If GSP did return, reality is...

He'd have a tough time with Rory, Lawler, Hendricks in a rematch, and possibly Wonderboy if he really takes time to work on his TDD. And yeah I honestly think Rory is top 3 in terms of skill. Let's hope that second Lawler fight didn't take too much out of him.
Rory .. yep. Lawler can land that one punch, otherwise GSP takes it. Hendricks ... are you serious? Since random testing was forced on him he failed to make weight and got KOd in round 1. Wonderboy is great but GSP is a nightmare for him.

I would favor GSP over all of them, but some have a very good chance to take it too.

I don't see anyone beating him. He's just too big and strong for anyone to handle his ground and pound game. Sure someone could Serra him but 9/10 times he wins like before.
GSP trains at 185 .. which is smaller than basically everyone in WW, his timing was probably his biggest asset.

Rory .. yep. Lawler can land that one punch, otherwise GSP takes it. Hendricks ... are you serious? Since random testing was forced on him he failed to make weight and got KOd in round 1. Wonderboy is great but GSP is a nightmare for him.

I would favor GSP over all of them, but some have a very good chance to take it too.
I think Lawler can handily best GSP on the feet by negating his jab and has improved his takedown defense enough to defend a good amount of GSP's TDs. Eh, most people felt that he should've beat Lawler in the rematch even if it wasn't his best performance. The Wonderboy fight I think he was just really outclassed on the feet because Wonderboy is a stud and that's coming from a former non believer.

Definitely the type of striker that WW has never seen. Those guys give GSP trouble, but I think GSP would beat Woodley, Brown, and Condit again.

He got beaten by Hendricks (in my opinion), and when he fought Nick, Nick didn't put together any kind of a fight for the first few rounds. Once he kicked in though he looked like he could of owned Georges

Go away

I think Lawler can handily best GSP on the feet by negating his jab and has improved his takedown defense enough to defend a good amount of GSP's TDs. Eh, most people felt that he should've beat Lawler in the rematch even if it wasn't his best performance. The Wonderboy fight I think he was just really outclassed on the feet because Wonderboy is a stud and that's coming from a former non believer.

Definitely the type of striker that WW has never seen. Those guys give GSP trouble, but I think GSP would beat Woodley, Brown, and Condit again.
Exactly .. Hendricks at his very best was not quite good enough for GSP ... Hendricks at his not so best beat and arguably beat again Lawler. Could Lawler win? Yep .. I would not favor him though.

I saw a fairly recent (I think) article on WB where he talked about GSP always putting him on his ass. Who knows what happens in a fight though .. I would favor GSP for sure though.

I think Rory is the most well rounded WW which is why he would be the hardest fight.

I was happy when GSP said he was retiring. Go out at the top.

Now I want him to come back and show that he can be dominant again. I think Big Rigg is a test for him and I think he peaked in the first fight.

He got beaten by Hendricks (in my opinion), and when he fought Nick, Nick didn't put together any kind of a fight for the first few rounds. Once he kicked in though he looked like he could of owned Georges..

For him to survive against Lawler, Wonderboy, would be shocking now. Also the reality that the current Condit, did beat Lawler in their fight.

Ughhh what?? When did Diaz "kick in"? The post fight press conference? Cuz he literally lost every round of that fight.

Does it rhyme with mudloping?

There's a common misconception that GSP has increible 'wrestling' as a whole. No doubt it's very good, but he is generally excellent in his double leg, reactive takedowns. But wrestling is greatly about clinch and upper body control, and on this turf GSP is not exceptional, though still very good. He has a lot of strength in his base; his legs are huge and very strong. He is thus very explosive. But his upper body frame is slender: he doesn't have much punching power, or strength in the clinch, at least not relative to others like Hendricks, Woodley, and so on. The immense majority of his takedowns are thus double legs. People confuse 'takedowns' with 'wrestling'.

In the fight, GSP was going for the double at the beginning of the fight, but Hendricks had trained to time that counter knee very well. After he got hit a few times with that, GSP became much more apprehensive with his attempts, and so was not successful at getting the takedown. He was outmuscled and outworked in the clinch, by the superior wrestler. His limited success was from the distance, with jabs and kicks. I thought he lost the fight.

