didn't do a lot on the feet either though. I could've gone both ways but in my opinion the clinch control gave it to TJ.

They agreed TJ won round 1
They agreed Corey won round 2
They agreed TJ won round 3
They didn't agree Corey round 4
They didn't agree Corey won rd 5.

Your solutions removes the risk that a close round carries, which is what makes it not as valuable as a dominant round.
I think I didn't phrase my solution clearly. Each round would be judged collectively. So rounds 4 and 5 would be a 10-9 for Cory.

Last edited:
Sandhagen didn't do a lot on the feet either though. I could've gone both ways but in my opinion the clinch control gave it to TJ.
Clinch control doesn’t mean shit ....close fight but Sandhagen did most of the damage imo

The judges agreed on 3 rounds, 2 of them went to TJ.
In the system I propose the fighter would take the full round even if one judge disagreed. Suppose the round was scored 10-9, 10-9 and 9-10. The round would be considered a 10-9 for the fighter who obtained the majority.

I'm glad TJ won but you might be on to something TS.
Too many close fights are determined by one judge going "That was a close round, I'll just randomly give it to fighter x". Collectively deciding each round reduces the chance of sloppy judging being the deciding factor.

In the system I propose the fighter would take the full round even if one judge disagreed. Suppose the round was scored 10-9, 10-9 and 9-10. The round would be considered a 10-9 for the fighter who obtained the majority.

I know.
In short, your system assigns the same weight to a conclusive round and a split round. I don't love it.

I'm not saying this fight was a robbery, but to me it was a Sandhagen win
If in your eyes it was a Sandhagen win, and thus that the judges should have scored it for Sandhagen, could you not argue that they robbed him of the victory that he should have been awarded?

It clearly was a Sandhagen win. He won the first round if you score it properly by favoring strikes landed and sub attempts over control. Round 2 was the only dominant round of the fight, in Cory's favor. Rounds 3-5 were all closer but the most obvious of the rounds was the 4th, also going to Cory.

Best case scenario for TJ is he only lost 48-46. Worst case is he lost 50-44.

If in your eyes it was a Sandhagen win, and thus that the judges should have scored it for Sandhagen, could you not argue that they robbed him of the victory that he should have been awarded?

It clearly was a Sandhagen win. He won the first round if you score it properly by favoring strikes landed and sub attempts over control. Round 2 was the only dominant round of the fight, in Cory's favor. Rounds 3-5 were all closer but the most obvious of the rounds was the 4th, also going to Cory.

Close rounds are essentially a toss up nowadays. I think if each round was decided by a majority we would have results that reflect reality more accurately.

Clinch control doesn’t mean shit ....close fight but Sandhagen did most of the damage imo
Then we've a different way of judging a fight, I judge it by damage and control. Yes Sandhagen did more damage but a lot of it was exaggerated by the blood. TJ had far more octagon control and clinch/ground control.

Cory for sure didn't lose that 5th round. You want argue a different round cool but not the 5th. That's embarrassing by the judges...

It's not a computer system. Judges decide on whoever did better overall.
TJ won. I had no problems with that decision.

Cory deserves the loss based solely on doing so much spinning crap.

Or did I miss the memo and it was a 5th graders taekwondo tourney?

Rewatch the fight son, TJ apart from the scar and jabs (which meant shit) no really damage was done

That happens all the time. I’m very close rounds it could have gone either way. I thought dilly won 1 3 and 4. I can see how many rounds could have been flipped for either guy.

It was the right call for judges. Rounds 1-3 were all clear 2-1 TJ, the last two I've seen debate even here. Judges made some wack calls that night, but they got this right. Rounds 4 and 5 were not a dominant performance or clear, very even. For me, when rounds are even then I give to the aggressor or whoever is controlling fight.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back