Georges' hyper-conservatism and safe fighting can be a double-edged sword: he makes few mistakes, but if he faces adversity he becomes even more tentative to the point where he loses the necessary momentum to dominate. And with a gritty, brawling, strong forward moving dude like Hendricks it put him on the receiving end. That's what happened against Hendricks, I think. Had he gone more aggressively for the double leg, without fear for the knee, he might and I believe could have been more successful, though obviously would have opened himself to the risk of the counter. The knees made him fold and the result was he couldn't figure out the puzzle and win on his feet decisively.

Hendricks could very well emulate that technique today. I don't think it would work, because GSP is very smart, and he would not make the same mistakes. Hendricks has lost since not because he is an inferior version of himself, but because he has faced different fighters with different strengths and techniques. Robbie and Thompson are not easily flustered, they are superior strikers, and are also very strong in their own right. Nobody is as well rounded and overall as capable of winning against any kind of opponent as GSP, though.

Last edited:
Wonderboy hasn't earned the claim that he could stay on his feet against GSP yet. He couldn't completely dominate the range and pick gsp apart like he did to Hendricks. GSP's movement is way better than Hendricks'. I'd be confident that GSP could put him on his back repeatedly if they fought. Thompson would be relying on landing a hard shot at the beginning of a round.

The shorter Hendricks stood with GSP, the key being he had the grappling to make it possible. That is what it comes down to, would Wonderboy be able to keep it standing against GSP, I think he would. He has better footwork/range control than Hendricks. He is a lengthier fighter, meaning GSP is the one who would have to get inside. & he was able to nullify Hendricks wrestling, a fighter who arguably beat GSP in both the standup and grappling. I think Wonderboy has proven he is a threat to every single fighter in the division, including the late great GSP. Thompson wouldn't be relying on a single hard shot. I don't know what makes you think that, that is never been how he fights. He isn't a punchers chance kind of a fighter. He is a very technical striker who picks his opponents apart. He would fight GSP the same way he fought Hendricks. Defend the takedown, control the range, keep GSP on the outside, use his footwork/length/superior striking against a fight who needs to get inside on him. Hendricks would stick and move against GSP. If GSP could not get him down, I think Wonderboy's striking would take over in this fight.

GSP could beat the current Hendicks, Brown, Magny, Lombard, MacDonald, Lawler and even Wonderboy. The only person who wouldn't fall to his wrestling and or striking, in my opinion, is Condit.

I know MMAth is often bunk, but given how easily Wonder Boy ran through Hendricks I wouldn't give and older slower GSP a free pass on him.

I wouldn't give Georges a free pass but he sets up his take downs differently than Hendricks and even on an off night against Hendricks, GSP had more take downs than Hendricks did, in fact his round 5 take downs against Hendricks probably won him the fight.

He got beaten by Hendricks (in my opinion), and when he fought Nick, Nick didn't put together any kind of a fight for the first few rounds. Once he kicked in though he looked like he could of owned Georges..

For him to survive against Lawler, Wonderboy, would be shocking now. Also the reality that the current Condit, did beat Lawler in their fight.
I thought GSP lost the Hendrcks fight too.

GSP would wreck Lawler though let's be real here. Wonder boy vs. GSP would be a good fight, but GSP would double leg him rather easily if he found himself not wanting to stand with him.

Condit would lose every round 10-9 to GSP.

GSP could beat Conor with one arm secured to one of his legs and I mean his left arm secured to his right leg, go ahead and cross his ass up then watch him make a "reality is" statement.
I'm a fan of both guys but i'd love to see GSP landing those superman jabs at Connor's face for 5 rounds

Stopped reading at "beaten by Hendricks".

Part of me thinks GSP is still the most effective fighter @170 and could still be champ, but if he came back and got smashed I wouldn't be THAT shocked either

Hmmm if and only if Lawlors TDD is perfect he beats GSP IMO. If i remember Hendricks did manage to take him down a few times, so why not GSP.

other problems potentially Lombard as he is good @ 170 and the evasive style and reach of wonderboy might give GSP problems. i have no faith in the condits and others

Hendricks is a shell of his former self and would get destroyed by GSP. Lawler has a punchers chance of getting the TKO but I'd favour GSP to out point him. Condit loses the same way again and wonderboy will never fight rush as they are friends and training partners. point I'm trying to make is that GSP is STILL the betting favourite vs any WW.

Back